• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

NCFC MLS bid/General Soccer Bizzo

Canada's men's team might actually get a sniff at a World Cup berth in 2026 now...their one and only appearance was a disaster where they went 0-3 and failed to score a single goal back in 1986.

They automatically qualify as a host nation. The field will be expanded to 48 by then, so Canada probably won't be able to "top" their 1986 disaster. Mostly because they'll probably only get two games.

I guess 10 games each for Canada and Mexico is about what I expected. Most likely majority of the 3rd world countries voted for Morocco but so did Belgium and Netherlands. I believe the closest potential games to us would be in DC at FedEx field, Charlotte is no longer on the list.

Nashville, Atlanta, DC, Orlando and Miami represent the southeastern US in the list of eligible host cities. They still have to narrow the list from 17 down to 10 ... so a couple of those are likely to be chopped. DC and Orlando are pretty much locks.

They automatically qualify as a host nation. The field will be expanded to 48 by then, so Canada probably won't be able to "top" their 1986 disaster. Mostly because they'll probably only get two games.

JB, I read somewhere that FIFA has not yet officially awarded all three host nations automatic bids and that was to be voted upon at a later date. I realize the field is expanding to 48 so it should be fairly easy to do those 3 automatic bids, but I wanted to see it officially to believe it...it's FIFA afterall... ;)

JB, I read somewhere that FIFA has not yet officially awarded all three host nations automatic bids and that was to be voted upon at a later date. I realize the field is expanding to 48 so it should be fairly easy to do those 3 automatic bids, but I wanted to see it officially to believe it...it's FIFA afterall... ;)

Put it this way ... it would be the first time that FIFA did not award a host nation an automatic spot if they were to fail to award the hosts in 2026, including the only other time there have been co-host countries ... both Korea and Japan got automatics in 2002. With the increased field size and CONCACAF getting 6 slots, yeah. Even a traditional FIFA truckload of cash won't mess that up.

Is Germany out of the World Cup now?

No, they’re in the Group Stage. There are 4 teams in the group, top 2 advance to the knockout stages. They play a round robin so they play Sweden on Saturday and South Korea on 6/27. They should win both, whic will probably be enough to advance.

Germany is out now.

I saw where a tie in standings will be broken by fewer yellow cards? That's a problem of too few goals. Might as well flip a coin.

Also Wayne Rooney is officially going to DC United in MLS

Last edited:
Germany is out now.

I saw where a tie in standings will be broken by fewer yellow cards? That's a problem of too few goals. Might as well flip a coin.

Not will be broken by yellow cards ... could be. Big difference. You'd have to wade through goal differential and total goals scored first, which would determine 90% of all ties, historically. Then fair play ... or lack of cards ... comes into it.

Germany is out now.

Also Wayne Rooney is officially going to DC United in MLS

The first tiebreaker is goal differential, then goals scored. The fair play tiebreaker is well down the list but Japan just advanced over Senegal because they had 2 fewer yellow cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would prefer to see a stat like shots on goal to decide a tie. Or maybe saves. or even corner kicks.

That's what you prefer. I'm fine with trying to find away to recognize that teams like Panama who would otherwise limit free play by committing 500 fouls a game are a blight on the game. Who gives a crap how many times a team jacks up a completely hopeless shot from 30 yards away? Oh ... Bill Peters.

I would prefer to see a stat like shots on goal to decide a tie. Or maybe saves. or even corner kicks.

God no, that would be awful. Fair Play points are widely used as secondary or tertiary tiebreakers is many places in soccer (i.e., deciding which teams from domestic teams in Europe qualify for Europa League). Don't fix something that isn't broken.

500 fouls a game? Is that all? why not go for a full 1000?

I have a better idea - have judges who can figure out most fake injuries or dives. Like when a guy falls over like he was hit by a dump truck when someone gets near to him (but doesn't actually touch him). And we have the guy who can train the judges right here. the king of all dives , coach K!!! :smilielol5:

Oh. Sorry. I forgot I'm not allowed to exaggerate to make a point ... but speaking of exaggeration ...

Fake injuries and dives ... I counted one in the entirely of today's England/Belgium game. That's got the be the single most exaggerated thing about International football. It happens (I give you Neymar Jr) ... but only about 10% as much as people complain about it happening. And there would be less players on the ground if there was more respect for the fair play rules. Which is why the yellow and red card count SHOULD matter ... and does.

nobody ever debates if a shot, save , corner kick is legit right? Pretty black and white on those. But a yellow card? not nearly as cut and dried in all cases. So that's a big difference.

Oh. Sorry. I forgot I'm not allowed to exaggerate to make a point ... but speaking of exaggeration ...

Fake injuries and dives ... I counted one in the entirely of today's England/Belgium game. That's got the be the single most exaggerated thing about International football. It happens (I give you Neymar Jr) ... but only about 10% as much as people complain about it happening. And there would be less players on the ground if there was more respect for the fair play rules. Which is why the yellow and red card count SHOULD matter ... and does.

Well, it didn't happen today in England/Belgium because nobody realllllly cared who won that match. Diving (and not just the "drawing of the foul" going to ground, it's the faux agony as they thrash about the ground) is THE most frustrating thing for me trying to become more of a futbol fan the last couple years.... the second-most is the mob from both sides that charges at the ref to within an inch of his face to scream about the diving, or lack of diving, or whatever... If I was the ref, I'd be throwing yellow cards like candy from a parade if anyone with an attitude and without a captain's armband got within 10 feet of me.

Well, it didn't happen today in England/Belgium because nobody realllllly cared who won that match. Diving (and not just the "drawing of the foul" going to ground, it's the faux agony as they thrash about the ground) is THE most frustrating thing for me trying to become more of a futbol fan the last couple years.... the second-most is the mob from both sides that charges at the ref to within an inch of his face to scream about the diving, or lack of diving, or whatever... If I was the ref, I'd be throwing yellow cards like candy from a parade if anyone with an attitude and without a captain's armband got within 10 feet of me.
Again ... meh. There’s some of the over acting, but not nearly as much as advertised. Everybody knows the rules going in and fair play should be rewarded over rampant hacking and fouling. And yes, I watched Senegal play. They paid for being ill disciplined.

I’m just not buying all the fake outrage over a tie breaker not a soul complains about until it’s actually applied. Not accusing you of anything, but there’s a LOT of it going on today.

Last edited:
I have no problem with a bottom-tier fair play tiebreaker. That statement really has nothing to do with my own few issues about the goings-on. My disgust with the ground thrashers have nothing whatsoever to do with their indirect effect on the tiebreaker just above "WGAF, just flip a coin"; as you say, everyone knows the rules.

NC courage are in first place by a lot - 33 points vs. 2nd place has 22 points , they are 10-1-3. And they traded for Heather O'Reilly a top player who played for UNC and still lives in Chapel Hill.

Back