• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Galchenyuk: Out 6-to-8 Weeks (Desharnais too)

While Therrien is probably sad his boy got injured, deep down he's finally relieved he doesn't have to play Galchenyuk anymore. It's almost like he was playing him out of spite.

But most of all, he'll be able to tell everyone on the team to play his favorite grind da puk style of play. And boy, will that ever be a joy to watch.

I'm glad someone said it.

Most of you guys rate Nate very high, the guy is a 3rd pairing as we talk and didn't take his game to the next level and not sure if he will.

This team missing both Chuck and DD is worse than missing Price. Yes i would probably never thought to say this about DD also. The issue is they are both offensive centers and we have non as we talk(unless Plekanec prove me wrong!) and it makes me laugh people think MB will make a big move, last year for a relatively better market(goalie vs Center) we ended up with Ben Scrivens, good luck find a top two C.

This team missing both Chuck and DD is worse than missing Price. Yes i would probably never thought to say this about DD also. The issue is they are both offensive centers and we have non as we talk(unless Plekanec prove me wrong!) and it makes me laugh people think MB will make a big move, last year for a relatively better market(goalie vs Center) we ended up with Ben Scrivens, good luck find a top two C.

Ah yes. We will be missing those 9 points in 25 games.

No, it's not worse. Do you know how many points we got last season after Price's second injury?

Hugh? Please don't post after your meds wear off :smilewinkgrin:

DDs injury is actually offsetting the impact of AGs injury. Best news possible since AG went down.

I know you guys laugh off DD's injury but it doesn't remove the fact that with Galchenyuk, your top 2 center are now out. Yeah, DD, stats wise, is your #2 center. I know facts are hard to swallow but in the end, it's better than delusion and prejudices.

On radio this morning, we had Martin Leclerc (one of the most respected sport journalist in Montreal, he doesn't do in rumours and bullshit) got access by one of his source to email exchanges with Habs medical staff. As of today, Desharnais's case is 100% accurate but from the email exchange he got access to, Galchenyuk's situation is still not 100%. Doctors in St-Louis and in Montreal don't agree on the same severity of the injuries and more tests are probably schedule to see how Chucky's need will react. While it's still possible the estimate given will apply to Galchenyuk, there is a possibility it could be more severe and require more time.

With that information, Bergevin will have to plan a move. Can't go without your top 2 center for 2 months.

I know you guys laugh off DD's injury but it doesn't remove the fact that with Galchenyuk, your top 2 center are now out. Yeah, DD, stats wise, is your #2 center. I know facts are hard to swallow but in the end, it's better than delusion and prejudices.

On radio this morning, we had Martin Leclerc (one of the most respected sport journalist in Montreal, he doesn't do in rumours and bullshit) got access by one of his source to email exchanges with Habs medical staff. As of today, Desharnais's case is 100% accurate but from the email exchange he got access to, Galchenyuk's situation is still not 100%. Doctors in St-Louis and in Montreal don't agree on the same severity of the injuries and more tests are probably schedule to see how Chucky's need will react. While it's still possible the estimate given will apply to Galchenyuk, there is a possibility it could be more severe and require more time.

With that information, Bergevin will have to plan a move. Can't go without your top 2 center for 2 months.

This is quite possible that the estimate is cloudy on Chucky (I was even hoping that they may have overestimated his recovery time), as it is not easy to put something into a Grade 1, 2, 3, and also peoples healing times vary (see Max P). As I mentioned, while there is a grading system, there is more of a spectrum overall. So While both these guys may be a Grade 2.....maybe one is a "bad 2" or "2.5" and one is a "good 2" or " 1.5".

Furthermore, in grading these based on exam and MRI....there is room for human error. Factor that in with different protoplasm in athletes (different healing time) and I would argue that DD cannot be "100%" either. That is why these recovery times are given as a range ( and as we see people's recovery times often lie outside of these).

We will just have to see how they come along. In time we will be able to over-analyze their every stride when they resume skating.

Last edited:
We needed a centre before the injuries.

True. Everyone know that (including MB I hope). So, this raises an interesting question that I dont think there is a definitive answer for but would be interested in hearing the opinions..... Is it better for MB to bite the bullet now and trade for a (non - Scrivens) center, knowing that we have needed a C all year,and do even more now. Does he do this even dealing from a position of perceived weakness ?

A lot of people are saying no, and hold the fort, buckle down, etc. While this makes sense in some respects,,,,,,what if we lose 5 in a row or 5 of 7 and drop in the standings ? The need is likely accentuated, as is the position of weakness. So does MB anticipate this and act prophylactically ? or is he that confident we can get through without too much damage ?

Unless MB is willing to get raped, he's not in a position to deal for a top-2 C, and solution will have to come from within the org. Danault, Lekhonen, Scherbak playing C as he's done some in AHL, and a distant 4th being McCarron.

We saw what holding down did to us last year. I think MB knows that you can just place all your hopes into that situation.

On the other end, I don't think we have the assets to make a trade for a top 2 center. Our farm team is pathetic, and even if we wanted to put in play our 1st rounder, right now, it's a bottom of the round pick and not very attractive.

I'd be suprised if we can pull a big move. He will probably just trade bits to get another 3rd line center like Hanzal and hope for the best.

I disagree, we have the assets to trade for a top 2 center, it all depends on what we are willing to part with.

Back