• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey League Tanking Problem

Boot Deckie that cheat

Hey, you found the right thread!!

In all seriousness, I didn't really know it was a thing, the 6 reserve players being a no-no. Pretty sure I've only had one goalie on my roster before. Anyhoo, I'll fix before the next lineup period.

Yeah, we had floated the idea of 1 PPG top-up before. Let's implement it now. It's the simplest solution that is fairly easy to do and has a little teeth.

I totally understand that it's a long season and people can sometimes get really busy or forget to set their rosters. So I'm not super-crazy about taking away picks, though it is definitely on the table. It's just ridiculous to keep doing it though, especially after the multiple discussions we've had on the topic, and on top of that totally unfair to people who actually do set their lineups properly. I'm simply too busy right now to have to deal with this nonsense over and over.

So 1 PPG top-up is a done deal, and if people continue to roster less than the minimum # of active roster spots, or bench players who should not be benched, post it here and we can discuss whether further sanctions (including loss of picks) are necessary. Perhaps something like a 1st round pick gets dropped to the last pick of the first round.

And yeah, it's 5 bench spots. But we changed it to allow for 6 when we realized that playing 2 active #1 goalies all year long would shoot teams well over the max too early in the season.

Yeah, we had floated the idea of 1 PPG top-up before. Let's implement it now. It's the simplest solution that is fairly easy to do and has a little teeth.

I totally understand that it's a long season and people can sometimes get really busy or forget to set their rosters. So I'm not super-crazy about taking away picks, though it is definitely on the table. It's just ridiculous to keep doing it though, especially after the multiple discussions we've had on the topic, and on top of that totally unfair to people who actually do set their lineups properly. I'm simply too busy right now to have to deal with this nonsense over and over.

So 1 PPG top-up is a done deal, and if people continue to roster less than the minimum # of active roster spots, or bench players who should not be benched, post it here and we can discuss whether further sanctions (including loss of picks) are necessary. Perhaps something like a 1st round pick gets dropped to the last pick of the first round.

And yeah, it's 5 bench spots. But we changed it to allow for 6 when we realized that playing 2 active #1 goalies all year long would shoot teams well over the max too early in the season.

Just want to make sure i'm using the extra reserve slot correctly. I benched Talbot this week so so I can maximize Dubnyk's GP and not hit the GP max by end of jan.

I envision a scenario where a competitive team could benefit from a 1ppg top-up and be in the money - are we cool with that?

I envision a scenario where a competitive team could benefit from a 1ppg top-up and be in the money - are we cool with that?

I'd imagine we would have to do something like bottom 5 or 10 get topped up only and that it can't push anyone into the money zone (top 5)

I'm in another Fantrax Dynasty - and they have a team minimum games played limit, rather than individual player minimums. It gives rebuilding teams a target to shoot for - but doesn't penalize them for having developing players on their roster (guys that may bounce between AHL/NHL during the season).

Also - there is no reason that people should be able to roster less than the minimum number of active roster slots - shouldn't that trigger an illegal roster in FANTRAX?

I vote that we keep things as they are, top-ups and expanded draft lottery effectively eliminate the need to drop to last place which is the only real problem with 'tanking'.

Rebuilding is not cheating, especially if a GM has to pay into somebody else's winnings while doing it.

This will be my first crack at rebuilding a team in this league, and I'd like to make my visit at the bottom as short as possible. If rules are put into place that make the process longer - as in forcing a GM to pick 3rd/4th line plugs over guys with upside, then that's a problem IMO... and yeah, it'd be hard to recruit a GM to pay to take over a rebuilding roster, so why push the paying guys out of the league?

Last edited:
Also - there is no reason that people should be able to roster less than the minimum number of active roster slots - shouldn't that trigger an illegal roster in FANTRAX?

I vote that we keep things as they are, top-ups and expanded draft lottery effectively eliminate the need to drop to last place which is the only real problem with 'tanking'.

Rebuilding is not cheating, especially if a GM has to pay into somebody else's winnings while doing it.

This will be my first crack at rebuilding a team in this league, and I'd like to make my visit at the bottom as short as possible. If rules are put into place that make the process longer - as in forcing a GM to pick 3rd/4th line plugs over guys with upside, then that's a problem IMO... and yeah, it'd be hard to recruit a GM to pay to take over a rebuilding roster, so why push the paying guys out of the league?

2 of the top 3 teams have completely rebuilt while fully rostering players.

It takes time and effort (probably 2-3 years) and some luck but it can be done.

The top up can't be used for competing, only for draft pick positioning.

ive taken the injury bug a fair bit this year at W and D. Obviously as a contender i am not tanking.

Would i get a 1 fp/g bump for missed games as well?

Back