• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Looks like Darlington Nagbe's move to Celtic has been complicated by Bruce Arena's attempts to integrate him back into the USMNT fold in January camp. Stay tuned.

£60mill is the fee being reported. I get Chinese clubs paying crazy wages to attract players but I don't get this need to overpay hugely on transfer fees.

Just a lack of savvy in general, I think. English clubs used to do the same to the upstart Russian clubs back when their oil boom saw them spending money like drunken Cossacks.

Another big money signing in China, not from the Prem though. Carlos Tevez is leaving Boca Juniors in Argentina for Shanghai Shenhua for a reported fee of £9 million. it was originally reported that his weekly wages would be £615,000 but that appears to be incorrect. Reports from China indicate that it's a 2 year deal worth £32 million, including the transfer fee. Tevez had over 200 appearances in the Prem for West Ham, Man U and Man City. And if anyone wondered where Gus Poyet was after Sunderland sacked him, he's at Shanghai Shenhua, after brief stops at AEK Athens and Real Betis.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3027973/...-for-shanghai-shenhua-in-chinese-super-league

I think their initial offer was 19 million, so they extracted another 3. Everton has kind of been floundering since finishing 5th a few years ago. Hopefully this helps.

I think their initial offer was 19 million, so they extracted another 3. Everton has kind of been floundering since finishing 5th a few years ago. Hopefully this helps.

Hopefully, he gives us another option in midfield. Gueye was stellar at the start of the year but his play has dropped off..... and Barry cant play forever.

Wonder if it spells the end of James McCarthys time at the club? Have been rumours suggesting he might be on his way even before Schneiderlin arrived.

Hopefully, he gives us another option in midfield. Gueye was stellar at the start of the year but his play has dropped off..... and Barry cant play forever.

Wonder if it spells the end of James McCarthys time at the club? Have been rumours suggesting he might be on his way even before Schneiderlin arrived.

It probably means the end of Tom Cleverley's time at Everton. He's headed back to Watford on loan and they have an option to make it permanent.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38593150

It probably means the end of Tom Cleverley's time at Everton. He's headed back to Watford on loan and they have an option to make it permanent.
That makes sense as well, he never quite forced his way into the starting lineup very often.

That makes sense as well, he never quite forced his way into the starting lineup very often.

Cleverly should have stuck at Villa. He was settled into a valuable role and playing well alongside Delph and offered a decent wage to stick around on a free transfer. As it turns out the guy hasn't played more than a half season of steady first team football since the last time he was at Watford like 7 years ago. Shame, because the guy can be a useful player in the right role.

I love the Schneiderlin move. He's badly wanting to play and Everton could certainly use the quality. Barry is older than dirt and Gueye, as you've seen, can be a bit erratic.

Middlesbrough have signed Patrick Bamford to a 4-1/2 deal with undisclosed terms. He spent first half of the season on loan at Burnley. He played for Boro on loan in 14-15 and was named Championship Player of the Year. Since signing with Chelsea in the January 2012 window, he made 0 appearances with the senior team and went on loan to MK Dons, Derby County, Boro, Crystal Palace, Norwich and Burnley.

The article also notes that Boro signed Rudy Gestede from Aston Villa.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38669717

There have been rumors for a couple of weeks that once they got Bamford sorted, Boro would sell Jordan Rhodes along to Villa. Then they bought Gestede and Villa spent their money on Forest's captain Henri Lansbury ... so ... Look. Villa needed a creative passer in midfield WAY more than they need another striker. So, good on them for once.

Also, looks like a buyout of Nottingham Forest's current ownership fell through at the last possible minute late last week, which led to their manager being sacked and their club captain sold off. That club is quickly turning into a bit of a Hull-like mess. IIRC supporters had high hopes for of big foreign money infusions when that group took over. Remember kids ... just because your new owner has middle eastern oil money, that doesn't mean he plans to spend all of it on you. Or that he has the first clue how to do so effectively.

Stoke have signed West Brom striker Saido Berahino for a fee of £12m on a five-and-a-half-year deal.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38696547

He had to get a move somewhere, so much potentially being wasted.

West Ham have signed Southampton captain Jose Fonte for £8m on a two-and-a-half-year deal.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38694821

Not sure why Fonte made such a big deal to get out of Southampton if he was going to end up further down the league. Guess London and money talks.

Back