• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Claim Rattie

I was hoping the Habs would claim him. A couple years ago he looked like a damn good prospect. Likely becomes nothing but why not? No risk.

Kind of cool that he immediately gets a chance to play tonight against the team that waived him. If the Canes are serious about giving Rattie a real chance to prove himself here he should immediately be placed on one of our top 3 lines with Nestrasil taken out of the lineup and Nordstrom or McGinn moved to line 4. Personally I would like to see this:

Skinner-Rask-Ryan
McGinn-Staal-Stempniak
Aho-Teravainen-Rattie
Nordstrom-McClement-Stalberg

You can move those top 3 RWs around however you would like, but let's not stick Rattie on line 4 please. Rattie had 4 goals and 2 assists in just 13 NHL games last year for the Blues, so while his skill set is similar to Frk's (has sniper skills, not much of a skater), Rattie actually has had some NHL success when given a chance to play. He was a victim of a deep Blues lineup this season and basically spent most of the season in the press box or playing less than 8 minutes the handful of times the Blues played him. They knew they would lose him to waivers though if they tried to send him down which is why he was stuck on the Blues roster for so long. Rattie is also a PP skill guy, so considering our PP has disappeared its probably a good idea to give him a look on the PP as well.

Last edited:
No problem with the move in picking up Rattie. Perhaps the lack of real depth on the Canes and a change in coaching and scenery will help him turn into the player he was hoped to be when selected as a 1st rounder. However, I hope Francis has more up his sleeve than continuing to claim players off waivers in trying to fix this team's woes-- Nestrasil, Dahlbeck, Nakladal, Frk.

Perhaps the lack of real depth on the Canes and a change in coaching and scenery will help him turn into the player he was hoped to be when selected as a 1st rounder.

Not trying to be picky, but for the sake of accuracy...

Rattie was actually a second round pick. He was selected 32nd in the 2011 draft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No problem with the move in picking up Rattie. Perhaps the lack of real depth on the Canes and a change in coaching and scenery will help him turn into the player he was hoped to be when selected as a 1st rounder. However, I hope Francis has more up his sleeve than continuing to claim players off waivers in trying to fix this team's woes-- Nestrasil, Dahlbeck, Nakladal, Frk.

I'm not seeing this as any kind of failure of RF's plan. I don't think he was expecting any of those guys to be the fix, however, all of them were worth picking up and giving a look to see what you might be able to do with them. I think he's looking at any and all avenues to improve the team, and low dollar waiver wire pickups that have some potential are a free way to accomplish that. It's not like any of those guys are holding anyone back that would otherwise be getting the minutes.

Heck, if he strikes gold with one of these guys it's just a bonus - or even if he just finds a serviceable role player that marginally improves the mix.

It also sends a message to the guys that they're not getting it done - especially when you put him on a top line. Notice the line he did not change... I think there's a pretty clear message in that.

I also don't think he has any plans to majorly shake anything up in terms of deadline pickups etc. Betting any moves to add for this season would be marginal improvements, or coincidental in that they're a long term improvement that also has an immediate improvement. I think he's still taking the long view - either by plan or because his hands are tied financially, or both. I don't think he's going to be willing to give up anything he sees as a long term asset for a short term payoff.

Not trying to be picky, but for the sake of accuracy...

Rattie was actually a second round pick. He was selected 32nd in the 2011 draft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hm... second rounder selected in the 30s, wearing #8, supposed to have a lot of skill... definitely wishful thinking, but if he could have a breakout year like another #8 we once had...

Sadly, I think inexpensive waiver wire pickups is about the extent of what Francis is allowed to do right now while Ponytail Pete counts his pennies and cuts his losses. I feel bad for the internal staff of this team right now...

#8 = Geoff Sanderson if you are talking about hugely successful 2nd round picks in the 30s for this franchise.

Sadly, I think inexpensive waiver wire pickups is about the extent of what Francis is allowed to do right now while Ponytail Pete counts his pennies and cuts his losses. I feel bad for the internal staff of this team right now...

Correct. All over it, in fact.

Back