• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Would you dangle Sergachev for Duchene?

My counter: Had Gomez delivered as a 60-70pt C, McDonagh's loss would not have been as much of an issue, and the Habs teams of those years were nowhere near as good/deep.

Gomez had 59 points his first season here, then the decline and a massive pining for McDonaugh ever since.

yes we're deeper, but MB should be very careful in dealing top prospects.

It's a no brainer if we want to win a cup n the next 2 years...Duchene is a perfect fit; fast, skilled and tenacious...

I don't do Sergachev + NOTHING for Duchene.... I don't think you move him without getting an ELITE talent back.

I'd move Sergachev, but not for a guy who is settled in at the 60 point mark. I think you have to do better than that if you are willing to move him. You need to get someone who really moves the needle.

If we are talking Sergachev +++ for Tavares, then sure, thats the kind of elite talent that moves the needle.

Getting a guy in Duchene who would become what, the 10th best centre in the conference (just a guess, i haven't run the list), doesn't move the needle enough to give up a potential top dman.

I get that we have to be careful with (potentially) elite prospects but if you wouldnt even do Sergachev straight up for Duchene then we will have to agree to significantly disagree. I think you underrate Duchene.

Duchene is 25, not 35.

He's 26 on Monday.

I'm not saying he's going to decline.

I'm saying that he's reached his peak... and a his peak is good but not elite.

You are going to be paying him 6 million. Instead of having an Impact defenceman on an Entry-Level Contract.

Man it would be tough to turn down a 25 year old 1st line center for a prospect. Obviously Sergachev has great upside, but there's a very good chance he never reaches that potential.

At 25 Duchene isn't likely to take much of a step up... but a 60-70 point center is really freakin good.

When Tomas Plekanac was 26 he had a 70 point season. Before that he had already had 69 point season under his belt. He plays centre and I assume he's better defensively than Duchene.

I personally don't trade Shergachev for a 26 year old Plekanec.

I understand that times are different and that the Subban trade drastically shortened our window, but it's food for thought.

He's 26 on Monday.

I'm not saying he's going to decline.

I'm saying that he's reached his peak... and a his peak is good but not elite.

You are going to be paying him 6 million. Instead of having an Impact defenceman on an Entry-Level Contract.

We don't KNOW that he will be an impact d-man, even if Provorov and Werenski seem like they will be soon.

I get that we have to be careful with (potentially) elite prospects but if you wouldnt even do Sergachev straight up for Duchene then we will have to agree to significantly disagree. I think you underrate Duchene.

We agree to disagree , MS is untouchable for MD .

27 is the only other untouchable on this team . Colorado can take a package including any other prospect , 11, 67, whatever .

You want the rooshky I want an elite ceiling guy as Ben says .

Provorov, McAvoy wont be sacrificed for MD IMO , even White , Connor , Keller , Tkatchuk among others wont be touched in deals with Matt 2 years away from UFA .

The type of deal they will have to settle for is a package for these types of players......Cotourier , Konecny , Gost, and and or Sandelein

Nobody is untouchable. It all depends on the return. You wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for Tavares? Hell yes you would and so would Bergevin.

Nobody is untouchable. It all depends on the return. You wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for Tavares? Hell yes you would and so would Bergevin.

What do those who think Sergachev is absolutely untouchable think would be an acceptable return for MD.....around the league, for example?

What do those who think Sergachev is absolutely untouchable think would be an acceptable return for MD.....around the league, for example?

bottom of my post # 49 is the type of deal that I think is the best they get, something now , 5 years and further down the road .

We don't KNOW that he will be an impact d-man, even if Provorov and Werenski seem like they will be soon.

We don't. But the value of ELCs in this league is huge. You need to have good players on cheap contracts... thats what can really be the difference between a good team and a great one, the way you can get big contributions using little cap space.

Nope , wont even make this one straight up , not losing 5 core years . 27 will cost us 7 mil , JT closer to 9 at 27 years of age .

A MacKinnon, or a Tavares, are the only [players who have been mentionned in this thread that I'd start looking at moving Sergachev for.

You can't get those type of guys for Sergachev. I'll take a 25 year old 60-70 point center and take my chances. Duchene is a win now and win in the future type pick up.

You can't get those type of guys for Sergachev. I'll take a 25 year old 60-70 point center and take my chances. Duchene is a win now and win in the future type pick up.

Straight up? Of course not.

I'm talking that Sergachev would be part of the package.

Duchene is a Team Canada regular and was the 3rd overall pick of his draft (probably being the 3rd best player behind Tavares and Hedman)... Sergachev's ceiling might be a bit higher (like Hedman?) but we'd still need some luck and developmental skill to get him to reach that. I'd do it, but I admit the UFA status does prevent it from being a no-brainer.

Back