• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

MLB Protected Lists 2017

I think this is right - let me know if I've made any mistakes!

You can keep everyone on your roster, my friend. Being a new team in the league, they have offered a one year grace period before anyone needs to be officially protected.

You can keep everyone on your roster, my friend. Being a new team in the league, they have offered a one year grace period before anyone needs to be officially protected.
Correct. Still have to adhere to roster limits but otherwise no need to protect any players.

Just to clarify, then - I am not leaving any players unprotected.

Exactly. You don't have to submit a protected list. As long as your roster has 25 MLBers and 30 players in the minors, you are good. I've looked at your roster and it does need some adjusting however.

Foltynewicz, Mike SP - ATL (over 50 gp pitcher minors limit - must be on MLB roster)
Graveman, Kendall SP - OAK (over 50 gp pitcher minors limit - must be on MLB roster)
Orlando, Paulo CF,RF - (over 150 gp batter minors limit - must be on MLB roster)
Burns, Billy CF - (over 150 gp batter minors limit - must be on MLB roster)
Saladino, Tyler 2B,SS - (over 150 gp batter minors limit - must be on MLB roster)

You'll need to fix up your roster. At first glance I see Almora and Bryan Mitchell being minors eligible, so you can send them down to free up a couple of slots. You probably have a few droppable players on your roster already so I don't see there being any real issues making your roster legal as things stand.

Last edited:
No worries. How do you move someone from MiLB to MLB?

you click on the arrow beside the player in your minor league system (green section)
the players in the MLB section eligible to be switched with the hilighted player will be hilighted (white/grey section)
you click on the arrows beside the eligible player in the white/grey section then hit submit
the players will then be switched. give it a try

Just going through these lists and found some things we may have missed:

Blueman: Where is Jeremy Hellickson? He's on your roster but he's not listed on any of your lists

Killersweet: Kurt Suzuki, Chris Withrow, Joe Smith, Jim Henderson and Wade Miley, they are all on your roster, are they unprotected? Shouldn't he have to drop a bunch of them to be legal?

I realize this is late, and Killersweet's roster issues can be solved by dropping all of the players listed as none are very vaulable. But Hellickson is an issue as he's an interesting pitcher going into this year, so he should be accounted for.

Just going through these lists and found some things we may have missed:

Blueman: Where is Jeremy Hellickson? He's on your roster but he's not listed on any of your lists

Killersweet: Kurt Suzuki, Chris Withrow, Joe Smith, Jim Henderson and Wade Miley, they are all on your roster, are they unprotected? Shouldn't he have to drop a bunch of them to be legal?

I realize this is late, and Killersweet's roster issues can be solved by dropping all of the players listed as none are very vaulable. But Hellickson is an issue as he's an interesting pitcher going into this year, so he should be accounted for.

I fixed Killersweet's roster, thank you. As for Blueman, he has some 'splaining to do. I'm of the mind that Hellickson should be marked unprotected and be eligible to be picked. Sucks for BM, but as I've said before, you are responsible for your own list and if you make a mistake, it's on you.

I'm of the mind that Hellickson should be marked unprotected and be eligible to be picked.

I'm not a fan of the rule and was against it when it was first used (because I felt it set a dangerous precedent in the event someone accidentally left a uber stud unprotected....be it a roster player or prospect.)

but the precedent was set a couple years ago when I believe Tim Horton (?) made such a mistake a no one mentioned it until i think Mindz (?) capitalized on it and snagged the guy a few rounds into the draft. By that rulling Hellickson is currently draft eligible.

I'm all for discussing that rule and potentially coming up with a better way of dealing with such things, or finding a way to prevent this from happening (maybe we should all be dropping people draft eligible, while being allowed to pick up our guys who weren't drafted for free post draft? /2 cents)

... but yeah.....If my memory is indeed accurate I think what you stated here has indeed been set as the current ruling.

Edit: this may have possibly happend in the hockey league and not baseball tho? My memory on the exact details are somewhat fuzzy.

Last edited:
.... and with Mindz selecting Sixto Sanchez we're now in a kind of ideal scenario where if Hellickson is indeed made a UFA as Deckie said.....Blueman has the option to use his 2nd and keep him if he so chooses.

Arguably the most ideal outcome for said mistake, as he doesn't lose his player, despite having left him unprotected.

These situations are always tough. It's very unlikely that it ever on purpose but nonetheless people need to be responsible for their team and shouldn't gain an advantage from a mistake (or cheating.) It also sucks to punish someone for an honest mistake.

These situations are always tough. It's very unlikely that it ever on purpose but nonetheless people need to be responsible for their team and shouldn't gain an advantage from a mistake (or cheating.) It also sucks to punish someone for an honest mistake.

I have several droppable players on my roster so clearly not trying to cheat. However I'm fine with using the 2nd rounder to make it right. Just wish I (or someone) had caught it earlier. Cheers

Just a heads up, people need to be picking up their prospects/players as they draft while dropping players to be roster compliant.

If you have 30 prospects & draft someone, you have to drop someone and pick up your new player....as anyone outside that 30 (or 25 for main roster) are draft eligible.

Can't own over 55 players once the draft starts.

Back