• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Hurricanes @ Capitals 7 PM EST

Tryamw

Television: Fox Sports-Carolinas
Radio: 99.9 FM the fan

This one is going to be tough and I predict a loss.
We are facing the Point leader for the year. and last time we faced them we lost as well.

Hope I'm wrong

Enjoy the game

Canes morning skate at 10:30. Skinner didn't practice yesterday and Peters said a couple guys are dinged up and are questionable for game time. He also wouldn't commit on a starting goalie but it would shock me if it wasn't Ward.

If you live in the Charlotte area, there is a Cool Bars at the Carolina Ale House in Concord Mills.

The last time the Caps lost in regulation at home was Dec 17th.

Not impressed?

The last time the Caps scored less than 5 goals in a game at home was January 1st. Since that game (which they won 2-1) they have outscored opponents at home 43-11 over 8 games.

Canes have managed to go 1-1-1 vs. the Caps so far this season, but were blasted in our only game @Was a couple of weeks ago. The Caps kryptonite? The New York Islanders, who managed to go 3-2-0 against the Caps in their 5 games against them this season.

On paper, on the ice, no matter how you look at this matchup its a terrible one for the Canes. A Canes win tonight would be pretty darn exciting. Heck if they can figure out a way to steal a point it would be a major accomplishment. It would sure be nice to see the Canes rise to the challenge and win one of these that no one expects them to win on the road. We have 7 road wins (@Calgary, @Nashville, @Toronto, @LA, @Buffalo, @St. Louis, @NY Islanders). No 'big time road wins' in that bunch.

Lines and pairings from the skate, with a surprise on D:

Skinner/Ryan/Stempniak
Aho/Staal/Lindholm
McGinn/Rask/Teravainen
Nordstrom/McClement/Stalberg

Slavin/Faulk
Hanisey/Pesce
Hanifin/Dahlbeck

Lack was off the ice first, so it looks like he gets the start in goal.

Yeah seriously, Peters might be looking at this one as 'we are almost certain to lose this one anyway, so why not give Lack a game here and give Cam some extended rest so he is fully ready for the Dallas game?'. If you saw my post in the MISC thread, the Canes play 29 games in 52 days to close the season coming off of their 5 day break. Lack is going to need to play SOME of those games. Or Cam might be dinged and just can't go tonight?

As for those D pairings....well, that somewhat allows us to spread our better D players across a couple of pairings? I'm not sure it really matters what we do with our pairings against the Caps. If they have it going, just about every team in the league, including the better teams, have had no answer for stopping the Caps.

I have a suspicion that the defensive pairings switch might have to do with one of Slavin or Pesce being a bit dinged up and being given a slightly decreased role tonight because of it...fewer minutes and perhaps not shutdown duty. There have been references to walking-wounded amongst the ranks.

I doubt it's some kind of strategic move to better deploy resources in an away environment where match-ups become more difficult. If so, seems like we would have seen it tried before now.

Pretty good idea to go with Lack tonight, considering it's a game where we look bad on paper against WA, and you have a goalie who is (hopefully) chomping at the bit to prove a point. If it fails, Cam gets a night off against an opponent we weren't expected to beat anyway.

D pairings look to spread Pesce and Slavin over two scoring lines for the Caps. Not a bad idea but will it matter?

Yeah. Not optimistic, but you HAVE to let Lack play. And it may as well be in a game that you figure to lose regardless.

Welcome back, Eddie Lack! This game could have disaster written all over it, but maybe the Caps will be over-confident. And maybe I'll win the next lottery.

2-0 It is being challenged but It doesn't matter. This has disaster tattooed on it's forehead.

Yep. Lack GOAT! <Heh>:frown2: Oh well it's the Caps.
4-0 caps.

Last edited:
2-0 It is being challenged but It doesn't matter. This has disaster tattooed on it's forehead.

Yep. Lack GOAT! <Heh>:frown2: Oh well it's the Caps.
4-0 caps.

Can you buy out Eddie Lack? This guy might rank as one of the worst goalies to ever strap on the pads for the Canes.

Fortunately, I quit watching after the first 2 goals. Lack was horrible then, but I didn't follow the rest of the game, except to see we got smoked in the last part of the 3rd period. We're definitely not ready for Prime Time. Hello, Mr. Francis?

Road game against the top team in the league... this one was called before it even began. If they can beat Dallas on Saturday, this road trip will turn into good old fashioned Meat Loaf dispute, cuz two out of three ain't bad...

Back