• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Trade Deadline Thread

brassbonanza

Canes Moderator
Would you trade Faulk, a pick and a prospect for Landeskog? Are Bean and Hanifin "untouchable"?
Duchene, being a natural center is the more glaring need, but because he is a center, i think the Avs will want a kings ransom for him. Landeskog is the intriguing piece though, as he and Skinner have history with both having played for Kitchener.
Several rumours have us potentially in the mix for these guys, but will it actually happen?

Re: Is it Too Early For a Trade deadline Thread?

Why is it that we would have to trade a draft pick and prospect along with Faulk to get Landeskog or Duchene? We probably could have had Taylor Hall straight up for Justin Faulk in the offseason. But now we have to sweeten pot with prospects and picks along with Justin Faulk to shake loose less productive forwards?

Justin Faulk is an all star 24 year old Dman who last I checked was tied for 3rd in the NHL in goals scored by a Dman (despite missing 7 games) after finishing 8th in the NHL last year (he missed 18 games last season). He's also a right handed shot, which is NHL gold. I'm ok with trading Justin Faulk even though that would rip a gaping hole on our blueline at RD. We don't have anyone on the right side with any offensive skill who isn't a disaster in his own end (ok, I know that is debatable with Faulk, but he's not Ryan Murphy out there).

Forget Justin Faulk and "other stuff" for Landeskog.... just Justin Faulk should be enough to make that deal. If Colorado wants picks and prospects then that is a separate deal that doesn't include Justin Faulk. We are going to see just how interested Sakic is to blow the Avs up.

I will also add that Tyson Barrie is a right handed shot, so I suspect Sakic wouldn't have Faulk as a priority unless he could dump Barrie on someone else (not us please, not now, not ever!)

Yeah I agree. If Faulk is to be traded for any of Duchene or Landeskog it's not the Canes that would have to ad anything. Joe Sakic is from what I have read reaching for the moon if he were to trade his players, so I think I would just stay as far away as possible.

Best guess ... Carolina moves one or two veterans for picks and/or prospects and that's all. I doubt we get another fire sale and I doubt we get much of a high profile return for anything we ante up. I also seriously doubt we make basic structural move like trading away Faulk or Skinner unless somebody else is in a position to sharply over-pay.

It's never too early for a trade deadline thread...at least not for Canes fans. :laughing

The Avalanche's "player/prospect/pick" price came from Montreal and others talking about the steep price that Sakic was seeking for his two stars. However, each deal is unique, so not sure it is quite as formulaic as that.

This rumored trade with Avalanche could also easily be an off-season trade instead of a trade deadline trade. Neither GM may be in a hurry to pull this off by the trade deadline. Only playoff team GM's are in a hurry. And, as a general rule, he who is time-constrained loses.

Francis has to be seriously looking at both players, either or both of which would help the cause here. Would rather pay for this off the left-shot side of our defense, where we have more talent than we can possibly ice. But if it is Faulk that makes the deal...well, then I'm okay with that, too.

Another intriguing piece who may be available is Ryan Spooner, a natural center forced to the wing by the Bs by virtue of their depth at the pivot. It will be interesting to see what Boston does, with the coaching change and what their performance will be like after the bye.

Last edited:
You can never be too deep at center.

If Karmanos is still the owner, RF will be in the same situation moving forward-- low budget, prospects and picks.

It's still unclear how the expansion draft will impact the league and will that impact the trade deadline.

Only 2 weeks left until the trade deadline. Expect the rumors to really start heating up and for us to be rumored to unload anyone and everyone in a significant overpay for Avs players.

I'm definitely of the opinion that unless we win 6 of 7 here before the trade deadline, Ronnie will not be doing anything more than potentially trading guys like Ryan Murphy, Ron Hainsey, Jay McClement and Viktor Stalberg in minor deals that at best will yield us draft picks or 20 something fringe NHL players. Hainsey, if there is enough teams in on him, could potentially net at best a 2nd round pick. Ryan Murphy would be a swap for another guy of similar age who just isn't working out somewhere else. McClement and Stalberg at best are 3rd - 6 round picks (possibly conditional picks). Even if we come off this break on fire, it still doesn't make a lot of sense to try to make a trade for a playoff run...this team still has too many holes.

I just don't see Ronnie making a major trade here at the deadline. It would make no sense to do so, we don't NEED to make a major trade for this season. WE are pretty much already out of the playoffs. A big shakeup trade is better left for the offseason.

I suspect that Sakic and Francis have a pretty good idea what a trade between their two orgs might look like. We may even have the best offer on the table right now for Avalanche needs.

However, neither of these GM's have a NEED to pull this trade off by the deadline. And since it is a hockey trade for core elements for both teams, with both orgs realistically out of the playoffs this season, there's no compelling need to disrupt the locker room chemistry with a major mid-season move.

But GM's that are thinking about making a trade deadline add of either of the Avalanche's stars might kick over the barrel and up the ante. After all, they DO need to make a trade by the deadline. And he who is time-constrained loses. Just hard to imagine any such team meeting Sakic's "so you're desperate, eh?" asking price.

So, if Francis pulls trigger on a blockbuster trade before the deadline, reason might well be he had to outbid one of those playoff-bound GM's. And his other competition will be those looking to make an off-season move, assuming the Avalanche don't make a deadline deal.

I'm of the opinion a "barring higher offers" deal is framed out at this point. Whether Francis would be willing to add to that, if necessary, might be the question.

I do believe the two GM's have a working deal in mind. Sakic's just in "this or better" mode, with the "better" still having a chance to be us.

The Canes would be foolish to trade any of our Right D with the exception of Murphy. Faulk, Pecse and McKeown should be our right side D for a long time. Then on the left you have Slavin, Hanifin and Fleury/Bean. I get that we have depth on D, but you have to keep the best 7 or 8 to ice a competitive team. Who else besides these guys would other teams want?

Another intriguing piece who may be available is Ryan Spooner, a natural center forced to the wing by the Bs by virtue of their depth at the pivot. It will be interesting to see what Boston does, with the coaching change and what their performance will be like after the bye.

Totally agree BB that Spooner is more the type of player that Francis may have to target right now due to the finances of ownership at the moment. Spooner fits the profile of a young guy with tons of upside that may just need a change of scenery, he is a natural center that might click with a guy like Skinner.

The reported asking price for players like Duchene and Landeskog make no sense for the Canes...no way no how would you even consider Faulk, a first and a prospect for either of those two guys. I would offer up a player like Slavin, a first and maybe a mid-range young guy like PDG or McGinn...but no way to trading Hanafin or Faulk, a first rounder and any of the likes of Gauthier, Roy or Kukkonen...that's way too rich for Duchene or Landeskog in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Timely article from LeBrun

http://www.tsn.ca/hurricanes-depth-on-defence-drawing-interest-1.673683

That also has a video from TSN radio where Bob McKenzie is talking about the Canes D depth that you can actually view.

Bobby Mac is right on the money yet again. He totally nailed it on Hanafin's struggles this year, stuck in the third pairing with crappy D partners will certainly explain his season to date. No two teams have a better surplus of young D than Anaheim and the Canes...dealing from a position of strength is never a bad thing when you are shopping for what you need.

Anyone know where you can find stats for individual players breaking out home versus away games? Specifically, Faulk's +/- home versus road games. I was at dinner the other night and was told that Faulk's +/- away, when he's match up against opponents' top lines is a -25. When he's at home, where Peters can better protect him on matchups, his +/- improves, but not that great.

Anyone know where you can find stats for individual players breaking out home versus away games? Specifically, Faulk's +/- home versus road games. I was at dinner the other night and was told that Faulk's +/- away, when he's match up against opponents' top lines is a -25. When he's at home, where Peters can better protect him on matchups, his +/- improves, but not that great.

Yep, you can do this on NHL.com

* Go to statistics->Players

* Change the Season to Season selection to Game By Game

* Check the Sum Results over Time Frame box

* Change the start date to the beginning of the season (Oct 13th for the Canes)

* Change the Team to Canes

* Change the location selections so just Away is checked

* Click the Go button

Whoever told you about the Faulk's numbers is 100% correct. He is -24 in 26 away games (worst +/- in the NHL for away games). Now before we take that number and run Justin Faulk out of town, here is some context and the rest of the bottom of that away game +/- list:

Riley Sheahan C 26 Games -14

Nazem Kadri C 28 Games -14

Aaron Ekblad D 30 Games -14

Shayne Gostisbehere D 26 Games -14

TJ Brodie D -29 Games -14

Ivan Provorov D 29 Games -14

Gabriel Landeskog LW 24 Games -14

Alec Martinez D 30 Games -15

Morgan Rielly D 25 Games -17

Henrik Sedin C 30 Games -17

Tyler Seguin C 29 Games -19

Claude Giroux C 28 Games -19

Ron Hainsey D 29 Games -19

Jakub Voracek RW 28 Games -22

Lots of players there I suspect most of us would love to have on the Canes roster.

Ugh ... after the two "performances" coming off of the break, I think the message is clear. Sell and stockpile ... again.

I think Faulk could net a true #1 center from the right team. There's still lots of value there, but he's not much use to this team right now.

I think Faulk could net a true #1 center from the right team. There's still lots of value there, but he's not much use to this team right now.
No, he really isn't. He's holding down the fort as the only competent offensive dman on a really bad offensive team, but I do think he could take off and fly if he was on a decent team. I feel bad for the guy. The organization is really letting him down and burning his prime years

Back