• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Trade Deadline Thread

The AHL clear day nonsense was eliminated with the last CBA:

http://www.si.com/nhl/home-ice/2013...ahl-roster-hurdle-from-nhl-trade-deadline-day

Playoff rosters for the AHL are set at the end of the AHL regular season, there is nothing today that requires any team to wait until a certain time to recall a player.

That said, I'm calling "time!" on Ronnie in terms of making any trades involving any players currently in Tampa as it kind of too late to rush an AHL player there. That assumes that the Canes are not flying AHL players there stealthily already just in case Ronnie pulls the trigger on moving McClement or to spring the news of recalls after the trade deadline is over. Otherwise, to the Canes players in Tampa tonight faced with possibly only playing 10 forwards (or less) and 7 Dmen (or less), my thanks for the heart that you showed last night playing 2 men down and my apologies for this franchise possibly putting you through that again tonight.

Last edited:
Just saw some speculation on another fan board that call-ups may have to be as late as after 3 pm today in order to satisfy the AHL rule that today's AHL club's rosters determine who is eligible for playoff rosters.

You may know more about this angle where the clock plays a role, not just the calendar.

Could be paper transactions both ways to satisfy that rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avs send Jarome Iginla to the Kings for a conditional 2018 4th rounder. Avs retain 50% of his salary.

ETA: The conditions are based Kings playoff progress and/or Iginla re-signing with them. If neither condition is met, the pick disappears.

Last edited:
Guess Ronnie won't bother with a 'there was no good deal to be made today' presser with the team and coach out of town (even though our couple of beat writers are in town since none of them travel with the team?)

Ahh...ty, I didn't see that. Doesn't look like we do anything today, Ronnie will remind everyone we did make 2 trades, will say that nothing made sense as far as the remaining UFAs we have (and we couldn't afford to move them anyway because we can't even ice a full compliment of forwards even with them on the roster). Someone will ask the bland 'what will we do with all of these picks and Ronnie will state that we have lots of options and he will consider lots of thing when deciding how to proceed.

Not sure if this media session warrants streaming, as has been done before.

No mention of it on the Canes website. Might just be availability to the press with maybe someone releasing video afterward.

I'm not really following what you all think RF should be doing...

When he compiles third rounders for our middling UFAs, we say he did good in comparison to other deals around the league, but say we really don't need more third rounders etc.

When he doesn't move our middling UFAs, we're upset that he didn't make more deals for those 3rd rounders.

When he doesn't sign more expensive players, or trade our assets for players who would put him over what we all think is the budget, we say he's taking a very slow approach and say he needs to do something more substantial.

I think we're all pretty much in agreement that PK is not going to loosen the purse strings, and the only way we get a bigger budget is for PK to sell the team, or some other infusion of cash.

If that's the case, I'm not sure what else RF can do besides what he's done. He made a mistake on the goalies, but Cam was reasonably good, and that was the big issue we took. Lack as backup might have been an OK plan if he didn't get hurt, which left us overusing Cam until he broke. So Goalie is on RF. If you were the GM, with the budget limitations, what would you have done differently?

Trade - Faulk - sure there were offers, but do any of them make us better? We don't need prospects for our only vet D who is also young enough to play a role down the road for us.

Trade - Skinner - again, probably could have got something for him, but again he's a player that fills a role on this team we're going to need.

Trade - Staal - with his contract, what offers did we get. Anything returning us similar talent without us eating salary for years? Another player who's on ice contribution is valuable and who fills a role that needs to be filled - only trouble with him is he's overpaid for that role, but I imagine it's hard to fix that through a trade.

I'm as frustrated as anyone by this team, but I honestly can't look at this and come up with very many moves RF has made that have been mistakes. There've been a number of take a shot deals that didn't hit, but outside of the G situation, I'm not sure he's taken a wrong step.

The financial situation needs to get sorted out fast. I think if it does, the collection of picks and prospects that we are amassing can be parleyed into a contender. If it doesn't all RF can do is continue to draft and wait for players to develop - which will eventually break the budget when they need bigger contracts.

My judgement is withheld until this offseason.

If he takes all those picks instead of bundling a few and moving up in the draft and/or securing known talent...well.

Yes, collecting seconds and thirds for UFA's is the thing to do at the trade deadline. And although not Ron's fault because it's a budget thing, IF those UFA's were actually valuable pieces (like were needed to fill out the ragged holes we have everywhere but used AHL'ers and waiver-wire pickups to patch them instead) then those trade deadline UFA's would be worth far more than mere third-round picks.

It's more than time for a significant and big move. Trade deadline is a chance for such moves. But no excuse for coming out of the off-season without having done something about our glaring top-6 needs and the goalie situation.

Muddling along is getting old.

I don't think any disagrees that Ronnie's hand are tied by ownership and the budget they are giving him. And I don't think anyone really thinks there are big trades to be made on deadline day that wouldn't involve the Canes getting fleeced. Maybe the solutions to all of our problems are coming with Nicolas Roy, Julien Gauthier and Callum Booth, who knows. I'm not saying Ronnie isn't making the right moves considering the situation we are in, but I would be pretty disappointed if all we do this offseason is trade one of our 2nd round picks for another 2nd or 3rd pair center/winger and otherwise make all of those draft picks knowing that all of those players are years away from being in any position to be worth anything to us. Can we really afford go to the 9th or 10th year without making the playoffs?

Ownership needs to be fixed or Karmanos needs to find more cash to spend because what we are doing now is making Ronnie's job almost impossible.

Ron's press conference is being streamed by Canevision from the Canes website (see Video tab, it's not on the front page)...but with such poor quality as to be unwatchable or even unlistenable.

Moving on and waiting for a cleaned-up video of it.

From what I can see on Twitter (stream still unwatchable), Francis announced that Brown and Nestrasil would be recalled.

Also per Francis, Skinner had a stiff neck in Florida, so was run through the concussion protocol as precaution.

However, no concussion and he will be available for the roster on Friday.

I don't think any disagrees that Ronnie's hand are tied by ownership and the budget they are giving him. And I don't think anyone really thinks there are big trades to be made on deadline day that wouldn't involve the Canes getting fleeced. Maybe the solutions to all of our problems are coming with Nicolas Roy, Julien Gauthier and Callum Booth, who knows. I'm not saying Ronnie isn't making the right moves considering the situation we are in, but I would be pretty disappointed if all we do this offseason is trade one of our 2nd round picks for another 2nd or 3rd pair center/winger and otherwise make all of those draft picks knowing that all of those players are years away from being in any position to be worth anything to us. Can we really afford go to the 9th or 10th year without making the playoffs?

Ownership needs to be fixed or Karmanos needs to find more cash to spend because what we are doing now is making Ronnie's job almost impossible.

Absolutely. Any criticism of Francis needs to be inclusive of his broke ass owner and useless President. If I have been slack about doing that in the past, I'll be more clear in the future and just call the lot of them "management."

Mark Streit was traded twice today, first from the Flyers to the Lightning as part of a deal for Valtteri Filppula, then on to the Pens for a 2018 4th rounder.

Each year the circus that is the trade deadline seems to get less and less crazy. Cap?

Or the fact for the majority of the teams it just doesn't work out. You end up throwing away some good picks and prospects and at end of year are usually left with disappointment and a weaker future.

Canes have been involved with two of those trades-- where a player was traded twice in a day--

Patrick O'Sullivan was traded to Carolina by LAK and he was then flipped to EDM for Erik Cole.

The other Eric Belanger who went to NAS who then flipped him to ATL, much to the chagrin of JR.

Last edited:
Back