• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Game 60 | Canadiens vs. Rangers | Feb 21, 2017

Re: GDT: Game 60 | Canadiens vs. Rangers| Feb 21, 2017

Anyone else hoping we lose until Bergevin is fired?

I am not wishing anyone gets fired, but I think the team is too talent poor. The draft is always the best option to address this.

I am not wishing anyone gets fired, but I think the team is too talent poor. The draft is always the best option to address this.

I'm hoping Bergevin gets fired, I'm hoping Timmins gets fired and I hope they fire Desharnais out of a cannon.

The draft is the best way to address this. I for one am looking forward to the day they blow this all up. It's not that far away and I doubt this team makes it anywhere close to the final before the curtain closes on this group of players/management staff.

I hope they realize when they are done instead of holding onto assets a la Markov, keeping them until they are ancient and without any value, because that will hasten the rebuild. If they hold onto assets until they are worthless or worst still, throw away assets like prospects and draft picks, I can see this team going the same route as the leafs did, a near decade of complete crap.

2017 is considered one of the worst draft cuvée's in recent history add to it the lottery system and tanking is no guarantee of success- without as usual...luck

The rebuild (or salary dumps) that resulted in the trades of Damphousse and Recchi comes to mind when I think of what Bergevin is likely to rebuild. The acquisition of Daynus Zubrus and the drafting of guys like Ron Hainsey and Marcel Hossa were part of that rebuild.....Bergevin wasn't around but similar management team.

I'm hoping Bergevin gets fired, I'm hoping Timmins gets fired and I hope they fire Desharnais out of a cannon.

The draft is the best way to address this. I for one am looking forward to the day they blow this all up. It's not that far away and I doubt this team makes it anywhere close to the final before the curtain closes on this group of players/management staff.

I hope they realize when they are done instead of holding onto assets a la Markov, keeping them until they are ancient and without any value, because that will hasten the rebuild. If they hold onto assets until they are worthless or worst still, throw away assets like prospects and draft picks, I can see this team going the same route as the leafs did, a near decade of complete crap.

The draft, unless you're drafting top 3 for three or four years in a row, assures you of nothing. For all his faults, when MB says the goal is to make the playoffs and the get hot, he's 100% correct.

Last edited:

The draft assures you of nothing. For all his faults, when MB says the goal is to make the playoffs and the get hot, he's 100% correct.

Yes, I've seen the Canes, the Leafs and the Oilers fall into the trap of thinking the draft is a guaranteed fix. It's not.

That said, eventually you stumble or bumble your way into elite talent. Galchenyuk, for all his faults, was only acquired because we sucked ass in 2011. Imagine where this team would be if that year we got the 8th seed and got knocked out in the first round. That's what, pick 16? 15?

So swap Galchenyuk with Tom Wilson or Codi Ceci and imagine where this team is today. It sucks, but tanking works. At this point, with this collection of players, I'm more in favor of starting from scratch. Tank for a few years. Stockpile picks. hopefully with some luck and solid drafting by someone not named timmins this team comes out of the other side with a collection of good young players on RFA or ELC contracts, cap space, and a elite talent or two.

I am tired of watching this same group of players finding new ways to fail time and time again.

I think the team has talent but not too much in the goal scoring Dept. We did well in the 1st half because Byron, Danault, Petry, etc, were potting goals but with Chucky struggling and Plekanec AWOL it is not easy for this team to put it in the other team's net. Good luck fixing that unless we want the likes of Vanek back again.

Yes, I've seen the Canes, the Leafs and the Oilers fall into the trap of thinking the draft is a guaranteed fix. It's not.

That said, eventually you stumble or bumble your way into elite talent. Galchenyuk, for all his faults, was only acquired because we sucked ass in 2011. Imagine where this team would be if that year we got the 8th seed and got knocked out in the first round. That's what, pick 16? 15?

So swap Galchenyuk with Tom Wilson or Codi Ceci and imagine where this team is today. It sucks, but tanking works. At this point, with this collection of players, I'm more in favor of starting from scratch. Tank for a few years. Stockpile picks. hopefully with some luck and solid drafting by someone not named timmins this team comes out of the other side with a collection of good young players on RFA or ELC contracts, cap space, and a elite talent or two.

I am tired of watching this same group of players finding new ways to fail time and time again.
The Habs are in a market that won't allow years of tanking to take place without empty seats forming at the Bell Centre. You might be okay with that but ownership isn't too crazy about it.

What fears me is what lies ahead with contracts upcoming to Radulov, Max and Carey to begin with. Right now we aren't really a contender and yet all of those guys are due big increases on top of Weber's big contract. Is this the way to go or does MB have to change it up?

Go watch the Preds then... and feel free to post on their message board instead of here.

Anyone else hoping we lose until Bergevin is fired?

I'm definitely not rooting for that but if it happens, so be it. I'm ready for anything.

The draft, unless you're drafting top 3 for three or four years in a row, assures you of nothing. For all his faults, when MB says the goal is to make the playoffs and the get hot, he's 100% correct.

Booins did ok with building a cup team with only Seguin being a top pick and was basically a rookie in the playoffs .

Anaheim did pretty good with Getz, Perry , Rakell , Hampus , etc ..... none were top 5.

The Habs are in a market that won't allow years of tanking to take place without empty seats forming at the Bell Centre. You might be okay with that but ownership isn't too crazy about it.

What fears me is what lies ahead with contracts upcoming to Radulov, Max and Carey to begin with. Right now we aren't really a contender and yet all of those guys are due big increases on top of Weber's big contract. Is this the way to go or does MB have to change it up?

The kick in the nuts is if Radu leaves before we have to hand out the big bucks , where the Fk would we be this year without him .

Anaheim did pretty good with Getz, Perry , Rakell , Hampus , etc ..... none were top 5.
Gets & Perry were cornerstone pieces from a generational draft....basically u need to get lucky the year u tank has generational players or very high end players and very deep if u don't. Galchenyuk was never a generational player and his 2012 draft cuvée was mediocre in terms of depth.

Back