• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

DEADLINE 2017

This Habs team doesn't need Gretzky or Lemieux (would be great) a tweak like Hanzal and Kulikov will do just fine, anything more is gravy.

yes the 1 goal Kulikov that cant play on Buffalo`s putrid back end is the answer to our woes ... alrighty then

yes the 1 goal Kulikov that cant play on Buffalo`s putrid back end is the answer to our woes ... alrighty then

Can't play? He averages 22 minutes a night.

He missed a few games injured, but has never been a healthy scratch.

Need I remind u, MB acquired the best available asset at both the 2014 & 2015 deadlines while surrendering next to nothing, just sayin...

Well let's be honest, I think several teams weren't interested in those players.

They both went for well below what people expected.

I think Edm thought for sure they can at least yield a first rounder for Petry.

And as the season went on and the playoffs we quickly realized why there were few teams that wanted vanek as a rental.

Only 2 points this season? Hardly the guy you want to pair with Weber.

Ideally you want more of an offensive guy, yes.

But Kulikov is a good skater, and gets the puck out of his own end quickly. So he's 2/3 attributes you want. He just doesn't drive offense.

A better fit than Emelin, but still not ideal.

Isn't much at LHD who are rentals though... its like him and Hainsey, and Brendan Smith.

I'd rank it Hainsey, Kulikov, Smith.

This Habs team doesn't need Gretzky or Lemieux (would be great) a tweak like Hanzal and Kulikov will do just fine, anything more is gravy.

You're starting to lose your mind bro. A player like Hanzel won't reverse 40 games of crap. They need a game changer without sacrificing ANY current offence.

It's best to stand pat (or unload some aging vets) and take another stab at something in the offseason.

90% of MB's moves are tweaks....other than Radulov has he gotten us legit top six talent in his tenure?

And don't say Vanek because I wouldn't want that garbage in my top six

You're starting to lose your mind bro. A player like Hanzel won't reverse 40 games of crap. They need a game changer without sacrificing ANY current offence.

It's best to stand pat (or unload some aging vets) and take another stab at something in the offseason.

:iagree:

90% of MB's moves are tweaks....other than Radulov has he gotten us legit top six talent in his tenure?

And don't say Vanek because I wouldn't want that garbage in my top six

90% of any GM's moves are tweaks.

In terms of top six talent.

Michael Ryder was a top 6 acquired in 2013.
Vanek
Radulov
Danault and Shaw (either could be the 6th best guy in a top 6, or a good 3rd liner).

Well let's be honest, I think several teams weren't interested in those players.

They both went for well below what people expected.

I think Edm thought for sure they can at least yield a first rounder for Petry.

And as the season went on and the playoffs we quickly realized why there were few teams that wanted vanek as a rental.

Friedman reported 10-teams were bidding for Vanek, MB had submitted his final offer at the opening bell that morning, the reason deal went down at 3:59 was because Snow & the opposing GMs couldn't find a way to make deals happen without Isles taking back salary...may not like MB but his strategy of using cap space to his advantages without taking back salary worked, recall back in 2014 Vanek was the most coveted deadline acquisition.

Vanek got a big contract even after he tanked the 2014 playoffs, so teams were interested in him even then.

Heck he probably moves at this deadline too.

Logically analyzing, Plekanec yields negative output for this team, doesn't score, avg face off capability at best & his PK performance is horrendous thus negative goals per game performance. Hanzal for Plekanec swap in the lineup is takes that negative performance to even or positive - a 1-2 goal positive performance per game changes the entire outcome of the last 40-games.
When push comes to shove on March 1st, Hanzal won't cost more that a 1st rounder (in terrible draft cuvée) and perhaps a Collberg type prospect should there be a bidding war.

As I said a month ago, I expect the Habs lead in division will close and perhaps even have someone surpass them in the standings, but post deadline I expect the Habs to run away with the division - as they did post Vanek deal in 2014.

Except for a few teams, the margin between contenders is razor thin. Postively tweaking the top 6 should be welcome.

Friedman reported 10-teams were bidding for Vanek, MB had submitted his final offer at the opening bell that morning, the reason deal went down at 3:59 was because Snow & the opposing GMs couldn't find a way to make deals happen without Isles taking back salary...may not like MB but his strategy of using cap space to his advantages without taking back salary worked, recall back in 2014 Vanek was the most coveted deadline acquisition.

Ten teams were bidding and all Snow mustered up was a C level prospect who at the time was a C level prospect and a conditional 2nd rounder?

What were the other nine teams offering?? If that was the best offer Snow got I doubt interest for vanek was that high.

If a team really wanted him all they had to do was offer up a 1st and a mid level prospect.

Ten teams were bidding and all Snow mustered up was a C level prospect who at the time was a C level prospect and a conditional 2nd rounder?

What were the other nine teams offering?? If that was the best offer Snow got I doubt interest for vanek was that high.

If a team really wanted him all they had to do was offer up a 1st and a mid level prospect.
Donnie - ur missing the entire strategy. Snow had orders from ownership he couldn't take salary back. No team wanting Vanek had cap space to take on Vaneks cap hit without sending $ back, MB had maneuvered to make sure he had the advantage of cap space at deadline.

90% of any GM's moves are tweaks.

In terms of top six talent.

Michael Ryder was a top 6 acquired in 2013.
Vanek
Radulov
Danault and Shaw (either could be the 6th best guy in a top 6, or a good 3rd liner).

Thank you for proving my point because the only legit top six talent there is Radulov and Vanek who eventually finished the playoffs on a 3rd/4rth line.

MB has few results when it comes to bringing in legit top six talent.

Back