• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

DEADLINE 2017

Subban was getting that money, I think. Shaw, yeah. Ick.

If the Habs get knocked out in the first round, where do we think Price's head is? One year left. The Habs need to nail this, either a good long-term deal or look to maximize assets before he walks.

That is part of the reason why I wanted Price traded last summer.

He's a player with term left on his contract, in his prime, who has unfortunately been unable to finish more seasons than not. He's going to be the highest paid goalie in the league once his contract's up and I'd be scared shitless to commit longterm. You're not going to get value trading him this summer, he'll be seen like a rental almost.

Re: Shaw, same problem as Eller. The second you give real money to depth players, you're looking to find a way to trade them so you can pay your real stars. And we gave up two good draft picks for him. What a cluster****.

The closest equivalent has been the Quenneville/Bowman duo in Chicago.

Just look at the bulk of their roster. Yeah, the Toews & Seabrooks deals aren't great, but every team without exception has shitty contracts. Notice how the core of their team is paid real $ while all the supporting players are paid peanuts. And the second those supporting players are getting close to signing new deals, they trade them for good-to-great value. Meanwhile, Chicago doesn't miss Andrew Shaw for a ****ing second. They have an upgrade on him in Hartman.

Just look at the bulk of their roster. Yeah, the Toews & Seabrooks deals aren't great, but every team without exception has shitty contracts. Notice how the core of their team is paid real $ while all the supporting players are paid peanuts. And the second those supporting players are getting close to signing new deals, they trade them for good-to-great value. Meanwhile, Chicago doesn't miss Andrew Shaw for a ****ing second. They have an upgrade on him in Hartman.

You're right. I thought the Hawks would fall back this year, but no.....in the days of a salary cap, they have a good thing going there to stay above the madding crowd. They had a right core, and right people in place to make decisions I guess. They are a salary cap brand of a dynasty and are to be admired.

False equivalency- US markets are geographic destinations of choice for high end UFA talent, especially larger markets. Hossa wanted nothing to do with Cdn markets, his sweetheart deal with Hawks helped pave the way to their championships.
Same with Panarin - whose 2-year sweetheart deal has done wonders. The Hawks drafting & player development has actually been quite putrid since their creator Dale Tallon left.

It's been nearly 24-years since the Cup was won by a Cdn team - yes apathy & incompetence has been an issue, but not the entire root cause. Until high end talent can be lured to Cdn destinations (via UFA or trade) at or below market price nothing will change...

Last edited:
The best Bergevin will be able to do is a couple of medium-sized moves to try to save his neck.

Maybe another Daneault-type centre, elites are unavailable. Maybe a hard ass winger to teach the youngins how to play with balls. Get rid of 14, if possible.

That's it.

You need to show Michael Douglas with Bergevin's face (or Therrien) salivating over Sharron Stone (Pleks)

hanzal.jpg

Thank the lord we didn't get Eaves. Wanted nothing to do with that

Bergevin will make a significant trade in order to try and save his job - I believe that the team has to win at least one round in the playoffs for him to back next season as the GM.

Back