• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Stretch Run

These next five games are so critical.

Because given the opponents and the lack of rest in the final games, we could potentially lose the last four.

7bc7fd86f9197765f1467242d19ab9cd_-we-got-this-image-tagged-meme-we-got-this_490-326.jpeg

I do understand being somewhat concerned, even at this late stage. It's a manifestation of the Leaf-fan version of PTSD.

But yeah, we got this. This Leaf team is not the Leaf teams of yesteryear. With the stud kids, dialed-in veterans, a good goaltender and Cock Magic behind the bench, anytime things have started to look like they're going off the rails this season, they've promptly got back on track with a vengence. And at this point, it'd take a swan-dive the likes of which we haven't seen all year, in addition to an incredible, almost flawless run from at least two of Boston, the Islanders, Tampa & Carolina for us to get knocked out of the dance.

And I just don't see that happening. Not with everything we've seen from the Leafs this year. Not with Tampa Bay's depleted roster. Not with Boston, and their own history of flaming out of the playoff race in pretty spectacular fashion in each of the past two years. Not with the Islanders, an unimpressive team that had a nice bounce under a new coach. And not with Carolina, who have pretty godawful goaltending, and aren't quite ready to take the next step in their rebuild yet.

no ... was responding to leafoffaith ... should have quoted :)

I don't think so. We played tough teams, and we played them tough. I was at the LA game. I don't recall saying anything other than it sucked to not get to see some goals from the kids.

I do understand being somewhat concerned, even at this late stage. It's a manifestation of the Leaf-fan version of PTSD.

But yeah, we got this. This Leaf team is not the Leaf teams of yesteryear. With the stud kids, dialed-in veterans, a good goaltender and Cock Magic behind the bench, anytime things have started to look like they're going off the rails this season, they've promptly got back on track with a vengence. And at this point, it'd take a swan-dive the likes of which we haven't seen all year, in addition to an incredible, almost flawless run from at least two of Boston, the Islanders, Tampa & Carolina for us to get knocked out of the dance.

And I just don't see that happening. Not with everything we've seen from the Leafs this year. Not with Tampa Bay's depleted roster. Not with Boston, and their own history of flaming out of the playoff race in pretty spectacular fashion in each of the past two years. Not with the Islanders, an unimpressive team that had a nice bounce under a new coach. And not with Carolina, who have pretty godawful goaltending, and aren't quite ready to take the next step in their rebuild yet.

I'm not expecting the kids to blow it.

I want them to have the room to lose at the end of the schedule against some of the best teams in the league.

That's why these next five games are important. We should wipe the floor with them, but if we did, that would mean an insane overall win streak. If we can take three of them at least, then I'm not too concerned about what happens the rest of the way.

Brutal luck for Leivo. A lineup spot finally opens for him again through two injuries, he comes back in and scores a goal, and then is promptly out again. And according to twitter, we are indeed being treated to a return of Ben Smith to the lineup.

Honestly, I'm not sure why we're even bothering with this guy anymore. Why not call up Kapanen, Rychel or Leipsic?

Man that sucks.

But it does get Smith another game for expansion draft purposes. How many more is needed after this?

Man that sucks.

But it does get Smith another game for expansion draft purposes. How many more is needed after this?
Only one more is needed, so he'll be there after playing tonight. But we'd also need to re-sign him.

And we do already have Fehr & Martin to satisfy the forward requirements for the expansion draft.

Only one more is needed, so he'll be there after playing tonight. But we'd also need to re-sign him.

And we do already have Fehr & Martin to satisfy the forward requirements for the expansion draft.
Thanks.

I think Martin has played a role with these kids. I'd rather hang on to him. Even if the chances of him getting picked up are really low, the optics may not be good.

Thanks.

I think Martin has played a role with these kids. I'd rather hang on to him. Even if the chances of him getting picked up are really low, the optics may not be good.
That sentiment is nice and all, but the way things break down now, we have spots to protect two of Martin, Leivo, Rychel & Leipsic. So, you'd be protecting a pretty replaceable 4th line leaderbean that's unlikely to get picked up because of his contract anyway at the expense of exposing an additional good young forward prospect.

And why? Because you're afraid of hurting Martin's feelings?

Back