• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

[Injury News] Frederik Andersen possible concussion?

BG

Nothing but rampant speculation all weekend from what I've read.

Babcock shared that it was the doctors in Buffalo that pulled Andersen for presumably concussion protocol.

What's odd is that they haven't updated the public in any way if he was deemed to be fine after the game.

So while we are waiting to find out how long he will be out, and speculating on how McElhenny will fare to close out the season - it is still possible that Andersen is in net on Tuesday.

Please be kind to us, hockey Gods.

I don't think it's too odd that the Leafs haven't provided any further update. Lamoriello's teams treat injury information like the nuclear codes.

No matter what, we'll find out something today by around 11 o'clock.

If Andersen shows up to practice, then there's no concussion, and it's something relatively minor. And if Andersen doesn't show up to practice and/or they recall Garret Sparks (I presume he'd be the choice, since Bibeau's been a tire-fire down there since the new year) from the Marlies, they probably still won't tell us anything concrete, but we'll know it's something that will take a little bit longer.

Was out Saturday night, and still hadn't watched any highlights until today - there looked to be some contact in the crease where a Sabre did an elbow drop on Andersen's shoulder/arm. Didn't see any contact to the head.

I guess we'll find out sometime today. If they recall a goalie, then it is bad news for us.

I have reasons to believe it is very minor or nothing:

1. Andersen finished the 1st period, with no sign of any discomfort or struggle

2. The update when 2nd period started was Andersen may get back in the game, but I guess then BUF scored 3 more goals and the game was over, so there's no point in putting Andersen back in

3. It's the BUF doctor who pulled Andersen out because of concussion protocol, as he was apparently hit in the head. The Leafs simply complied with the suggestion

Was out Saturday night, and still hadn't watched any highlights until today - there looked to be some contact in the crease where a Sabre did an elbow drop on Andersen's shoulder/arm. Didn't see any contact to the head.
Yeah, I've yet to see a replay where an obvious injury may have taken place.

Thats usually not a good thing but fingers crossed its nothing.

On the bright side Sparks has been lights out lately..

Thats usually not a good thing but fingers crossed its nothing.

On the bright side Sparks has been lights out lately..
It does mean that, if it's a concussion, he's been symptom-free since Saturday night. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the ice at all.

Its not a great sign that he is skating before the group, but it would be a worse sign if he wasn't skating period.

Eh it's most likely standard protocol still at this point.

I would guess no practice for him today, just a skate, and then monitoring overnight for symptoms.

If he's all clear tommorrow then he's probably cleared to play (though still may not get the start tommorrow).

lots of video of him practicing right now, fyi.

seems to be doing all the regular drills.

Eh it's most likely standard protocol still at this point.

I would guess no practice for him today, just a skate, and then monitoring overnight for symptoms.

If he's all clear tommorrow then he's probably cleared to play (though still may not get the start tommorrow).
Yep. If he's symptom free, they'd start with some off-ice workouts (likely done yesterday), and see how he responds. And if he's still symptom-free, then a light on-ice workout (like what he's doing today) would be next. And if he's still symptom free, then he'd progress to a full practice.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't dress for tomorrow's game against Florida out of precaution.

But hopefully everything keeps progressing well for him, and he's back in the crease by Thursday or Saturday.

Its a jaw injury and he expects to go tomorrow.

giphy.gif

Back