• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Bettman screws the fans for unprincipled reason

What exactly are the owners losing?

This isn't happening beause they aren't gaining anything fine but they aren't losing anything either

The $150M they made in the World Cup...which they own. Olympics don't pay NHL owners $150M, not even the goodwill PR leading to merchandise sales will net that amount - as Waz said if the NHL owners were able to net that amount & go to the Olympics they'd have agreed.

Last edited:
The NHL wants to go to Beijing, don't kid yourself. They want to be in China. Massive market.

The IOC should say, **** you... you don't go to Korea, we don't need you in China either.
I don't believe so, IMO the NHL's entire focus is around turning the World Cup into their Olympics - a venue they own unilaterally & reap all rewards from.

There is a big difference between having a tournament during training camp and having one in the middle of February, especially for the impact of an injury. Most of the serious injuries in February are pretty much season.ending.

Anyway my point is more against the accusations that they're shortsighted and can't see the value in this great opportunity. I think they are fully aware by now of the pros and cons.

Injuries can happen anywhere....

The evil Bettman has already states he wants 2022 Beijing
What no one has mentioned thus far - when the present CBA reached agreement in 2013 the two sides did not reach an agreement on the Olympics, so the players had to have known this was coming. IMO, this is all about bringing the NHLPA to it's knees (and destruction) under the moniker of World Cup being the leverage position...

Having all your star players rip you to the media and pissing off fans doesn't seem like good business for a league.

What no one has mentioned thus far - when the present CBA reached agreement in 2013 the two sides did not reach an agreement on the Olympics, so the players had to have known this was coming. IMO, this is all about bringing the NHLPA to it's knees (and destruction) under the moniker of World Cup being the leverage position...

the owners all whined that they wanted a partnership with the players, they wanted to share revenue, needed a cap blah, then unilaterally decide no Olympics when they know the players want to go, #hypocrites

Seems like all the Russians are going to go anyways, because as previously stated, the NHL cannot suspend them for going, NHL teams can suspend them for going until they return, at which point you have to start paying them whether you play them or not.

So all said, NHL players lose two or three weeks of pay, and come back and either their teams pays them and plays them or pays them to stay home.

I can more than a few players going to the Olympics, especially the Russians.

I don't think that is correct. I think if you abandonned your team for two weeks, they are not required to reinstate you as soon as you come back. They could likely ask the league to suspend without pay for breach of contract.

Whether a team would or would not is another question, but I don't think its as simple as you can take off for two weeks, and as soon as you are back the team has to pay you.

I don't think that is correct. I think if you abandonned your team for two weeks, they are not required to reinstate you as soon as you come back. They could likely ask the league to suspend without pay for breach of contract.

Whether a team would or would not is another question, but I don't think its as simple as you can take off for two weeks, and as soon as you are back the team has to pay you.

you can if you are ovie

Having all your star players rip you to the media and pissing off fans doesn't seem like good business for a league.

I doubt the NHL will lose any fans over it. Are you going to stop following the Leafs because the players are not going to the Olympics?

I do think it is interesting that the players are willing to play for free (or even pay, or loss money) to play in the games.

I doubt the NHL will lose any fans over it. Are you going to stop following the Leafs because the players are not going to the Olympics?

We are not the fans the NHL should worry about.

It has survived a bunch of lockouts. But I know plenty of people that have given up on the NHL post 2004. Would not shock me to see it have some impact in places like Ottawa that struggle to sellout the building.

The evil Bettman has already states he wants 2022 Beijing

Are you so naive to believe that Bettman is behind all this ?

He walks into a meeting with the 31 owners, asks them to vote on Olympics, and majority of owners said NO. He presents them the pros and cons of going to Olympics, and majority of owners said no thanks.

Owners decide things, not Bettman....he's a puppet, that's it....his job is to deflect attention from owners, and judging by your reaction, he is worth every dollar of the 8 mil contract he has.

Are you so naive to believe that Bettman is behind all this ?

He walks into a meeting with the 31 owners, asks them to vote on Olympics, and majority of owners said NO. He presents them the pros and cons of going to Olympics, and majority of owners said no thanks.

Owners decide things, not Bettman....he's a puppet, that's it....his job is to deflect attention from owners, and judging by your reaction, he is worth every dollar of the 8 mil contract he has.

Bettman is the grand puppeteer. His grand vision is teams all over the south and he will do whatever he can to keep them there so he can save face.

commissioners drive the agenda

if he wanted the NHL in South Korea, it would be there, he would convince the owners.

Yeah like worm said, I don't think the fans who read the CBA and have thousands of posts on NHL message boards are the ones they should be worrying about.

Back