Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: The Offseason Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Offseason Thread

On a day too filled with sad news, here's some more...Dave Strader passed away yesterday...

https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/dalla...er/c-291498308

Post Thanks / Like

Malcolm Subban claimed off waivers from Boston by VGN. Vegas has MAF and Pickard in net. Seems like a good grab, but won't Subban have to stay up with the NHL? Doesn't make sense...can he be traded to another team and then sent down, assuming he clears waivers or does BOS get him back??

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlapShots View Post
    Malcolm Subban claimed off waivers from Boston by VGN. Vegas has MAF and Pickard in net. Seems like a good grab, but won't Subban have to stay up with the NHL? Doesn't make sense...can he be traded to another team and then sent down, assuming he clears waivers or does BOS get him back??
    I think he has to stick with the big club once claimed unless the Bruins and Vegas work out a trade. Maybe they carry 3 goalies for a bit or Pickard gets sent down...

Post Thanks / Like

You can't trade a player you claimed off of waivers that same season. You either need to keep him the NHL or re-expose him to waivers. Vegas cannot work out a trade with the Bs now (unless the B's claim him back down the road). If they waive Subban and no one claims him, the Bruins can claim him back and immediately send him to the minors.

If I had to pick between Pickard and Subban as a prospect I would take Subban every time (younger). Vegas must have seen it the same way. They will waive Pickard along with a bunch of Dmen today. They only have 4 hours left to do what they are going to do with their roster.
    Last edited by cmaleski2; 10-03-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CMal for the clarification on trades. Vegas is about to lose some decent Dmen this afternoon...the numbers crunch will finally hit them with that surplus on the backend.

Post Thanks / Like

Edmonton's first round pick Kailer Yamamoto (22 overall in this past draft) will open the season with the Oilers. Chalk up another victory for the 'smallish player....5'8" 155 pounds.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/10/0...ht-roster-spot

Will be interesting to see if he stays up all year.

Post Thanks / Like

So Vegas has their 'opening day' roster officially set here before the 5PM deadline. It has:

13 forwards, 3 of which are on IR, David Clarkson and Mikael Grabovski, both expected never to play again and James Neal who is still recovering from his injury.

11 DMen, 1 of which is on IR Clayton Stoner

3 Goalies

That my friends, is 10 active forwards, 10 active dmen and 3 active goalies. Are they really going to play games with that roster? No, but its 23 players, under the cap, and perfectly legal for roster deadline purposes.

So clearly Vegas has some more to do between now and their first game, which is Friday night.
    Last edited by cmaleski2; 10-03-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Eichel signs an 8-year, $80 million extension with the Slugs...

https://www.nhl.com/news/sabres-eich...on/c-291553136

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the Canes would actually still be one of the teams besides the Sens and BJs still talking to Sakic about acquiring Duchene.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine RF trading away a blue chip prospect for a player he has two years remaining before he becomes a UFA. If the pot was sweetened that might make the deal. With the pending sale and those negotiations, I suspect no real move will be made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmaleski2 View Post
    So Vegas has their 'opening day' roster officially set here before the 5PM deadline. It has:

13 forwards, 3 of which are on IR, David Clarkson and Mikael Grabovski, both expected never to play again and James Neal who is still recovering from his injury.

3 Goalies

That my friends, is 10 active forwards, 10 active dmen and 3 active goalies. Are they really going to play games with that roster? No, but its 23 players, under the cap, and perfectly legal for roster deadline purposes.

So clearly Vegas has some more to do between now and their first game, which is Friday night.
    This puzzles me. There are no stakes for the first season other than looking like you’re trying. They’re making this WAY more complicated than necessary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmaleski2 View Post

3 Goalies

That roster reminds me of that NJD team that was struggling to field a team and stay under the cap and playing musical chairs with their call ups...

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The season started so it's time to unstick this.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839