• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Offseason Thread

The Arizona Coyotes told Shane Doan to take a hike. Sarah McLellan, who covers the Coyotes for the Arizona Republic, tweeted that a source told her that Doan was told on Saturday morning and that the team was "getting rid of everything old".

I'm on the fence about Lack's potential. I think he shows some flashes of being very good, but then is pretty erratic. I'm not convinced it's him vs. the situation he was in, and the fact that our results last season were in a large part due to goalie failure and there's no will to throw Cam under the bus. I think the best move is to keep him, and have him work with the new goalie coach and see what happens through the year. I think he took more than his fair share of the blame last season. We did ride Cam too hard because Lack was hurt and there was some frustration on his recovery/second injury, but once he came back from that he was solid for a pretty good stretch - although there was no pressure.

I think Peters and Lack is done though, but I think he has some potential to become a valuable chip by the trade deadline with the right handling.

Peters won't play Lack again. Lack was Peters' scapegoat last season....while Ward was praised for every beachball that drifted past him. Lack won't play here in a Canes sweater again. I bet he's happy to go.

Peters won't play Lack again. Lack was Peters' scapegoat last season....while Ward was praised for every beachball that drifted past him. Lack won't play here in a Canes sweater again. I bet he's happy to go.

I hear that point of view a lot, but after Peter's blamed Lack for some things that may or may not have been his fault, he turned right around and played the guy anyway ... and for a pretty expended run too. I just think Peters wants SOMEBODY to stop a freaking puck.

Interesting reporting today on the Hossa situation. Seems he is might be having an allergic reaction to his hockey gear and/or uniform. Actually surprised you don't see this more in professional sports with the amount of gear athletes are required to wear, the amount of time spent in that stuff, and the amount of sweat and other nasty stuff hanging out in locker rooms. I hope he is able to get healthy, but if he has to retire due to medical reasons that would really help Chicago out, assuming he gets a medical exception on the Cap issue.

Interesting reporting today on the Hossa situation. Seems he is might be having an allergic reaction to his hockey gear and/or uniform. Actually surprised you don't see this more in professional sports with the amount of gear athletes are required to wear, the amount of time spent in that stuff, and the amount of sweat and other nasty stuff hanging out in locker rooms. I hope he is able to get healthy, but if he has to retire due to medical reasons that would really help Chicago out, assuming he gets a medical exception on the Cap issue.

Convenient timing, that... when his cap hit is still at $5,275,000 but his actual salary drops to $1M. Just sayin...

That trade was 100% to get Tavares to sign an extension as Eberle has had chemistry with him on an International level.

If I'm an Oilers fan, I would have rather had Hamonic or even De Haan as part of any trade for Eberle...they could have used some help on defense in that trade.

If I'm an Oilers fan, I would have rather had Hamonic or even De Haan as part of any trade for Eberle...they could have used some help on defense in that trade.

It is a somewhat risky move for the Oilers. I think they are going to try and win now, which is never a bad move before they start having cap issues in a couple years. The problem is you don't really know what you are getting with Strome and Eberle was a proven goal scorer, although inconsistant. If Stome doesn't grow his offensive game, this ends up being a bad move for Edmonton. It will be an interesting year in Edmonton as they balance trying to take jump up in playoffs for a SCF shot versus balancing the future of the team.

I think the Islanders won this trade, but I don't really understand what they are doing there the past 2 years. Is there an actual strategic plan in NY other than to ensure Tavares gets resigned?

Moving Eberle gives the Oilers an extra $3.5 million in cap space to extend Draisatl.

You're expecting anything that Garth Snow does to make sense?

Wouldn't say fleeced but I see picking up a younger, still developing center Strome as a win over the departing not so young Eberle. Whatever. As has been said, Garth "sNoLogic"

Strome should be a nice fit for the Oil while he develops. He's more of a playmaker type and Eberle, while fairly productive, is streaky and kind of moody as a player. I like Strome's effort level even if he's not that kind of producer just yet. Eberle is the kind of guy who helps you win a couple of games. Strome, if he keeps growing as a player, is the kind of guy who helps his line play better EVERY game.

Arizona looks like an organization being run by clowns. Not only did the botch the decision not to renew Shane Doan's contract and put him on the exposed list, but Dave Tippett is now out as head coach is out-- announced one day before the entry level draft:

Arizona Coyotes Owner, Chairman and Governor Andrew Barroway announced today that the Coyotes and Head Coach Dave Tippett have mutually agreed to part ways. A search for a new head coach will begin immediately.

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coyotes-and-tippett-part-ways/c-290078552?tid=277567764

Arizona looks like an organization being run by clowns. Not only did the botch the decision not to renew Shane Doan's contract and put him on the exposed list, but Dave Tippett is now out as head coach is out-- announced one day before the entry level draft:

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coyotes-and-tippett-part-ways/c-290078552?tid=277567764

The owner may be wearing clown shoes out there. Or the boy wonder stats guy GM may be an incompetent people manager. Or both.

Back