• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

NHL Playoff Prediction Thread: 2016-2017 Edition

Yes Anderson needs to outplay Fleury.

Also, Crosby doesn't look 100%.

Pens in 5: Pens are just better, except for #65, but he's one player . . . not enough.
Preds in 6: Ducks are deeper (up front), more balanced . . . but Preds are this year's "on a roll team" and they're good enough to beat the Ducks.

Last edited:
4 or 5? Seriously? I'd like to hear why.
IMO:
- As u mentioned Ducks are way deeper up front vs the Preds one line (Mike Fisher & Smith as Preds #2-3Cs vs Kesler, Rakell)

- The Kessler effect: awesome vs McDavid, logic would dictate he should be able to repeat vs Johanssen

- 6-man D unit: very impressed with Ducks D, I don't think the mobility/puck moving margin of Preds 6-man unit is as significant vs Ducks as it was vs Hawks & STL, Preds still have a better D (especially the collective top-4), but not by as wide a margin - the Preds are completely dependent on their top-4D, even a slight slip is significant for them due to lack of depth up front

- Getzlaf factor: u mentioned "on a roll", looks to me like Getzlaf's on a mission these playoffs to quasi-cement his HOF standing

- As*hole factor: I think Getzlaf, Perry, and Kessler will run amok - take vicious/cheap dirty (before, during & after puck drop) shots by targeting the likes of Josi, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Johanssen, and most importantly get away with it because of who they are vs being a goon

I think the games will be very close, and do think the Preds have the advantage of having travelled very little the first two rounds since they faced Central division opponents, but in the end IMO MBs first roommate & mentor has done a phenomenal job as GM.

I knew the Ducks were big, and nasty, but never realized how fast & talented they were as a team, and how deep & talented their D corps is.

Last edited:
I think Pens and Ducks will win.

But i'd like the Sens to make the Finals...we will probably be able to find cheap tickets

IMO:
- As u mentioned Ducks are way deeper up front vs the Preds one line (Mike Fisher & Smith as Preds #2-3Cs vs Kesler, Rakell)

- The Kessler effect: awesome vs McDavid, logic would dictate he should be able to repeat vs Johanssen

- 6-man D unit: very impressed with Ducks D, I don't think the mobility/puck moving margin of Preds 6-man unit is as significant vs Ducks as it was vs Hawks & STL, Preds still have a better D (especially the collective top-4), but not by as wide a margin - the Preds are completely dependent on their top-4D, even a slight slip is significant for them due to lack of depth up front

- Getzlaf factor: u mentioned "on a roll", looks to me like Getzlaf's on a mission these playoffs to quasi-cement his HOF standing

- As*hole factor: I think Getzlaf, Perry, and Kessler will run amok - take vicious/cheap dirty (before, during & after puck drop) shots by targeting the likes of Josi, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Johanssen, and most importantly get away with it because of who they are vs being a goon

I think the games will be very close, and do think the Preds have the advantage of having travelled very little the first two rounds since they faced Central division opponents, but in the end IMO MBs first roommate & mentor has done a phenomenal job as GM.

I knew the Ducks were big, and nasty, but never realized how fast & talented they were as a team, and how deep & talented their D corps is.

Didn't mentor well enough.

Stanley Cup Final:
medpit.gif
Pittsburgh vs.
mednas.gif
Nashville

Pens in 5: Pens are just better, except for #65, but he's one player . . . not enough.
Preds in 6: Ducks are deeper (up front), more balanced . . . but Preds are this year's "on a roll team" and they're good enough to beat the Ducks.

I was pretty close. Just saying.

I'm no fan of the Pens, but I think they beat the Preds in 5. Hope I'm wrong.

https://www.nhl.com/news/ea-sports-nhl-17-predicts-predators-will-win-stanley-cup/c-282446318

The Stanley Cup will be bound for Nashville if the EA SPORTS NHL 17 simulation of the 2016-17 NHL season becomes reality.

According to results of the simulation, released Thursday, the Nashville Predators will become the first team since the Chicago Blackhawks in 2012-13 to win the Presidents' Trophy and Stanley Cup in the same season. The Predators are projected to finish with 110 points and defeat the Montreal Canadiens in six games in the Final.

A Predators-Canadiens Cup Final would feature the teams involved in the most notable move of the offseason, when the Canadiens traded defenseman P.K. Subban to the Predators for defenseman Shea Webber on June 29.

In the simulation, Predators forward Filip Forsberg wins the Conn Smythe Trophy with 26 points in 24 Stanley Cup Playoff games. The Predators' road to the Cup includes six-game series wins against the Minnesota Wild and Dallas Stars in the first two rounds, and then a defeat of the San Jose Sharks in six games in the Western Conference Final.

According to the simulation, Montreal will defeat the Florida Panthers in seven games in the first round, the Tampa Bay Lightning in six games in the second round and the Washington Capitals in six games in the Eastern Conference Final to reach the Cup Final for the first time since 1993.

Led by captain Connor McDavid, who is projected to win the Art Ross, Ted Lindsay and Hart trophies, the Edmonton Oilers finish third in the Pacific Division and end their 10-season playoff drought. Auston Matthews, the No. 1 pick of the 2016 NHL Draft, will win the Calder Trophy and lead the Toronto Maple Leafs to the playoffs for the first time since 2012-13. In the simulation the Maple Leafs have 91 points to finish as the second wild card in the Eastern Conference.

Canadiens goalie Carey Price wins the Vezina Trophy for the second time in three seasons, and Sharks defenseman Brent Burns is named the winner of the Norris Trophy.

NHL 17 projects the Detroit Red Wings will miss the playoffs for the first time since 1989-90, ending their playoff streak at 25 seasons.

Back