• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The (Around the League) Playoffs Thread

So close and yet so far.

Problem is that this run was so improbable that it kind of feels worse than the game 7 2003 lose to the Devils. In 2003 we thought we would be favorites to win the cup the next year and thus it felt like it would be a short wait until we get another shot. This year I wonder if it might take a while to get back to that point.

Still having the 3rd best season in the league isn't bad.

eh it's not all about winning cups. this run will be a great memory for sens fans. much better one than the cup finals they got creamed in with a stacked team.

Sens need another centre. Over 82 games karlsson masks the hole because he plays like a centre on the breakout and how he leads he rush but that got exposed against a team w two stud c's.

Turris is a good second line c and can handle a 1a or 1b situation but they're too thin behind him.

I don't think Turris-Brassard-Pageau is that bad (better than what the habs have, for example), but yeah probably not good enough.

Sens need another centre. Over 82 games karlsson masks the hole because he plays like a centre on the breakout and how he leads he rush but that got exposed against a team w two stud c's.

Turris is a good second line c and can handle a 1a or 1b situation but they're too thin behind him.

Not necesarily another C, but they need someone who can be a potential game-breaking talent up front. I mean, right now, if the chips are down and they needed to get a goal in the last minute of a game, who are they throwing out there? It's guys like Hoffman, Stone, Turris, Brassard, Ryan. Yeah, they're all solid talents, but all seem more apt in a supporting role than one that can be the leader up front for them. Karlsson obviously makes up for that in most ways, especially when he's logging 30+ minutes per game in critical spots, but still feels like they need a true top talent up front to be able to go far in games that Anderson isn't running a .950+ sv pct.

He always seems to play this well when he isn't used as a full time starter. But the numbers always seem to drop when he shoulders the full load. Remember, he missed half the season this year.

The finals matchup is really interesting with Pit down there #1 D and Nashville down their #1 C. It's going to be strength down the middle vs. strength on the backend.

Can Anderson really turn in another season like this?

That'd be my biggest worry as a Sens fan.

Anderson only played 40 games during the regular season. In the playoffs, this was actually the only series in which he played well. The Sens made it to the Conference Final in spite of him.

And yeah, the consensus among Sens fans is that Turris/Ceci/1st round pick should be dealt for a real first line C, if available.

I'm no fan of the Pens, but I think they win this in 5. Hope I'm wrong.

Not necesarily another C, but they need someone who can be a potential game-breaking talent up front. I mean, right now, if the chips are down and they needed to get a goal in the last minute of a game, who are they throwing out there? It's guys like Hoffman, Stone, Turris, Brassard, Ryan. Yeah, they're all solid talents, but all seem more apt in a supporting role than one that can be the leader up front for them. Karlsson obviously makes up for that in most ways, especially when he's logging 30+ minutes per game in critical spots, but still feels like they need a true top talent up front to be able to go far in games that Anderson isn't running a .950+ sv pct.
A legitimate game-breaker up front, even if it is a winger, would no doubt help.

But even with that, I can't see them making the jump from "plucky underdog that went on a great run" to being a top-flight regular season team and legit contender unless they somehow add a legit #1 center. If you go back and look at the Stanley Cup champs for at least the last 20 years, arguably only two teams have won without that kind of player: Boston in 2011, and New Jersey in 2003. And that Boston team still had two better centers than anyone on the Sens (Krejci, Bergeron), and they both produced like #1 centers during that playoff run.

Really, they're in the same boat as the Habs. They should pray that John Tavares doesn't re-sign with the Isles, and then throw a ton of money at him next summer.

He always seems to play this well when he isn't used as a full time starter. But the numbers always seem to drop when he shoulders the full load. Remember, he missed half the season this year.
Yeah, based on Anderson's track record, the Sens would be best-served if they don't go back to giving him a full starter's workload next year.

If they make sure they get a good platoon goalie, whether it's Condon or someone else, then they could probably count on Anderson to play at a pretty high level come playoff time again next season.

Nah nashville is good, and Rinne is on his game, and the pens are injured. I take the Pens still but I think it'll be close and could go either way.

Nah nashville is good, and Rinne is on his game, and the pens are injured. I take the Pens still but I think it'll be close and could go either way.

Preds are just as banged up. Took a lot of punishment in the Ducks series. And sure, they won two games without Johansen. But I don't see them winning 4 more.

Back