• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The (Around the League) Playoffs Thread

This was the Sens one shot. it's over. They don't have the young core the Leafs do to look forward to multiple years of contention.

This was the Sens one shot. it's over. They don't have the young core the Leafs do to look forward to multiple years of contention.

Karlsson is only 27 and has 2 more years under contract. He'll be able to anchor a competitive team.

We can also look forward to the decline of certain Eastern Teams (Washington/Columbus) who likely also peeked last year.

Karlsson gives them a shot every year. He's arguably the best player in the world. But one thing in the run no one is talking about is the division stunk this year. Ottawa had to get through Boston, Montreal and the Rangers. We all knew it would be an easy path to the third round. Thats why we didn't want the wild card, and why the Rangers did.

Nice run and all, but it just as easily could have been the Canadiens, Rangers, Bruins or Leafs. Meanwhile Pittsburgh got beat up going through the 1st and 4th best teams in the league.

Not always.

Sometimes a first line centre is traded for Alex Chiasson, Alex Guptill, Nicholas Paul and a second-round pick
Declining, poor-skating, fairly one-dimensional 31 year-old pending UFA's with $7M cap hits will naturally be cheaper on the trade market.

Even taking all that into consideration though, that trade was still kind of a rip-off for the Sens.

Karlsson is only 27 and has 2 more years under contract. He'll be able to anchor a competitive team.

We can also look forward to the decline of certain Eastern Teams (Washington/Columbus) who likely also peeked last year.

Columbus peaked after one year in the playoffs? Heh, well that was a small window.

Columbus peaked after one year in the playoffs? Heh, well that was a small window.

Jones-Werenski-Savard-Murray on the blueline
Saad-Wennberg-Jenner-Atkinson-Bjorkstrand...with PLD on the way up front.

All 27 or younger and in most cases much younger.

They lack in elite skill in the forward group (but have a handful of 50-65 point talent), but that blueline could be the new Nashville very shortly and they're set in net.

Those banking on the decline of Washington are probably wrong for a few more years as well. They can replace the Alzner's and Oshie's. They're still going to be a legitimate contender for a few more years, their predisposition to choking in the playoffs notwithstanding.

All Ottawa proved is that anything can happen in this league.

You're never going to have an easy time facing a loaded team like the Penguins, they have 3 of the best players in the world on their roster.

And still it came down to double overtime in game 7.

Of course they could get back there next year. They could also miss the playoffs. Welcome to 2017.

The Pens got healthier as the series went on.

Looking back, the golden opportunity was Game 4 - and the Sens couldn't solve Murray.

Ottawa Ages

27 - 27 - 24
31 - 29 - 29
28 - 24 - 24
35 - 20 -

31 - 26
31 - 23
27 - 27
24 - 20

they're not exactly old.

The Pens got healthier as the series went on.

Looking back, the golden opportunity was Game 4 - and the Sens couldn't solve Murray.

The D is an absolute mess. I will argue that D is the weakest in NHL history if they win a cup.
And I will love it as a Leaf fan. Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev destroy the Pens top 3 right now.
Rumour is Schultz is playing with broken ribs.

To some degree it's true that in a lot of instances, the NHL is a coin-flip league when it gets to playoff time. Still, I think it'll be quite some time before the Eastern conference is as wide-open as it was for anybody on the Atlantic division side of the bracket this year.

I expect Tampa to be back with a vengence next year. Florida's another bounce-back candidate, now that their off-ice circus appears to be over, and with them being in tough to have worse injury luck than they had this year.

The Leafs should benefit from the maturation of their young players, and the abundance of cap space they have to play with this summer. Next year might also finally be the year the Sabres get their shit together and take that next step.

It's also a good bet that whoever comes out of the Metropolitan side of the bracket next year won't be as injury-riddled as the Pens were, and that the Eastern conference champion won't be facing off against a 16th place team in the Stanley Cup final.

Ottawa Ages

27 - 27 - 24
31 - 29 - 29
28 - 24 - 24
35 - 20 -

31 - 26
31 - 23
27 - 27
24 - 20

they're not exactly old.
Age does not matter. Do you feel that core can do this again next year? I don't. (And this from a guy who picked them as a serious threat in the east and to beat the Pens)

Last edited:
Eh, other than #1C i'm not sure they're missing a whole lot.

and i still don't get why people love fla so much. 15-16 looks more like a fluke than anything.

Eh, other than #1C i'm not sure they're missing a whole lot.

and i still don't get why people love fla so much. 15-16 looks more like a fluke than anything.

Depends on what you think about Barkov or Ekblad going forward really. Not so long ago Ekblad looked like the 2nd coming of Chris Pronger and Barkov was starting to look like a #1C

Back