• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Playoffs Thread

Lavi gets another team to the Cup finals. Regardless of whether or not he wins the Cup he has about 2-3 more seasons in Nashville before they will need a new coach. I could envision Lavi coaching a record breaking 4th team to the Cup finals at some point before he hangs up the suit.

Congrats to Nashville, excited for them and their fans. Now we just need Ottawa to make a comeback here to guarantee a 'never won the Cup' winner (ignoring Ottawa's folded franchise Cups from way back).

Last edited:
Lavi gets another team to the Cup finals. Regardless of whether or not he wins the Cup he has about 2-3 more seasons in Nashville before they will need a new coach. I could envision Lavi coaching a record breaking 4th team to the Cup finals at some point before he hangs up the suit.

Congrats to Nashville, excited for them and their fans. Now we just need Ottawa to make a comeback here to guarantee a 'never won the Cup' winner (ignoring Ottawa's folded franchise Cups from way back).

I think the Sens have a good shot, of course, their backs are against the wall heading into game 6. I think they pull off a hard fought win tonight setting up for a game 7. Just can't see the Penguins losing two straight being up 3-2 at this point in the playoffs. Also not sure if the Sens will have anymore magic to find in their story... the rest of the series may very well be decided between the pipes as I would expect Anderson to bounce back super solid here on out and Fleury to keep up his post season prowess he's shown these playoffs.

Congrats to Nashville. They need to put a video clip together featuring PK and his teammates, big smile...playing music from Eddie Grant's "Do you feel my love?"

=)

Gotta love the Preds and their fans and that market, in many ways it seems an awful lot like the runs we all enjoyed here with the Canes. Wild crowds with a rabid fan base that really have got behind their team in a so called non traditional market, huge throngs at the airport welcoming the team back home...just lots of similarities!

I'd love for Nashville to win the Cup. Reminds me of our run and all the rabid excitement, enthusiasm and the non-traditional market. Also, there's that revenge element that I'm enjoying-- the team JR has in Pittsburgh running into the coach he won his first cup with and then was fired and disparaged (being fired is one thing, but the comments after were just awful).

I love how Pete has the Preds playing and all props to them for making the Finals ... but sooner or later their injuries are going to catch up with them. They got it done in those last 3 games with duct tape, bailing wire and children stepping into the breach next to trench warfare veterans. Don't know if that's going to be enough in the next series. Of course, whoever wins the East will still have to beat Rinne enough to make it matter and that guy is on another planet right now, even by his own lofty standards.

Either way ... I'll be rooting for Pete to get another one done. Love the guy's style. Always have.

what was their beef with him?

Coach Lavy expected Eric Staal, Cam Ward, and the other lazy players to actually care and give 100% effort....maye even show up to camp in shape. That conflicted with the Hurricanes family/country club style at the time. How dare someone actually yell at certain players........the travesty!

Dear Canadian Media-

In preparation of the Stanley Cup Final coverage, please be aware that Nashville has been a pretty great hockey market for years now. Please avoid the redneck stories that you are bound to recycle from the Hurricanes Stanley Cup days.

A more interesting story might be the first conference finals game NOT to sell out it 10 years just happened.....in Canada. http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...rs-trying-to-sell-out-game-6-against-penguins

Either way ... I'll be rooting for Pete to get another one done. Love the guy's style. Always have.

I'm with you. To me, it's "if you don't have the puck, go get it. If you have it, attack attack, attack." The polar opposite of Jacques Lemaire.

Ottawa couldn't clear the defensive zone, couldn't get the puck through the neutral zone, and wouldn't play organized defense in front of Anderson other than shamelessly mugging Crosby. Without Anderson they'd be on the beach right now. I'd rather they win, but geez that was ugly.

And Pens are riding Dumoulin hard. Real hard. It's a good thing Slavin and Pesce emerged or we'd be second guessing that one big time.

Good for the Sens for pushing a 7th game. It's ugly, but I can't like the Pens either. The tv guys even commented on the lack of a sellout last night. Seems odd, that many empty seats.

Dear Canadian Media-

In preparation of the Stanley Cup Final coverage, please be aware that Nashville has been a pretty great hockey market for years now. Please avoid the redneck stories that you are bound to recycle from the Hurricanes Stanley Cup days.

A more interesting story might be the first conference finals game NOT to sell out it 10 years just happened.....in Canada. http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...rs-trying-to-sell-out-game-6-against-penguins

Ugh. I hadn't even thought of that but you're right. They won't get the Mayberry jabs but the country music connection is enough to rev the shlock engines of the Canadian and Northeastern hockey media just the same. God help us all.

Hey Preds ... you do you, guys. Be who you are as a market, which has been awesome for the NHL and for hockey in the Southeast. The idiots are going to say whatever the heck they're going to say either way.

And Pens are riding Dumoulin hard. Real hard. It's a good thing Slavin and Pesce emerged or we'd be second guessing that one big time.

Thing is ... even this deep into his second playoff run I still can't get a handle on how much I like that kid's game. I mean, he's fine ... calm, competent, good positionally ... but I just don't know. Sure, we clearly could have used the guy around here. Don't get me wrong. But unless his offensive game really blooms, then he looks like a pretty one dimensional player ... and maybe not quite as good at that as the two kids we've got. Pesce and Slavin are both pretty limited offensively as well, but I think Pesce still has room to grow and Slavin is just flat out better as a shutdown guy.

Dunno. He's clearly a useful player but I have a hard time getting all misty about missing out on Dumoulin.

Ugly series overall between Pens-Sens. I find it hard to believe that it is going to a game 7 but Anderson stood on his head last night. Now on to game 7 where anything can happen. Pittsburgh should be favored but Game 7's usually fall into the toss up category.

I find it hard to believe the NHL is getting too excited about a Preds-Sens Finals. I think that would pull some of the lowest ratings in years......even the people in Ottawa don't give a crap about this Sens team as they can't even come close to selling out critical playoff games. If that is the final, it is going to be some really ugly TV ratings.

Regarding Dumoulin he is a clear top 4 defensemen, but he is currently overslotted as one of the top 2 guys due to injury. Dumo is the guy you want paired with a Letang or a Schultz....not the guy carrying the load while they are injured. When Dumoulin is at his best, you don't notice him and that isn't a bad thing for a guy playing a lot of minutes on D. He moves well, usually makes good decisions and can hit the breakout pass. He probably isn't as good as Slavin but is better than Pesce if you were to slot him into the Canes D.

Yeah ... can't imagine the league sales guys would be excited for Ottawa/Nashville. Least interesting Canadian team versus non-traditional US market team. Not exactly their dream scenario. The hockey would probably be boring too, if I'm honest.

I still second guess that one every time I watch Filip Forsberg play. He was available when Carolina would have drafted, and his scoring should would look good on the current edition of the Hurricanes.

Back