Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Playoffs Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Playoffs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tfahs View Post
    I still second guess that one every time I watch Filip Forsberg play. He was available when Carolina would have drafted, and his scoring should would look good on the current edition of the Hurricanes.
    Well, there's second guessing the '09 draft and second guessing trading Dumoulin with Brandon Sutter and a 1st rounder for Jordan Staal before he'd even played a game for us... nothing against Jordan, but Pittsburgh certainly got the better end of that deal so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno. You're saying the net result - Brandon Sutter is in Vancouver. I would have issue if we're saying that Dumoulin is more valuable than J. Staal? sure, they got the 1st. And god knows I wish someone would light a fire under Jordan's butt sometimes, but he is pretty rock solid as a center, productive or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you JN. While Jordan Staal has not produced offensively the way everyone here was hoping, he has sure been a rock as a #2 center for us. He's a monster out there in his own end and his offensive contributions are adequate. Its easy to see that when paired with wingers who are dangerous in the offensive end, Staal has 50-60 point potential out there.

In hindsight it would have been better to not make that trade and just sign Jordan Staal when he became a UFA (assuming of course that he had his heart set on coming here to play with Eric). But its not like we traded away a current NHL superstar and who knows what we would have done if we made that first round pick. As stands right now we have the best player from the trade by far. Jordan >>>> Brandon Sutter. Dumoulin is a good DMan, but its not like he has been some sort of breakout star.

Having Staal here makes Ronnie's job easier... '2nd line checking center capable of playing 20 minutes a night if necessary in all situations?' Faceoff monster, capable of matching up against anyone, 50 point potential? We got that box checked off for sure. Goalie? Check! Now we just need to get some guys who can finish so that we are not going through stretches where 3 goals seems a difficult task and we need to shore up the 3rd D pair with guys who are actually NHL Dmen. I've ragged on his production a lot since Staal has been here, but he is not the problem and we are fortunate he is still here considering the role he plays and how good he is at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Look. There are those who would undress basically every single trade the franchise has ever made just to poke holes with 20/20 hindsight. But that's fairly pointless most of the time. Especially since inevitably whatever GM somebody's shooting at is generally long gone. To me, once the GM moves on, his dumb decisions die with him.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is if Jordan really wanted to play with his brother he could just have signed as a free agent the next year as cm2 says. So the question is more if having Jordan a year earlier was worth it. The answer is of course not.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we may be forgetting general NHL business flow.. you tend to try to trade your pending UFA's before they become UFA - in order to get something in return. I believe that this was what Pittsburgh wanted to achieve, did, and wouldn't be surprised if every party was completely open and agreed to this before the trade went down. There was also the element of ensuring we'd sign him, ok that was a given. But, gentlemen could have agreed to work out a deal before his contract was up in order to get something in return. You can't say we were stupid to agree, Pittsburgh could have turned around and dealt Jordan elsewhere. Plus - they had leverage - they knew we wanted him for all obvious reasons.

Honestly, I was more bummed out about us losing Brandon while being really happy about getting Jordan. Dumoulin was unproven, and to me at this point still is. He hasn't found his step. Brandon, although a very good 3rd line center who may even have a bigger ($%@$@ than Staal, has pretty much proven his ceiling production wise in the NHL. And Jordan, even though we all still think he ain't producing all that - still is out producing Sutter and delivering a bit more in every other area of his game than Brandon's. I think maybe Sutter might be a bit faster, acceleration and definitely has better hands down low/in clutch, but Jordan makes up for that with his immovable frame and monstrous puck possession.

But yeah... its moot. Get over it Nobody misses Dumoulin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JamesNorthern View Post
    I think we may be forgetting general NHL business flow.. you tend to try to trade your pending UFA's before they become UFA - in order to get something in return. I believe that this was what Pittsburgh wanted to achieve, did, and wouldn't be surprised if every party was completely open and agreed to this before the trade went down. There was also the element of ensuring we'd sign him, ok that was a given. But, gentlemen could have agreed to work out a deal before his contract was up in order to get something in return. You can't say we were stupid to agree, Pittsburgh could have turned around and dealt Jordan elsewhere. Plus - they had leverage - they knew we wanted him for all obvious reasons.

Honestly, I was more bummed out about us losing Brandon while being really happy about getting Jordan. Dumoulin was unproven, and to me at this point still is. He hasn't found his step. Brandon, although a very good 3rd line center who may even have a bigger ($%@$@ than Staal, has pretty much proven his ceiling production wise in the NHL. And Jordan, even though we all still think he ain't producing all that - still is out producing Sutter and delivering a bit more in every other area of his game than Brandon's. I think maybe Sutter might be a bit faster, acceleration and definitely has better hands down low/in clutch, but Jordan makes up for that with his immovable frame and monstrous puck possession.

But yeah... its moot. Get over it Nobody misses Dumoulin
    Right and it was 1 year pending UFA. So they agreed to do this. Why would you want to wait, when you know you want a trade?

Post Thanks / Like

Finals are set ... Pittsburgh vs Nashville

While Game 7 of the Eastern series went to OT, I didn't much care for that game. It was a war of attrition by the 3rd period and got increasingly ragged. Fittingly, it ended on a flutter-puck/mis-hit from Kunitz in the 2nd OT. Ottawa clawed their way as far as their goaltending and D could carry them, but when the D started to physically break down it was really only a matter of time.

Pittsburgh is going to get more of the same from the Predators. With their two top centermen out of action this is going to again hinge on a great keeper in Rinne with a stout system in front of him. No clue how this will go, but I'm still rooting for Lavi to take his second Cup.

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    Finals are set ... Pittsburgh vs Nashville

While Game 7 of the Eastern series went to OT, I didn't much care for that game. It was a war of attrition by the 3rd period and got increasingly ragged. Fittingly, it ended on a flutter-puck/mis-hit from Kunitz in the 2nd OT. Ottawa clawed their way as far as their goaltending and D could carry them, but when the D started to physically break down it was really only a matter of time.

Pittsburgh is going to get more of the same from the Predators. With their two top centermen out of action this is going to again hinge on a great keeper in Rinne with a stout system in front of him. No clue how this will go, but I'm still rooting for Lavi to take his second Cup.
    The better team won last night. With all due respect, Ottawa had a ton of good fortune to make it that far starting with a depleted Bruins team that was missing half of their defense in the first round. I just could not get in to the boring style of play that Guy Boucher loves to implement, and 6 more games of that in the Finals would not have been exciting hockey for the NHL.

Preds vs Pens should be a great series with two great fan bases! I'll take Preds in 6 only because the Pens look gassed and the Stanley Cup hangover from last year is real!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to go Pens in 6. I want the Preds to win the Cup but I just see way too much Kessel, Crosby, Malkin happening in the Cup finals. Just have a bad feeling that Renne isn't going to be able to save the Preds active D from getting burned too many times by the Pens high end forwards.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

It is going to be an interesting matchup in the finals:

- First time two American head coaches face off. Each are really good coaches and like to be aggressive which will benefit us fans!
    - Goaltending is probably a wash....Murray and Renne are two of best in league
    - Preds have the best Defense in the NHL....I like the quote from one of the Penguins after the game last night when asked about the Preds D. He said we have to now prepare for 4 Erik Karlsson's!
    - Pens have the best group of forwards in NHL
    - As is normal at this point, each team is fairly beaten up and missing key players

Will be a good match up and should be much better hockey to watch than the ECF games. I feel bad for Craig Anderson (did anyone see his face on the Kunitz OT goal?) but NHL fans caught a break when Ottawa finally lost.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

One other comment about the Pens-Sens series. For as much press as Ottawa's trap received, it really was a non-factor in the final 3 games of the series. Pittsburgh was flying through the neutral zone and entering the zone at will. The only thing that kept Ottawa in it was Craig Anderson who was absolutely fantastic. Pittsburgh deserved to win, but Craig Anderson didn't deserve to lose.

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPen View Post
    One other comment about the Pens-Sens series. For as much press as Ottawa's trap received, it really was a non-factor in the final 3 games of the series. Pittsburgh was flying through the neutral zone and entering the zone at will. The only thing that kept Ottawa in it was Craig Anderson who was absolutely fantastic. Pittsburgh deserved to win, but Craig Anderson didn't deserve to lose.
    Full props due to both Anderson and his play and the freak known as Erik Karlsson. Does that guy ever go off the ice or ever get tired? Playing with hairline fractures in his foot and just does everything so well and never seems to get off the ice. Whatever that guy is eating and wherever he gets his energy from I would like to have some to better assist me in chasing around my 3 year old son!

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Fisher practiced yesterday so he's likely back for the Finals. But the Pens are getting some of their guys back too, mainly Daley and Schultz, who played last night with broken ribs. Hornqvist could be back too. Still all in on Nashville though and maybe that's my heart and not my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    The better team won last night. With all due respect, Ottawa had a ton of good fortune to make it that far starting with a depleted Bruins team that was missing half of their defense in the first round. I just could not get in to the boring style of play that Guy Boucher loves to implement, and 6 more games of that in the Finals would not have been exciting hockey for the NHL.
    No argument from me. It was an ugly, disjointed series at best. The Pens broke down the trap* over the course of the series but Ottawa still was incredibly tenacious in defense and Anderson was stellar aside from that one loose game. The better team won, as you say. They won ugly, but they deserved it.

* note that Ottawa's version of the trap is not the same brand we've seen so often in the past 20 years. Those are typically some variation on the old left wing lock that try to pinch the opponent into one side of the neutral zone or the other and apply extra man pressure to force turnovers. Ottawa more or less dropped three across the blue line full-time, similar to how teams generally behave when they're "turtling" on a lead. To me this is just anti-hockey, and something I will NEVER support. Boucher makes Guy Martin look less like a bridge troll ... a thing I simply will not tolerate. He makes Paul Maurice look like a swashbuckling adventurer. He should be flogged in the town square at noon for crimes against the sport.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Ottawa deploys a 1-3-1 trap, just like hoops.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    Yep, Ottawa deploys a 1-3-1 trap, just like hoops.
    Most of the time it looks more like a 1-1-3, but yeah ... it definitely looks like a half court zone press in basketball.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112