• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

CBC 7pm Rnd1 Gm4: WSH @ TOR - I Like

Exactly. They outplayed us and we still kept it within one

Holtby is beatable and hasn't performed well. Decent goaltending for the remainder of the series and I'm confident we take it

Marner has struggled big time as well.

And yes, blown 5 on 3 was was huge in this game
Yeah, Marner hasn't been able to drive the play much at all in this series.

Funny enough though, he still has a goal and four points in four games.

Holtby wasn't much better than Andersen tonight.

Yep, that makes it worse though...you have to take advantage when a vezina calibre goalie isn't trying to steal games from you. Holtby hasn't been great this series, and we could easily be up 3-1 or heaven forbid, out in 4 had Freddy not pissed away the two games he did.

Holtby wasn't much better than Andersen tonight.

Holtby was pretty solid in the 3rd overall - you can't fault him too much for either goal, and the Leafs were controlling the play in the early part of the period. Andersen's goals were just brutal, and Holtby was enough better to not cost his team.

Lets be real. The team defense is garbage. Andersen is an average goaltender. Nothing more.

Zaitsev has been shit since coming back. Having only 2 nhl caliber defenders on the team would kill any team regardless of the offensive firepower.

Look at the type of goals that are going in. It has nothing to do with team defence or Zaitsev or anything else. Why does Oshie have to score there? It's a joke.

The difference between Andersen and the better goalies in the league, in a nutshell, is the number of unscreened and undeflected shots that he allows to get by him. The number of straight up shooter-on-goalie confrontations that he loses.

Ovechkin has blown it by many a goalie hundreds of times from that same spot, so I'm not complaining about those ones. It's Ovechkin. I don't expect a Frederick Andersen to be flashing leather on those on a regular basis. What I'm talking about is allowing Tom ****ing Wilson to make a monkey out of you...in two games now!

The worst part is Holtby hasn't even been good...but he's still managing to outplay our guy. That's the frustrating part for me.

Look at the type of goals that are going in. It has nothing to do with team defence or Zaitsev or anything else. Why does Oshie have to score there? It's a joke.

The difference between Andersen and the better goalies in the league, in a nutshell, is the number of unscreened and undeflected shots that he allows to get by him. The number of straight up shooter-on-goalie confrontations that he loses.

Ovechkin has blown it by many a goalie hundreds of times from that same spot, so I'm not complaining about those ones. It's Ovechkin. I don't expect a Frederick Andersen to be flashing leather on those on a regular basis. What I'm talking about is allowing Tom ****ing Wilson to make a monkey out of you...in two games now!

The worst part is Holtby hasn't even been good...but he's still managing to outplay our guy. That's the frustrating part for me.

Andersen was also giving up a bunch of rebounds too, but yeah, it's the Wilson and Oshie goals where the shooter is alone in front, the goalie has enough time to have him squared up, and they just go straight through him, that you can't afford to give up if you want to have any chance of going deep in the playoffs. Ovie's shots, or the ones that tip in front, even if you're weak on those they're excusable. Or if he is giving up a few bad goals here or there, he needs to make that sprawling save, or flash the glove, or stop one that other goalies will let in. Andersen hasn't done that.

enough of your reimer worship, volc.

I still agree with the move, he was definitely a steadying presence in the net through out the season. He's a legitimate NHL starter, but that's about it. At some point before the end of his contract, we're going to be wanting an upgrade.

They made the deal not knowing how quickly the team was going to be good. They probably thought it would be a few years, best case, before we needed serious postseason goaltending and that Andersen could be a decent option while the team developed.

Instead, we need it right now.

It's weird that Freddy lets those unscreened long ones in constantly. May be a concentration or tracking issue or whatnot. I mean, the team can keep pace with Washington and certainly they went Yakety Sax on that last Oshie goal but man...would be nice for him to go start to finish consistent. I'm expecting he'll settle into a .920ish playoff goalie over the long haul, which means we'll need to be fairly vigilant around him. We're going to take the rubber match in Washington though.

They made the deal not knowing how quickly the team was going to be good. They probably thought it would be a few years, best case, before we needed serious postseason goaltending and that Andersen could be a decent option while the team developed.

Instead, we need it right now.

But you don't make a deal and give a goalie 5 years if you think you're going to want an upgrade later on him.

Most likely they saw enough in him to be this steady starter, a Crawford/Fleury type level goalie who can be good enough to potentially win with, and gave him a cheap enough contract by signing him early that you guarantee to not have to spend a ton on your goaltending. So while the team is not ready yet, he gets exposed. But throw in some upgrades on D and letting the kids develop over the next few years, and it may not be as bad. Basically, the Chicago model, where you just hope that he's not bad enough to cost you the series, most years being decent enough, and maybe he gets lucky some year and has a great playoff run.

I am very confident that we can take this

The Caps haven't once shown the dominance of a 118 pt team this series

If Freddy can get his shit together to give us semi competent goaltending and we can stay out of the box we got this

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Love the fight in this team. Night and Day when compared to the Oilers game last night. I love what I am seeing with this team so far in the playoffs.

I don't really see any reason to second-guess the Freddie Andersen move at this point.

He is what he is: a slightly above-average NHL starting goalie.

If we can eventually have a Matt Murray or Cory Schneider come along and steal his job, or if the opportunity arises to acquire a very clear upgrade over him, that'd be great. And if that does happen, his contract shouldn't be any impediment to trading him, especially if he can keep laying down a track record as a fairly solid starting goalie, and as years keep ticking off his deal.

But in the meantime, he was good enough to get us into the playoffs this year in the first place (and played great down the stretch to get us there), and unless I'm drawing a blank on someone obvious, I'm pretty sure the Leafs would already be golfing if they'd gone with any of the other available goalies this summer.

Back