• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT -- Round 1, Game 5, Leafs @ Capitals

If we lose this series, I really hope it's in 7 games and not tomorrow.

This has been the best, most fun hockey I've seen in so many years, and I want it to go on as long as possible. That's why I was so bummed by the OT loss last night, because of the loss itself and that it came one minute in.

Would love at least one more victory to celebrate tomorrow and set the stage for an epic dogfight in game 7.

Because he's the size of a 10 year old, it's his first NHL season, and he's matched up against a big physical strong defensive team in an intense playoff series -- also his first.

There's also the fact JVR could be doing a lot more to keep pucks in for more of a cycle game(and in turn give Marner the puck more often so he can create). Marner isn't going to get that much stronger imo(in the offseason he should do some work though) or play a physical game(and he doesn't have to). My issue with Marner is the last 10-20 games has been that he's making poor decisions where instead of shooting he's just always looking to pass first and basically ruining plays. It's more irritating than anything else about his game. He's capable 1 on 1 and has a very nice shot so why just not use it. I think he'll be much more improved next year because this stuff is not that hard to correct.

Marincin looks fine to me. Maybe even good.

Dermott looks like the legit all around 2nd pair guy going forward, while Nielsen looks more like a Franson type.

He looks fine in the handling the puck like a grenade kind of way. Hopefully they upgrade next season because neither him or Carrick should be in there. Dermott will most likely get that spot next year.

Because he's the size of a 10 year old, it's his first NHL season, and he's matched up against a big physical strong defensive team in an intense playoff series -- also his first.
In addition to having to recover from his shoulder injury, he was also apparently battling an illness down the stretch that caused him to lose a bunch of weight...when he doesn't really have a whole lot of weight to spare in the first place.

Dermott looks like the legit all around 2nd pair guy going forward, while Nielsen looks more like a Franson type.
I dunno, I think the best grade I've give Marincin is "passable".

The one part of his game that's always really good is his ability to break up plays with his stick. But when he's actually got the puck on the stick, or when he's trying to get the puck back from the other team, he scares the hell out of me.

Marincin is showing he is a fine #6/7. Good PKer, decent enough defensively. His puck handling ability makes him more of a 7 than a 6, but I think Dermott easily fills that bottom pair slot. They need to upgrade on Polak/Carrick in the top 4, but this series, and really the last few months of the season are proving the Leafs D is way underrated by most.

I agree they are missing a big bomb from the point though.

I'll admit, this is the first game I was frustrated with JVR.

The reach in, and refusal to enter the fray, when the puck was up for grabs really bothered me.

I still think he's a keeper and these are his warts, but it was annoying for sure last night.

They have playmakers on D. Gardiner scored 40 points this year, and Reilly has been top 25 in ES production over the last two years.

But they do kinda need a Shatty. A guy who generates tons of shots and goals and opens up some room down low.

Marincin is showing he is a fine #6/7. Good PKer, decent enough defensively. His puck handling ability makes him more of a 7 than a 6, but I think Dermott easily fills that bottom pair slot. They need to upgrade on Polak/Carrick in the top 4, but this series, and really the last few months of the season are proving the Leafs D is way underrated by most.

I agree they are missing a big bomb from the point though.

This.

We have a bunch of guys that I like as bottom pair guys.

Marincin, Carrick, Hunny, Polak.

But you can't really rely too much on the first two defensively and on the PK. We can keep one of those two, and Carrick is clearly the better one.

With Polak's injury, I doubt we bring him back again.

In some ways I'd like a Hunny Carrick bottom pair, but they're too small.

We need to find one top pairing guy we don't already have in house, and keep Hunny and Carrick unless there's a better fit out there. Preferably with size and physicality.

The number of posts on how refs are on our side is also unbelievable. I mean i don't recall maybe 1 penalty that maybe shouldn't have been called but hey are they supposed to call 4-5 for them as well just to keep things equal? That's not their job. If it's a penalty you call it, doesn't matter if it's one sided.

The refs have missed a few elbows, high sticks, illegal picks/obstruction plays just over the last few games that easily could have been called against the Caps.

Finding similar missed call that should have gone against the Leafs would be much more challenging.

Honestly the internet ruins hockey a bit with all this ref bitching.

the refs have been fine.

Sorry to hear about your friend HL. Been battling it myself for the past 16 months.
Anyways. It was hymen who was floating back on that play. Also I think, for myself, one of the 2 biggest disappointments in this series has been the play of marner. He has shown virtually no desire to go to the hard spots or battle in the corners. Jmo

I hope things are looking up for you. That is awful to hear.

Honestly the internet ruins hockey a bit with all this ref bitching.

the refs have been fine.

It's just crazy how different playoff hockey is reffed than regular season hockey. Takes some getting used to.

If we lose this series, I really hope it's in 7 games and not tomorrow.

This has been the best, most fun hockey I've seen in so many years, and I want it to go on as long as possible. That's why I was so bummed by the OT loss last night, because of the loss itself and that it came one minute in.

Would love at least one more victory to celebrate tomorrow and set the stage for an epic dogfight in game 7.
Yep once you are in, you don't want it to end even though you get an ulcer every game. Playoffs are both good and evil

Even though i'll still be happy about the team it'll be a bit disappointing if we go out to Caps. Such close series and we would make it close with Pens as well most likely? I mean our style is so similar to Pens and if Caps move on i have a feeling Pens will destroy them, if not in 4 they're gone in 5. So much talent and experience on that team.

Fransons a good comp for Nielsen.

Not sure about him tbh. Went to a marlins game a few weeks ago and while one play generally shouldn't colour your perception of a player he made the single worst play / decision I have ever seen in a hockey game.

In the dying seconds of a period in a one goal game he skated the puck from the opposing blue line back into his own zone and then , under pressure, tried to cut in front of his own net and was stripped of the puck. No clue what was going on upstairs on that play and it made me wonder if any things going on up there ...

Back