• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Post-Season Thread

2nd round picks are thrown away too liberally....obvious lotto tickets but the more you have, the greater the odds of finding a guy like Subban, Marchand, Bergeron, Lucic, Dubinsky, etc

Kucherov, Weber, etc...

2nd rounders are the perfect picks to swing for the fences. They're expected to fail, there is no pressure on them or even on the scouting staff, and there is plenty of pretty good but flawed players available. Go nuts!

Because his replacement will have a clean slate to tank and rebuild....just like Babcock/Lou sold it in TO

Not happening and you know it, so why waste your time here even suggesting it. Molson and his superiors will never allow it.

exactly...they were lucky because the team had not made the playoffs in years...couldn't even pretend they were a lucky bounce away from winning

yes but the lucky bounce excuse has been used since the Gainey years...I think people see them for what they are: shit

Imagine that Bergy was successful with his first target instead of Radulov? Lucic @ 5X$6m

Which are the teams in need of goalies:
Dallas, Flames, Vancouver, Toronto?

He won't go to Toronto anyway.

and our management focused on adding leaderbeans and fourth liners.

I'm tired of character, and leadership and grit and all the other narratives. Get some ****ing skill.

Not because they didn't share your awesome plan. Everybody knows what the Habs need. The character guys on the margin, while way down on the priority list, are a lot easier to tweak.

Let's cut the crap. Price is going nowhere. I do believe they have to show him significant change to retain him though.

Price and Pacioretty obviously aren't going anywhere.

But at this point, they should. A smart GM would see this core is flawed and burn it down. A smart owner would realize that and find a GM who can lead a team through a rebuild with no worries about lost revenue.

This new Gm would find a coach who can develop young players like Alex Galchenyuk into top line talent.

We have none of this and will be spinning our wheels in the mud going nowhere for the foreseeable future.

Pathetic.

Last edited:

There wasn't much skill available at the deadline. In fact, there isn't much skills available in the league at all. Which is why I'm not too hard on MB for not being able to acquire one, but which is also why I think trading Subban away was stupid.

There wasn't much skill available at the deadline. In fact, there isn't much skills available in the league at all. Which is why I'm not too hard on MB for not being able to acquire one, but which is also why I think trading Subban away was stupid.

But he's had 5 years

Not because they didn't share your awesome plan. Everybody knows what the Habs need. The character guys on the margin, while way down on the priority list, are a lot easier to tweak.

We had the 2nd worst offence in the NHL in February.

Players like Vanek, Eaves, Vrbata, wouldn't have cost much.

We added 3 forwards with 2 points in 50 games as Habs.

In a series where we took four losses by basically 1 goal (2 ENG), you don't think a little more offence could have helped?

Someone from the current core needs to be moved for a C. It's chess, sometimes you need to sacrifice a major piece.

It's not like he didn't try to sign Shippy last summer. I don't like Bergevin but I'm not going to pretend he believed Pleks-Dano struck fear in the hearts of opposing coaches.

Carey Price finished the series with a .933 save percentage and a 1.86 goals against average.

The UFA argument about Price is pointless, Bishop is also UFA at the end of the year, don't tell me ' The best goalie in the world' according to some here can't land any better than 17-18th over all with ONE MORE YEAR left in contract compare to Bishop!!

Price's value is low due to his pending UFA status.

They may have totally ****ed this up. Or they might yet, given management practices.

I think he'd get a pretty big return, he could turn other (better) teams into instant contenders.

Back