• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Post-Season Thread

What's your suggestion as Emelin can not be a part of this team.

I try a deal in the summer with a year to go , buyout is also an option .

SFB , Emelin , 79 need to replaced but keeping 74 for last year isnt the end of the world if need be .

We need Chevy to come through he will slide everyone down the depth chart a notch .

I know fans want 79 back but gotta move on at some point .

We got Benn at a mil and he was good in the regular season but bad as with every D not named Weber in the playoffs .

Getting a top line Centre has become like getting a franchise QB in the NFL.

While there might be a couple of exceptions, the vast, vast majority are drafted in the first two rounds.

While its not a long term solution, this team really lacks centres at all levels of the organization. You have to use 2, if not all 3 of those picks we have in the first two rounds on Centres.

I'm hoping Nick Suzuki falls to the Habs, but don't think he gets to us. We should take Robert Thomas if he's available at our spot. Gotta grab some centres in the second round like Anderson-Dolan, Davidsson, Chemlevski, Mathios, etc...

That doesn't solve the short term issue, and a stop gap will need to be acquired, but you really have to focus on drafting for the centre position.

Yes, guys will still bust, or end up as bottom liners, or as wingers, but you have to try for the centre.

Since 2003 (Timmins hired), we've only gone for a first round centre three times... Chucky, Leblanc, Chipchura, and in the second round a few more times... Maxwell, Urquhart, Lapierre, DLR. (McCarron was drafted as a winger, no one knew he would turn out a centre when drafted. He had never played C before getting to London).

Thats part of the issue, simply not enough Centres drafted with high picks.

Last edited:

No way I'd keep Emelin for another year. I'd rather markov on a 1 year deal at around 4-4.5 playing PP and 3rd pairing minutes. Again that's my opinion.

I would also be hitting Tampa bays phones right now about their glut of RFA that they can't possible afford to keep all.

Habs should target Karl Alzner for D. I don't think Washington will be re-signing him.

Chevy-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Markov-Benn

This way if Chevy needs less ice time. Alzner can step up and play with Weber

The issue is Petry himself is a mess.

No way I'd keep Emelin for another year. I'd rather markov on a 1 year deal at around 4-4.5 playing PP and 3rd pairing minutes. Again that's my opinion.

I would also be hitting Tampa bays phones right now about their glut of RFA that they can't possible afford to keep all.

After ditching Filpulla and Bishop, they probably can afford to keep them all. If they want another top 3 defenceman (as has been rumored), they might have to let one go. But they could chose to keep them all.

TB is a target no doubt but I dont want Stevy bending over Bergy which I fear . He isnt done purging and expect a Kilhorn or TJ moving on as Brayden Point looked pretty go last year .

Put it this way , I have way more faith their GM and staff navigating that ship than us.

They have solid kids as witnessed on Team Canada . He got great value for Bishop ,etc....

While there might be a couple of exceptions, the vast, vast majority are drafted in the first two rounds.

While its not a long term solution, this team really lacks centres at all levels of the organization. You have to use 2, if not all 3 of those picks we have in the first two rounds on Centres.

I'm hoping Nick Suzuki falls to the Habs, but don't think he gets to us. We should take Robert Thomas if he's available at our spot. Gotta grab some centres in the second round like Anderson-Dolan, Davidsson, Chemlevski, Mathios, etc...

That doesn't solve the short term issue, and a stop gap will need to be acquired, but you really have to focus on drafting for the centre position.

Yes, guys will still bust, or end up as bottom liners, or as wingers, but you have to try for the centre.

Since 2003 (Timmins hired), we've only gone for a first round centre three times... Chucky, Leblanc, Chipchura, and in the second round a few more times... Maxwell, Urquhart, Lapierre, DLR. (McCarron was drafted as a winger, no one knew he would turn out a centre when drafted. He had never played C before getting to London).

This is what makes the Shaw deal hard to swallow

Two 2nd rounders for Shaw still bugs me.

Either MB could have used the two picksor packaged them to get a late first and try and get a center

The Canadiens need to fix things up front. Adding Sergachev and possibly Juulsen next season is enough on the back end. The money needs to be spent on the forward group. All of it.

Agreed Ben but lets keep our 2 seconds FFS and keep drafting centers .

Brief, the situation is worrying me, team is getting old, not any depth in farm team, we suck at center, no real goal scorer of over 20-25 + other than Max, and Chucky and hopefully Lehkonen. Not sure Gally can be back to what he was before and Byron repeat what he did. So first of all they need to bring back Radulov, yes it will cost big money but no choice, then absolutely get another 20-25 goal scorer and find a fcuking way to land a quality center, i mean how we started playoff with Dano as our top pivot still gives me headache.

Last edited:

I still think if we can dump Emelin and trade SFB for picks or prospect Center. Wonder if Philly would be interested in a Beaulieu + for Couturier swap?????

Then spending a little on Alzner really solidifies the back end. But only if it doesn't hurt our changes of adding up front.

Dump pleks contract to Vegas somehow.

Let the young kids play the 4th line.

This is what makes the Shaw deal hard to swallow

Two 2nd rounders for Shaw still bugs me.

Either MB could have used the two picksor packaged them to get a late first and try and get a center

A late first could have got you Sam Steel, who had an outstanding post-draft season. Anaheim took him with the pick they got from the Leafs (originally Pittsburgh's pick via Kessel trade), for Andersen. Tage Thompson (solid freshman at UConn), Trent Frederic (Bruins pick most considered a reach, but had a decent season), and Brett Howden (good year for Moose Jaw, Tampa pick) also went late first.

The Blackhawks took Alex DeBrincat and Chad Crys with our picks. Centres available included Jonathan Dahlen, Janne Kuokkanen, and Dylan Dube.

Yes what is the point of whole developement shit if you are not even able to develop 4th liners from your own core. DLR looks much better so i guess next season he may starts with us.

By now from look of it, King, Martinsen, Ott, Flynn, Plekanec, Nesterov are gone.

Probably Emelin and NB and Mitchell also.

The Canadiens need to fix things up front. Adding Sergachev and possibly Juulsen next season is enough on the back end. The money needs to be spent on the forward group. All of it.

Yes.

I don't mind another cheap bottom pair defenceman if we need a body but the defence should be Weber, Markov, Petry, Benn, Sergachev, Davidson, and a depth add. I assume Beaulieu is getting traded and we should move Emelin to free up cap space.

Back