• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Weber situation

Weber was by far our best d-man in the series. Rangers did next to nothing when he was on the ice. We couldn't score and our centers suck. That's why we lost, not Weber. He'll be good for 5 more seasons. Very smart player.

Chara at 40 is still a top 3-4 worst case on every team in this league , no issues with 6

Although he didn't do much offensively 5 on 5 all year and in the playoffs, Weber was decent in the 6 games.

Our main issue with him is his contract combined with his age.

Expecting him to be an outlier like Chara is possible, but it's a bad bet to make.

The "But, but, but Chara" argument doesn't really hold water. Chara (and few others like Lindstrom) is a unique situations.

Last edited:
What does that mean?
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/06/examining-salary-cap-recapture-in-the-shea-weber-trade.html
Should Weber retire at any point prior to the conclusion of his contract in 2025-26, the Predators would subsequently be imposed a cap recapture penalty equivalent to that amount ($24,571,428) divided by the number of years remaining on the contract. If Weber were to retire with just 1 season left on his deal, they would have to take the entire $24+M penalty in 2025-26. If he were to retire with, say, four years remaining though, that total would be divided by 4, resulting in a cap recapture penalty of $6,142,857 in each of those years up until the conclusion of 2025-26.

I assume that means only they pay his cap hit if he retires early, not us? We that's good for the future. Doesn't help us much in 2 or 3 years from now though. I just don't see him as a major offensive contributor anymore, considering this was his worst year since 2010 (7 Years ago).

We shall see.

ZERO cap hit for Mtl when he retires at anytime prior to 2025-2026 end of contract, with up to $24M in cap hit on the Preds

Thats not exactly accurate.

Montreal could have cap charges (relatively small but over a long term) if he retires in the next three years.

This is a chart showing who owes what if he retires each year and for how many years.

http://mynhltraderumors.com/media-thoughts-subban-weber-trade/2016/06/30/weber-recapture/

Although he didn't do much offensively 5 on 5 all year and in the playoffs, Weber was decent in the 6 games.

Our main issue with him is his contract combined with his age.

Expecting him to be an outlier like Chara is possible, but it's a bad bet to make.

The "But, but, but Chara" argument doesn't really hold water. Chara (and few others like Lindstrom) is a unique situations.

And Pronger . . . and Markov . . . and several others. Weber is a very smart and efficient player. I think he'll be very good well into his mid-30's.

Pronger, Chelios and Chara are the only "physical" type defenceman who played at a high level into their late 30s. The other guys who played a long time were more the Markov, Lidstrom, Leetch, Rafalski, puck-moving types.

Guys like Adam Foote, Derian Hatcher, Sheldon Souray, and other physical type d-men... they fell off a cliff when they reached mid-30s. Scott stevens kept playing but lost all offence.

And Pronger . . . and Markov . . . and several others. Weber is a very smart and efficient player. I think he'll be very good well into his mid-30's.

Hell one could argue Markov was our best dman this year or at worst 1B. Granted he is 38 but missed almost what 3 years with injury so he is not as "old" as he appears, but your point is bang on. I still think the trade was silly but Weber was not a problem this year.

Pronger, Chelios and Chara are the only "physical" type defenceman who played at a high level into their late 30s. The other guys who played a long time were more the Markov, Lidstrom, Leetch, Rafalski, puck-moving types.

Guys like Adam Foote, Derian Hatcher, and other physical type d-men... they fell off a cliff when they reached mid-30s.

I don't see Weber falling off a cliff. And he's really not that physical anymore. He's very efficient.

Last edited:
Hell one could argue Markov was our best dman this year or at worst 1B. Granted he is 38 but missed almost what 3 years with injury so he is not as "old" as he appears, but your point is bang on. I still think the trade was silly but Weber was not a problem this year.

It probably was silly but to argue that Weber is a "problem" going forward anytime soon is just asinine.

Weber is a smart defender and much like chara it will allow him to remain very dependable in his late 30's

Granted he may not score his usual 15-20 each year and get 45-50 points he'll still be a good defender to pair with a young up and coming dman

I dunno about that dude. Weber is coming off his worst year offensively since 2009/2010 and Price will be making sh!tloads after next season. The regression has already started.

Worse year offensively is relative to the team....weber had the 4rth most goals on the team

We have two guys score over 20 goals...one of them was on waivers two years ago.

We have no center that scored over 45 points.

There was no regression, he had a very good year.

He played with crappy Emelin for 3/4 of the year he was carrying that horrible dman, you talk about players that help their teammates be better and he's one of them.

If you're talking regression offensively take into account that this whole team was bad offensively.

Last edited:
Back