• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Offseason 2018

Not really, no. Between Crosby & McDavid, where did you hear people throw around the label of generational player around? I never heard it. Nobody was calling Ekblad, Hedman, Johnson, Larson, Jones, etc. generational players.

Agreed . The only generational names I have heard in the last 30 plus years are Mario handing the torch to Sid and handing it off to CMD .

I think Dahlin is a legit a 1D in time but not transcending

The hype is incredible.....last time someone was this hyped it was in 2005 with Crosby....before that it was Lindros......
mcdavid obviously

JT was hyped this much...probably more

The hype around Dahlin has become so incredibly ridiculous. The way they talk about him, you'd think he was the Swedish Bobby Orr. I don't think he is by any stretch.

People look at Dahlin's great positives and ignore all of his shortcomings. It's utterly bizarre.

No mention of him being tired at the end of the season, no mention of him not having good playoffs, no mention of him being basically Sweden's 8th d-man during the Olympics?

All this? For a "generational" player? Please.

You mean Lidstrom?

Not really, no. Between Crosby & McDavid, where did you hear people throw around the label of generational player around? I never heard it. Nobody was calling Ekblad, Hedman, Johnson, Larson, Jones, etc. generational players.

JT but he was a bust

You mean Lidstrom?

Nein. Lidstrom with better wheels and more offensive talent, hence the Lidstrom and Karlsson mix.

Seriously, I read someone credible call him that. It's insane.

There are three players in my lifetime that I know for a fact had real, legitimate hype as generational talents. Two of which I followed. Eric Lindros, Sidney Crosby & Connor McDavid.

What did they all have in common? Among other things, they were the best players in Junior hockey at 16 and they all looked like they could have been in the NHL at that age without looking out of place.

Maybe I am out of the loop here, but I don't recall Dahlin being called a "generational player."

I recall hearing him being called a "generational d-man."

They called him a franchise player, never heard generational.

I will grant you there was similar hype around him as there is abotu Dahlin.

when he was 16 ppl were calling for him to be crosby
but you are right by his draft year that had stopped

There are three players in my lifetime that I know for a fact had real, legitimate hype as generational talents. Two of which I followed. Eric Lindros, Sidney Crosby & Connor McDavid.

What did they all have in common? Among other things, they were the best players in Junior hockey at 16 and they all looked like they could have been in the NHL at that age without looking out of place.

all forwards

dont be positionist :p

Dahlin has all the physical tools, thats what experts are probably referring too. In baseball you say 5 tool player, Dahlin is the equivalent. But it seems like he is going to take time some time to develop like Hedman. Seems like he needs to work on his stamina mostly, not unusual for young kids.

I definitely heard generational being thrown around for Tavares. And there was quite a bit of hype around Hedman as well.

I always considered myself pretty bullish on Dahlin and I'd put him in the Matthews, Stamkos, Kane, JT tier of #1 picks when you look at what they were pre draft. So a tier up from the Hall, Ekblad, Mackinnon group and a tier down from the Crosby, Ovy, McJesus group.

Franchise yes, generational no. I don't think the league has seen a truly generational defender in a while. Pronger maybe. If not him then Lidstrom definitely.

I definitely heard generational being thrown around for Tavares. And there was quite a bit of hype around Hedman as well.

If memory serves, the generational tag was being hung on him at 16 (2 ppg will do that), but had quietly ****ed off by his pre draft season where people were starting to (rightly) question his skating. If he was a plus skater, he probably would have been generational.

If memory serves, the generational tag was being hung on him at 16 (2 ppg will do that), but had quietly ****ed off by his pre draft season where people were starting to (rightly) question his skating. If he was a plus skater, he probably would have been generational.

Bang on assessment , his wheels were his only main issue. I remember some questioning his motor and work ethic without the puck.

all forwards

dont be positionist :p

There's a reason for that.

Defensemen are not "generational" at 17 or 18. There are no such thing as defensemen who are that good that young. It's a much, much harder position to play.

Back