Page 262 of 262 FirstFirst ... 162212252260261262
Results 5,221 to 5,229 of 5229

Thread: Around the League - Offseason 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Around the League - Offseason 2018

Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    That wasnt cap reasons , we had the same deal .

He took the tax savings of Dallas where we needed to be a closer to 8 mil
    Well, without a cap we would have been able to offer more. Cap management caused us to play it tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountofMonteCristo View Post
    we didn't lose him for cap problems, we lost him because of Bergevinian hubris problems which might be crap reasons.

The next CBA should give the Canadian based teams a higher cap to offset the no tax jurisdictions.
    American markets have the same problem. Especially those like New York and Chicago that have pretty hefty local income taxes on top of State taxes.

Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    American markets have the same problem. Especially those like New York and Chicago that have pretty hefty local income taxes on top of State taxes.
    but they have a built in advantage over us in that their revenue is in American dollars and their pay is in American. Our revenue is in CDN dollars which is at .76 of the US dollar.

either way it is crap that if you get the same salary in Montreal and Toronto as Dallas or Tampa, you get about 20% less.
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountofMonteCristo View Post
    but they have a built in advantage over us in that their revenue is in American dollars and their pay is in American. Our revenue is in CDN dollars which is at .76 of the US dollar.

either way it is crap that if you get the same salary in Montreal and Toronto as Dallas or Tampa, you get about 20% less.
    Sure. I mean, that fluctuates daily and is somewhat accounted for in the CBA cap equation, but I'm not sure how you avoid currency issues when you've got more than one country in play. It's not like you can do a daily index or anything ... not reasonably anyway. The accountants would commit mass suicide. The local and state/province tax issue could easily be addressed in the next CBA. You could adjust the team cap figure to account for those differences, and I'd think there's enough teams that would benefit to outweigh those in Florida, Nevada and Texas who don't. By the same token, I'm not sure it's really providing a long term benefit in terms of results. Otherwise the Florida (zero state income tax and easily avoidable local taxes) and Texas (VERY high earner friendly tax codes largely written to protect oil interests) teams would have some sort of clear advantage in signing free agents. If that's ever been the case, it's only been in isolated cases.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    Sure. I mean, that fluctuates daily and is somewhat accounted for in the CBA cap equation, but I'm not sure how you avoid currency issues when you've got more than one country in play. It's not like you can do a daily index or anything ... not reasonably anyway. The accountants would commit mass suicide. The local and state/province tax issue could easily be addressed in the next CBA. You could adjust the team cap figure to account for those differences, and I'd think there's enough teams that would benefit to outweigh those in Florida, Nevada and Texas who don't. By the same token, I'm not sure it's really providing a long term benefit in terms of results. Otherwise the Florida (zero state income tax and easily avoidable local taxes) and Texas (VERY high earner friendly tax codes largely written to protect oil interests) teams would have some sort of clear advantage in signing free agents. If that's ever been the case, it's only been in isolated cases.
    Millionaires will find a way to survive .....poor them

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/ca...on/c-299612014

And here we thought Bergevin was the only guy to overspend on "character" players.
    habsinsideout1 Dave Stubbs
    @exit716 Your Twitter avatar features the world's happiest dog, I swear
    Nov 23, 9:13 PM via TweetDeck

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely guaranteed to blow up in their face. They probably already regret the contract as soon as right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Skjei gets 6 x $5.25m... that's a much better deal than the Wilson deal.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    Absolutely guaranteed to blow up in their face. They probably already regret the contract as soon as right now.
    Not enamoured with the deal but it's not as worse as Lucic , Ladd , Alzner , Ericsson or Seebrook signings .

Those were day 1 guarantee disasters. Caps won the cup and Wilson with 15 points played a solid role and that equals a contract bonus.

He got nearly 40 points last year and that's close to top 6 production in this league now .

I wouldn't be surprised if he scores 20-25 goals next year . He is it , physical and is one nasty SOB

Write offs are getting 3- 4 mil these days .

Page 262 of 262 FirstFirst ... 162212252260261262