• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Offseason 2018

I hear this all the time "sell at high", who was the last asset sold at peak value? McDonagh? And was that really a high price? Maybe Jeff Carter? But he was what 26 at the start of a longterm deal?

Honestly, I can't recall, because when players in the NHL are at peak value, teams keep them because it usually coincides with the team trying to make the playoffs / make some noise in the playoffs.

Gretzky :p
Messier :p
Gilmour :p

Gomez was traded at peak value....

Subban/Weber
Hall
Hossa/Heatley
Johansen/Jones

Luongo
Halak

Around the League - Offseason 2018

Gretzky [emoji14]
Messier [emoji14]
Gilmour [emoji14]

Gomez was traded at peak value....

Subban/Weber
Hall
Hossa/Heatley
Johansen/Jones

Luongo
Halak
How many of those (really in the cap era when trades have reduced dramatically) were traded after a peak season performance-wise?

Hall & Johansen were coming off not very good seasons, and wasn’t Johansen holding out or had to be coerced to join the team promising he’d be dealt. Does that really qualify as peak value? Do agree they were devalued assets and good on the acquiring teams recognizing so.

Subban (who was also coming off a poor season for him), was essentially a non-hockey performance related trade.

Two years ago Max was coming off his standard 35+ season in comparison.

How many of those (really in the cap era when trades have reduced dramatically) were traded after a peak season performance-wise?

Hall & Johansen were coming off not very good seasons, and wasn’t Johansen holding out or had to be coerced to join the team promising he’d be dealt. Does that really qualify as peak value? Do agree they were devalued assets and good on the acquiring teams recognizing so.

Subban (who was also coming off a poor season for him), was essentially a non-hockey performance related trade.

Two years ago Max was coming off his standard 35+ season in comparison.

RJ was coming off an injury season but it was not really a down season

Subban was actually probably coming off his best season (though he was hurt for a bunch of games) overall.
Side note - funny that people thought he would score all these points when he got to the high flyer preds but he 11 points less (in 2 less games) that his season in montreal

Note that I would not have traded MaxPac two years ago anyway

I know it is a goalie so it is a bit different but trading Halak was at his peak and risky. I was nervous about that at the time but that was a ballsy move that proved to be correct.

Right now wingers are the teams strength...if somebody is overvaluing Gallagher I would trade him for a young C or D.

Elliotte Friedman:
There is word today that Artemi Panarin has told CBJ that he is not ready to consider an extension “at this time.” (UFA July 2019.) As a result, the Blue Jackets are testing the market for him.

Always liked Panarin. I’d trade Pacioretty for him if he extends.

I’d be willing to give up one of our 4ths this year with Pacioretty but not much more. Pacioretty does have value.

My thinking is Panarin doesn’t like Tortorella. They’ll need to move him if so.

They both become free agents at the same time. And Panarin is better and younger. The question is what do you have to add.
A conditional 2nd rounder

Perhaps CBJ is more convinced they can extend Max vs thinking Habs can’t extend Panarin.

you guys know Panarin is awesome....right?

no way CBJ does that trade straight up

now if max was extended and then traded for panarin..... 26 year old PPG panarin

now if max was extended and then traded for panarin..... 26 year old PPG panarin
I’m not giving up much for 1-year of Panarin on the hope he’ll extend.

I’m on my phone, can anyone get the last 3 year spreads on the two players and post pls.

I’m on my phone, can anyone get the last 3 year spreads on the two players and post pls.

2015-16 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 80 30 47 77
2016-17 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 82 31 43 74
2017-18 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 81 27 55 82

2015-16 Montreal Canadiens NHL 82 30 34 64
2016-17 Montreal Canadiens NHL 81 35 32 67
2017-18 Montreal Canadiens NHL 64 17 20 37

Ok maybe I’d give up our last second rounder. Those are good numbers.

Back