• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

McGuire announced he has stage 1 prostate cancer.

That crap is a plague among us men. My father was diagnosed nearly 20 years ago and will probably die of something else (he's 90), but man, what a torment, treatments,psychological impacts,etc.

Last edited:

They say that if you live long enough you are guaranteed to get prostate cancer (men only of course) but often you die from something else before it gets you. Man wasn't designed to spend so much of his life sitting on his keester apparently.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

His job is hard,,,

No.... your every day job is hard.....his, not too sure....a computer could have done our drafts through the years, and if we would have kept the statu quo with our top players, we would be in much better shape now (Radulov, Markov, Subban, Sergachev)

The decision to not protect Emelin was because they had Benn, and we went and got Alzner.....I would have preferred to keep Emelin and not have Benn/Alzner.

Like I said, if you go back and read what the majority of fans/posters wrote on this board, and do those moves, we are in much better shape now....but what do we know, we are only fans, and Bergy is a hockey person, who knows more than us, and his job is hard....

I dunno man. Benn has received some serious love around here in the recent past.

Last edited:

And Emelin didn't get much. There wasn't much protest around here when Emelin was left unprotected and then selected. I think there was more desire to see Beaulieu protected instead of Benn.

They say that if you live long enough you are guaranteed to get prostate cancer (men only of course) but often you die from something else before it gets you. Man wasn't designed to spend so much of his life sitting on his keester apparently.

I read a study once where they looked at autopsies of men over 70 (who died of something else) and about 33% of caucasian men had the cancer. The rate was even higher with African Americans-- about 50%.

Now they can screen it earlier with PSA, but that brings it's own dilemma - do you go through all the disruptive surgery/chemo for something that may never grow fast enough to kill you?

I read a study once where they looked at autopsies of men over 70 (who died of something else) and about 33% of caucasian men had the cancer. The rate was even higher with African Americans-- about 50%.

Now they can screen it earlier with PSA, but that brings it's own dilemma - do you go through all the disruptive surgery/chemo for something that may never grow fast enough to kill you?

As long as you can piss normally, you are probably OK ;)

No.... your every day job is hard.....his, not too sure....a computer could have done our drafts through the years, and if we would have kept the statu quo with our top players, we would be in much better shape now (Radulov, Markov, Subban, Sergachev)

The decision to not protect Emelin was because they had Benn, and we went and got Alzner.....I would have preferred to keep Emelin and not have Benn/Alzner.

Like I said, if you go back and read what the majority of fans/posters wrote on this board, and do those moves, we are in much better shape now....but what do we know, we are only fans, and Bergy is a hockey person, who knows more than us, and his job is hard....

I think it's easy to say now. Emelin last year was far from playing great, he was even sent to the press box a few games. Benn on the other end was playing amazing hockey and cost a fraction of Emelin's salary. Everyone would have done the same and not protect Emelin. Worst case, for salary cap reason only, it was a sound decision. If Emelin was still playing here, you would all be bitching about him just like last year. Players are always shit here and look amazing elsewhere when you don't follow them as much.

I was one of the few here that actually liked Emelin (I think Habsy was another) and I understood not protecting him. The cap saving alone was worth it going in the off-season but I didn't know at the time that we would have 8M in cap space this season.

I think it's easy to say now. Emelin last year was far from playing great, he was even sent to the press box a few games. Benn on the other end was playing amazing hockey and cost a fraction of Emelin's salary. Everyone would have done the same and not protect Emelin. Worst case, for salary cap reason only, it was a sound decision. If Emelin was still playing here, you would all be bitching about him just like last year. Players are always shit here and look amazing elsewhere when you don't follow them as much.

I hear what you're saying, but Been has never played amazing hockey. That's a little dramatic.

With that said; Emelin obviously benefits from playing with Subban.

Last edited:

The Ducks have signed Andrew Cogliano to a three-year, $9.75 million extension... $3.25M AAV.

He currently has a $3.0M AAV.

I was one of the few here that actually liked Emelin (I think Habsy was another) and I understood not protecting him. The cap saving alone was worth it going in the off-season but I didn't know at the time that we would have 8M in cap space this season.

who needs Emelin when you can overpay for Alzner instead?

Back