• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2018

They arent perfect but still young enough with a solid cap and assets to help fix their needs .

I trust Lou and company to make the adjustments better than our clowns in charge.

Yeah people forget Nylander and Matthews are only 21 and 20. Marner is only 20.

Anyway, with playoff disappointments or in some case teams not making the playoffs like Blues, Dallas, Chicago , there comes opportunity.

Leafs could use a Dman like Weber? Seguin , Kopitar , Getzlaf need a change of scenery? Lets see what MB is capable of.

Anyway, with playoff disappointments or in some case teams not making the playoffs like Blues, Dallas, Chicago , there comes opportunity.

Leafs could use a Dman like Weber? Seguin , Kopitar , Getzlaf need a change of scenery? Lets see what MB is capable of.

I'd rather not.

Yeah people forget Nylander and Matthews are only 21 and 20. Marner is only 20.

No one forgets this. You can easily google their names and ages.

And, yes - they are young, but they are vets now, and will be moreso next season. If they get bounced in the 1st round next year, i'm not sure you can use the "young and inexperienced" excuse anymore.

MB has already been the Habs GM for 6 years. We know what he's capable of.

No one forgets this. You can easily google their names and ages.

And, yes - they are young, but they are vets now, and will be moreso next season. If they get bounced in the 1st round next year, i'm not sure you can use the "young and inexperienced" excuse anymore.

No but you can count on them being around for ~ 15 years to try and try again until they get it right.

Around the League - Playoffs 2018

FWIW - Sergio Momesso was on TSN690 at lunch time the other day and said he “knows” the org will be overhauling their philosophy re: defensive approach to more offensive/attack oriented. Momesso didn’t want to say he’s got inside info and danced around how h knows when asked.

Now whether the team/org has the right players to play such a system and if they’re too late to coming around to the realization is another matter altogether....

The Laffs are in great shape for 5-7 years , I would swap teams in a nano second

until these guys start wanting raises.

They'll also have to spend decent $$ on upgrading their D, and who knows if Freddie is the answer in net. Good season but pretty bad playoffs

Bob McKenzie:
Expectation is head coach Bill Peters will today exercise his option (which expires today) to leave CAR to pursue other coaching opportunities.

until these guys start wanting raises.

They'll also have to spend decent $$ on upgrading their D, and who knows if Freddie is the answer in net. Good season but pretty bad playoffs

I dont see anyone in this league in better shape than TO for the next 5 years from an overall team look .

When they resign their big 3 plus having Kadri , Reily , and Freddie locked up for years their core is young with no issue of decline .

They will have enough cap to keep this group intact , and keep adding those good ELC players they have .

They dont have any cumbersome no move clauses affecting them that prevent any transactions to make.

If they want to make any serious changes in 2 years their players are worth gold .

When you have that kind of roster flexibility your in charge of your actions .

Around the League - Playoffs 2018

I dont see anyone in this league in better shape than TO for the next 5 years from an overall team look .

When they resign their big 3 plus having Kadri , Reily , and Freddie locked up for years their core is young with no issue of decline .

They will have enough cap to keep this group intact , and keep adding those good ELC players they have .

They dont have any cumbersome no move clauses affecting them that prevent any transactions to make.

If they want to make any serious changes in 2 years their players are worth gold .

So what happens after the Leafs cough up $12M-$14M on Doughty long term with NMC? Which would coincide with Mathews re-upping to a McDavid’ish contract.

Last edited:

Bob McKenzie:
Expectation is head coach Bill Peters will today exercise his option (which expires today) to leave CAR to pursue other coaching opportunities.

Must have a deal in place to coach in Calgary or Dallas, otherwise 1.6 M to leave on the table is alot.

Their big 3 are going to cost them close to 30 mill. Adding those good ELC contracts, those guys will need raises too.

Of course they're in great shape, but I disagree that they have a 5 to 7 year window. No team has that long. Windows are closer to 3 to 4 year. Especially when they're going to need massive upgrades on D, plus losing guys like JVR because they can't afford him

FWIW - Sergio Momesso was on TSN690 at lunch time the other day and said he “knows” the org will be overhauling their philosophy re: defensive approach to more offensive/attack oriented. Momesso didn’t want to say he’s got inside info and danced around how h knows when asked.

Now whether the team/org has the right players to play such a system and if they’re too late to coming around to the realization is another matter altogether....

They need more offense from their D for sure, but up front they are an interesting case. They are already a smallish , young, fairly fast group of forwards. And although McGuire said the era of heavy hockey is over, they could use a bit of heavy up front (with combined skill of course).

So what happens after the Leafs cough up $12M-$14M on Doughty long term with NMC? Which would coincide with Mathews re-upping to a McDavid’ish contract.

Doughty isnt going to Toronto . They arent going to go after a soon to be 29 year old big wear and tear D man with a massive deal .

DD is just stirring the pot trying to up his value for next year .

Back