• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

Seattle is my favorite city on the West Coast.

Will be spending time there next summer on my way to New Zealand.
Seattle is a typical non California west coast city. Like Vancouver and Portland, it has an over inflated view of itself.

Is there any point to "California without the good weather?" I doubt it.

Is there a point to anywhere without good weather? Why does Canada even exists? Seems pretty simplistic. There is obviously pros and cons for living everywhere. Some have pros than cons. The main con of Seattle is actually weather. For the rest it's pretty nice out here.

Vancouver constantly compares itself with Seattle but it's wishful thinking on their part. Vancouver is just a bigger version of Portland with more ethnic diversity. Seattle is far more world class than Vancouver but Vancouver has pretensions about being world class just because they hosted Expo 86 and the 2010 Olympics.

Vancouver constantly compares itself with Seattle but it's wishful thinking on their part. Vancouver is just a bigger version of Portland with more ethnic diversity. Seattle is far more world class than Vancouver but Vancouver has pretensions about being world class just because they hosted Expo 86 and the 2010 Olympics.

What is funny is that people in Vancouver think Seattle is a poor man's Vancouver.

I always laugh when people in Vancouver call us world class. Just go to Paris, Vienna, London, SF, NYC and LA and you see world class. Vancouver doesn't fit the bill.

What is funny is that people in Vancouver think Seattle is a poor man's Vancouver.

I always laugh when people in Vancouver call us world class. Just go to Paris, Vienna, London, SF, NYC and LA and you see world class. Vancouver doesn't fit the bill.

Yeah, for me it's always been the other way around: Vancouver is a poor man's Seattle.

You can always tell how not world class a city is by how much they point out to you how world class they are. People in Toronto threw that "world class" label around for years, more in hope than as a statement of fact. Thanks largely to economic and corporate favoritism (and by benefitting from Montreal's economic destruction at the hands of the linguistic zealots) Toronto has finally achieved it's long sought-after world class status. But Vancouver, despite the Winter Olympics (which, let's face it, has more to do with geography than anything else) is still a backwater populated with provincial hicks, aging hippies, wannabe hipsters and Asians who are only here for the real estate deals. It's got decent weather and some nice views but it never was, is not now and likely never will be "world class" in the same sense as the New York's, Paris's and London's of the world.

Portland has grown to be about as big or bigger than Vancouver now.

I also don't feel that Seattle is world class. It's still a small city in my mind.

Yeah, for me it's always been the other way around: Vancouver is a poor man's Seattle.

You can always tell how not world class a city is by how much they point out to you how world class they are. People in Toronto threw that "world class" label around for years, more in hope than as a statement of fact. Thanks largely to economic and corporate favoritism (and by benefitting from Montreal's economic destruction at the hands of the linguistic zealots) Toronto has finally achieved it's long sought-after world class status. But Vancouver, despite the Winter Olympics (which, let's face it, has more to do with geography than anything else) is still a backwater populated with provincial hicks, aging hippies, wannabe hipsters and Asians who are only here for the real estate deals. It's got decent weather and some nice views but it never was, is not now and likely never will be "world class" in the same sense as the New York's, Paris's and London's of the world.
'.
Yeah...Nobody in Toronto uses the term "world class city" now. And envy for New York City is mostly absent.

Last edited:

Portland has grown to be about as big or bigger than Vancouver now.

Traffic wise yes, but not business wise. The downtown in Portland is tiny. I did like the Adidas employee store though. Also, nothing tops Powell's City of Books.

The Flames have signed Mikael Backlund to a six-year, $32.1 million extension... $5.35M AAV.

But it means Sam Bennett could be available, not like the Habs need a 3rd line centre anyway.

We just need to start by getting legitimate centers

Sick of playing wingers as centers...Galchenyuk, Drouin, Hudon, Byron, Shaw

3-0 Canucks. If they get a point tonight vs. Bruins, Canadiens sink to 28th overall. Only one point up on EDM, six up on BUF, seven up on Coyotes.

3-0 Canucks. If they get a point tonight vs. Bruins, Canadiens sink to 28th overall. Only one point up on EDM, six up on BUF, seven up on Coyotes.

This is a nice run they are on, thank god.

Back