• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

Gallagher
Mete (maybe)

Markov, Pleks, etc before that

Habs have generally been able to find decent players in the later rounds.

That's the problem, not recently.

Mete seems to be a good pick.

But man did they blow the 2013 draft when they had 3 picks in the top 36 and selected, McCarron, Fucale, JDR

That's the problem, not recently.

Mete seems to be a good pick.

But man did they blow the 2013 draft when they had 3 picks in the top 36 and selected, McCarron, Fucale, JDR

At least they drafted a first line center in DLR

We had horrible draft positions under MB, which contributed to our poor drafting record. If we looked at the players we missed in the first rounds, we would have needed to be near perfect at the draft to overcome those positions.

2012: We got the 2nd best player in the draft and probably the most significant misses were later in the 3rd round with Gostisbehere and Parayko. Hard to be too upset here.
2013: Theodore, Hartman, Duclair and Guentzel would have been nice additions. I'm more upset at the type of players we drafted here than the players we missed. It wasn't a great draft overall.
2014: Not a great draft either, the most significant player we missed by drafting Scherbak was Brayden Point in the 3rd round. Other than that Kempe looks fine but it's too early to write off Scherbak.
2015: Juulsen looks like he'll be serviceable but we missed on Beauvillier and Aho, but that's about it, no one else after looks anything special either.
2016: Looks like we got the best player at our rank, plus Mete later. This draft is more memorable for the 2 2nd round picks we wasted on Shaw.

Overall we had little to no margin of errors in those draft. Criticisms could be directed at MB for not improving our odds in those drafts.

Do not disagree.
Part of the draft is that we traded away picks and never traded for picks.
Which is on MB.

The year he did get picks was a bad draft year.

I actually think we are going to find another diamond in the rough on the blueline.

Some of our D prospects are outscoring on forward prospects in the CHL.

I actually think we are going to find another diamond in the rough on the blueline.

Josh Brook looks good... read something earlier in the season saying he's one of the Top 8 defencemen in the WHL.

We're on the same page. We seem to have blind luck with goalies and defensemen, not so much with forwards, mostly because we focus on the wrong attributes. When we draft forwards based on skills, we generally have more success but they end up being small. We also had some tough luck with potentially promising prospects in Reway and Bozon.

Do not disagree.
Part of the draft is that we traded away picks and never traded for picks.
Which is on MB.

The year he did get picks was a bad draft year.

while it is self evident that the higher you draft, the greater the chance the player will be good, anyone can draft with a top 5, the real key is to get top 6/top 4 in the first round and we seem to miss more often than not

while it is self evident that the higher you draft, the greater the chance the player will be good, anyone can draft with a top 5, the real key is to get top 6/top 4 in the first round and we seem to miss more often than not

and the times we do get a hit the coach hates him (chuck, subban)

In all MB drafts where we didn't pick top 10, I think Shea Theodore is the only top 6/top 4 player drafted in the first round that we missed. There just isn't much left out there when it's our turn.

Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

The Habs also do a poor job of cutting bait, it was pretty obvious SFB wasn’t going to amount to much 1-year post draft and definitely 2years post draft, during his 1st year in AHL yet, instead of cutting bait & getting some value...tried to keep hope alive....

Can never fall in love with assets, they are simply there to be bartered for improving the asset pool

in 2011 draft, Ducks's scouting goes to Leafs table, propose to trade their 22 pick for Leafs 30 and 39. Leafs management happy from the offer right away accept it, Ducks picks from 30th of leafs Rickard Rakell(Ducks top scorer) and 39(John Gibson), and Leafs get Tyler Biggs with Ducks's 22nd. Biggs never played a single game in NHL.

This is called a ''Plan'' & a ''Vision'' in draft, now imagine for a second, our group of scouting do such a move!!!

in 2011 draft, Ducks's scouting goes to Leafs table, propose to trade their 22 pick for Leafs 30 and 39. Leafs management happy from the offer right away accept it, Ducks picks from 30th of leafs Rickard Rakell(Ducks top scorer) and 39(John Gibson), and Leafs get Tyler Biggs with Ducks's 22nd. Biggs never played a single game in NHL.

This is called a ''Plan'' & a ''Vision'' in draft, now imagine for a second, our group of scouting do such a move!!!

I have no idea what the point of this is

I have no idea what the point of this is

The point is lack of enough conviction and communication between Timmins and MB, in order to start any conversation with any other team to move up or down, your head of scout need to convince your own GM first that he is pretty sure of his picks or have seen enough of them play, something barely happened with Habs.

People blame players development, but i think the main issue is scouting. The people in place need to be replaced.

Last edited:

Scouting is definitely the issue, the GM goes by their evaluations, but they are also the responsibility of the GMs. He hired or kept hiring those guys and no heads have rolled.

Scouting is definitely the issue, the GM goes by their evaluations, but they are also the responsibility of the GMs. He hired or kept hiring those guys and no heads have rolled.

I am actually envious of Toronto.

Not of the year they tanked so hard and on purpose to get Matthews, but how the summer before that season they fired almost every single scout in the org because they were not getting acceptable results.

They cleaned that org out from top to bottom. Because they have standards now and if you don't meet them you hit the road.

Montreal? We ****ing promote these guys. No standards, no accountability, no pride or respect. This org is lucky that Montrealers are gulible, naive, loyal to a fault fans of the CH, because companies that reward mediocrity like this deserve to go under.

That being said player development is also terrible.

I agree, but i mean who could turns much better player? Chukcy? Who else? It is all speculation. We never know. As i have mentioned before we as fans or organisation always have this tenancy to overvalue our picks when was the last time we underestimated a player and bang, he shined?(in consistent base). Maybe Max was the last one or at some extend Gallagher, and how many times, organisation and fans overvalued a player? Too many many times.

Back