• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

I am actually envious of Toronto.

Not of the year they tanked so hard and on purpose to get Matthews, but how the summer before that season they fired almost every single scout in the org because they were not getting acceptable results.

They cleaned that org out from top to bottom. Because they have standards now and if you don't meet them you hit the road.

Montreal? We ****ing promote these guys. No standards, no accountability, no pride or respect. This org is lucky that Montrealers are gulible, naive, loyal to a fault fans of the CH, because companies that reward mediocrity like this deserve to go under.

Yup , but at least they embraced change and the inevitable complete tear down .

They finally stopped kicking that fcken can down the road cause like you said before , " the rebuild will be forced " at some point.

Scouting is definitely the issue, the GM goes by their evaluations, but they are also the responsibility of the GMs. He hired or kept hiring those guys and no heads have rolled.

All pro sports leagues are good ol’ boy networks, but the NHL seems like it’s really tight. It defines the league culture (partly why I think 76 was traded) and they protect each other.

MB will land on his feet somewhere after (if) he gets shitcanned.

The point is lack of enough conviction and communication between Timmins and MB, in order to start any conversation with any other team to move up or down, your head of scout need to convince your own GM first that he is pretty sure of his picks or have seen enough of them play, something barely happened with Habs.

People blame players development, but i think the main issue is scouting. The people in place need to be replaced.

What happens on draft day is unpredictable and trades like that are not usually planned because as a team you have no idea where the players you have on your list will go which is why these trades always happen on the draft floor.

Saying you need a “plan or vision” to pull off trades like that is not possible.

I’m not defending MB and his scouting staff but at this point I just want to see them start drafting better regardless of moving up in the draft at the expense of giving up extra picks.

It’s why I don’t really get the point of the trade example you mentioned....just start drafting better.

Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

A list of 1st round C’s Habs were able to simply draft at their given position without any Einsteinian “plan or vision” from 2003-2013:

Carter
Getzlaf
Bergeron (albeit high 2nd round)
Zajac
Kopitar
Giroux
Coyle
Kuznetsov

Furthermore, only forwards drafted to have accomplished anything in the NHL in the same 10-yr period: Max, Gallagher, Galchenyuk.

“Plan and vision”, communication, conviction etc. has not been the root cause of amateur player procurement failure....inability to properly identify offensive talent has been.

If anything TT trying to be Einstein has been more detrimental to his/orgs success.

Maybe the Habs approach should simple be if they’re out of the top-8, then just open up the Central Scouting guide and pick the highest ranked player available....Habs would’ve performed much better over the same 10-year period with that approach.

Last edited:

What happens on draft day is unpredictable and trades like that are not usually planned because as a team you have no idea where the players you have on your list will go which is why these trades always happen on the draft floor.

Saying you need a “plan or vision” to pull off trades like that is not possible.

I’m not defending MB and his scouting staff but at this point I just want to see them start drafting better regardless of moving up in the draft at the expense of giving up extra picks.

It’s why I don’t really get the point of the trade example you mentioned....just start drafting better.

DK for once have our regime pull off a great draft move . The Tinordi move was a failure . There were plenty of opportunities to get creative .

We failed miserably at cutting bait with players . Tinordi and SFB were clear they weren't developing , so trade early on and get assets or move in the draft .

It's one hot mess after another.

Cutting bait is fine but don't replace said bait with something worse. Letting SFB go is one thing but replacing him with Schlemko and Morrw made it worse.

Cutting bait is fine but don't replace said bait with something worse. Letting SFB go is one thing but replacing him with Schlemko and Morrw made it worse.

Guys like Morrow are perfect types of players to have on your team during a rebuild. It makes sure the team is shitty while the prospects develop.

Jim Johannson of USA hockey - former head coach of USA Jr team & GM of Team USA for upcoming Olympics has passed away.

RIP

I am actually envious of Toronto.

Not of the year they tanked so hard and on purpose to get Matthews, but how the summer before that season they fired almost every single scout in the org because they were not getting acceptable results.

They cleaned that org out from top to bottom. Because they have standards now and if you don't meet them you hit the road.

Montreal? We ****ing promote these guys. No standards, no accountability, no pride or respect. This org is lucky that Montrealers are gulible, naive, loyal to a fault fans of the CH, because companies that reward mediocrity like this deserve to go under.

Accountability is my #1 grief with this management team. There is none. It's a country club.

You sure need a '' Plan'', A,B,C,D, name it as you want, i know players that you want can move earlier and stuffs like this happen. But going toward the end of first round it happens a bit less, plus i have feeling these two names weren't under the radar of lots of teams, of course you have the factor of luck involved, but your head of scout is the guy who need to convince the GM on draft table to make such a move, and most important to be sure about the players(kind of).

I can't say the same thing about Timmins.

Let me guess they're going to net Tavares in the summer ...

My scout buddy was saying the same thing . One thing is for certain he says , with lower taxes , nice weather etc...they will be a clear cut destination for free agents .

JT isn't a limelight guy but Vegas is different than the shit show that comes with media scrutiny in Canadian cities .

The Golden Knights are now first overall in the NHL.

Their success hasn't gotten as much air play as I would have thought. This is an amazing story, regardless of what happens from here on it. And from here on in, it appear their success will continue. I would take great pride in that I may be the only person anywhere who picked them to make the playoffs, except that I picked Arizona to finish higher still. (Hadn't counted on LA getting it together).

I'm not sure what all this says about the gap between random rejected hockey players and those perceived as stars, and the pay gaps that may exist there as well. Does it really make a difference who, for the most part, fills out your roster, or is success due to a bunch of other, extraneous reasons that have nothing to do with who exactly is on the roster? To a point, of course. Vegas will not win the Cup. Or does it say nothing at all?

It all makes the mess Bergevin has created look even sillier.

My scout buddy was saying the same thing . One thing is for certain he says , with lower taxes , nice weather etc...they will be a clear cut destination for free agents .

JT isn't a limelight guy but Vegas is different than the shit show that comes with media scrutiny in Canadian cities .
Friedman did say last season Brent Burns #1 and only choice had he hit UFA was LV...

Their success hasn't gotten as much air play as I would have thought. This is an amazing story, regardless of what happens from here on it. And from here on in, it appear their success will continue. I would take great pride in that I may be the only person anywhere who picked them to make the playoffs, except that I picked Arizona to finish higher still. (Hadn't counted on LA getting it together).

I'm not sure what all this says about the gap between random rejected hockey players and those perceived as stars, and the pay gaps that may exist there as well. Does it really make a difference who, for the most part, fills out your roster, or is success due to a bunch of other, extraneous reasons that have nothing to do with who exactly is on the roster? To a point, of course. Vegas will not win the Cup. Or does it say nothing at all?

It all makes the mess Bergevin has created look even sillier.
In all fairness no previous expansion team ever had access to talent like Fleury, Neal, Theodore, Schmidt, Marchessault etc. along w a guaranteed top-5 pick before ever stepping on the ice.

I agree though LV will become Bettman’s crown jewel of Southern Expansion strategy.

BTW, maybe MB should’ve heeded the advise from his consigliere in the summer of 2016 when Dudley apparently recommended signing Marchessault off the scrap heap....

Last edited:
Back