• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Offseason 2017

I just want someone who can ask MB why the development of prospects have been so bad. Is it the picks or the development, or both, but it can't be neither.

I just want someone who can ask MB why the development of prospects have been so bad. Is it the picks or the development, or both, but it can't be neither.

Both

When you cant daft and even develop third and fourth liners you have a problem.

Last edited:

Man... I wish the Habs pulled this one off:

The Avalanche acquired defenseman Nikita Zadorov, forwards Mikhail Grigorenko and J.T. Compher, and the No. 31 pick in the draft from the Sabres for O'Reilly and forward Jamie McGinn.

He has been a beast in the Worlds. Was solid in the Olympics as well. Seems like the perfect player for this team, 200 ft player who makes his teammates better. Fack.

Man... I wish the Habs pulled this one off:

He has been a beast in the Worlds. Was solid in the Olympics as well. Seems like the perfect player for this team, 200 ft player who makes his teammates better. Fack.

Solid player and we could of topped that offer . People were bitching over his contract when 14 makes a mil less and clowns are making 5 mil in this league.

The ideal 2C and one of the best 200 foot players in the league .

Sevral thought ROR was too slow and overated.

No, not really.

My analysis on him was spot on from day one: Paying $7.5M (which is the exact amount I estimated he'd get) for a guy who is a marginal at best upgrade on Plekanec (at the time) wouldn't be the best idea in terms of using up your cap; giving up actual assets and paying him that contract is a modern form of unintentional tanking.

He's one of the top second line centers in the league but you'll never, ever win anything with him as your #1. Not sure Buffalo will ever win anything while paying him $7.5M, unless they can find some real bargains along the way.

Sevral thought ROR was too slow and overated.

Would rather have a 7.5 ROR than 7.5 combined with Emelin and DD. A slight overpayment for 2 quality players is better than having 4 slugs making 3.5 mil .

actually Bergevin could spin it so that isn't his fault

He drafts good guys (or Timmins takes a bad guy ergo not his fault) but then the player started hanging with a bad crowd, parties too much and hurts his own development. As a result, it is never Bergevin's fault.

actually Bergevin could spin it so that isn't his fault

He drafts good guys (or Timmins takes a bad guy ergo not his fault) but then the player started hanging with a bad crowd, parties too much and hurts his own development. As a result, it is never Bergevin's fault.
That's on the development then and not being able to surround and guide player correctly through their first steps as professional players.

Around the League - Offseason 2017

Yes, the lack of accountability from management is amazing.
To a great extent yes - but if a player is more interested in snorting lines & getting hammered than treating his job as a profession spending the time needed to work extra hard and ironing out deficiencies in his game (acting like a professional) then it's on the player no?

To a great extent yes - but if a player is more interested in snorting lines & getting hammered than treating his job as a profession spending the time needed to work extra hard and ironing out deficiencies in his game (acting like a professional) then it's on the player no?

Other management teams seem to be capable of wrangling talent. Chelios, Roy, PK..... Seguin.

Around the League - Offseason 2017

Other management teams seem to be capable of wrangling talent. Chelios, Roy, PK..... Seguin.
All markets where the hockey players do not have to deal with living under the microscope (I'll exclude Subban because it had nothing to do with nocturnal / extracurricular activities) which is why IMO will be fascinating to watch how the Leafs young players deal with weight of Cdn market expectations & media glare moving forward.

You know... Don Cherry used to do a TV show called GrapeVine. Bar room setting, interviewing players. I would love to see a new version of the show with a guy like Roenick just to see if you could get players and ex-players to actually admit some of the unspoken assumptions we fans make.
[video=youtube;sEJi08_nh-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJi08_nh-k[/video]

[video=youtube;KjEGkIXPZuY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjEGkIXPZuY[/video]

OMG.... 4:16 check the flow on Cap'n Kirk!

All markets where the hockey players do not have to deal with living under the microscope (I'll exclude Subban because it had nothing to do with nocturnal / extracurricular activities) which is why IMO will be fascinating to watch how the Leafs young players deal with weight of Cdn market expectations & media glare moving forward.
If other teams are able to deal with it, surely we can as well. Partying is not unique to Montreal. Plus I think it's way overblown and a poor excuse.

Last edited:
Back