• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

I don't blame Nero for not paying ++ but judging by his press conferences, I'm not sure he has the demeanour to be a master negotiator and convince others they should sign/trade with us.

You mean telling Radulov to take or leave it is not the work of a "master negotiator?" I agree with you, BTW.

Oh look. Toronto down by 2 and find a way to...whats that called...score?

Maybe the habs can learn how to do that.

Oh, and then they score in ot.

Wish we could do that.

Drafting a generational player 1st overall and a couple other very high picks that look like they're panning out really helps.

Back up goalie vs top offensive team in the league. Starting goalie vs worst offensive team in the league the next night. Makes sense.

Back up goalie vs top offensive team in the league. Starting goalie vs worst offensive team in the league the next night. Makes sense.

No point sacrificing your starter versus Toronto at this point.

Save your starter for Montreal and get a easy shutout.

I know it's early but in getting the sense that the habs are going to be doing a lot of looking up at the leafs in the standing this season, and for many years to come, despite what habs53 has been saying.

I know it's early but in getting the sense that the habs are going to be doing a lot of looking up at the leafs in the standing this season, and for many years to come, despite what habs53 has been saying.

Oh yes. Tanking is the only way to go for the Habs.
The Leafs had 44-7 shots in favour for them after the 1st e/s shots against the Hawks.

Habs had two top 10 picks in the past 5 years. They traded Chevy and haven't developed Chucky into a top C. Maybe it's not just where you pick?

Habs had two top 10 picks in the past 5 years. They traded Chevy and haven't developed Chucky into a top C. Maybe it's not just where you pick?
Everyone in the league would trade a 3rd and 9th overall for Matthews. Every time.

Let's not even pretend that a 3rd and 9th are anything remotely close to the Leafs position in that time.

That's not a knock on the Leafs... it's just facts. They got a 100% no brainer pick with Matthews. I think Marner was a no brainer too. Nylander was a great pick. Rielly was a good pick.

AG was a pretty much the consensus pick for the Habs. Sergachev was a good pick and netted the Habs a good young player in Drouin.

The Habs have ****ed a lot of stuff up in the past... forever... but I don't believe that those 2 picks belong on the list.

That said... it would have been nice to take Forsberg... but 10 other teams are saying that too.

Everyone in the league would trade a 3rd and 9th overall for Matthews. Every time.

Let's not even pretend that a 3rd and 9th are anything remotely close to the Leafs position in that time.

That's not a knock on the Leafs... it's just facts. They got a 100% no brainer pick with Matthews. I think Marner was a no brainer too. Nylander was a great pick. Rielly was a good pick.

AG was a pretty much the consensus pick for the Habs. Sergachev was a good pick and netted the Habs a good young player in Drouin.

The Habs have ****ed a lot of stuff up in the past... forever... but I don't believe that those 2 picks belong on the list.

That said... it would have been nice to take Forsberg... but 10 other teams are saying that too.
I guess what I'm saying is the Habs didn't develop Chucky properly and declined to develop Chevy because they didn't develop Chucky. The problem is lack of interest and ability in development.

And notice I didn't say the picks by the Habs were bad, they weren't. But Chucky has been bounced around all over the lineup and hasn't turned into what he was projected to be. Chevy they dumped off for a pretty good winger. Now they really need an offensive D. MB is an expert at shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Last edited:

But even a "developed" Chucky is nothing like a Matthews.

Bottom line is... it's almost impossible to become a great team in this league without landing a great player or two at the top of the draft.

You gotta be bad for awhile... and at the right time.

There's an element of truth there. But even the Penguins "only" won one cup with two generational centres because their developmental system was shit. Once they started developing stuff themselves they started winning again. The Hawks won multiple cups because they churned out players to play with Toews and Kane and Keith. The Leafs won't win shit if they don't do the same, even with Matthews and Nylander and Marner.

Kings, Devils, Bruins and Red Wings never really tanked either and won, so yeah it's possible to do it other ways.

Last edited:

What those teams all have in common is that they drafted most of their core of players, including their #1 centers. Kings drafted Kopitar, traded for Richards & Carter. Devils drafted Gomez & Sykora, traded for Arnott. Bruins drafted Bergeron, Krejci & Seguin. Red Wings drafted Datsyuk, Filpulla & Hudler.

It's nigh impossible to get a #1 center in the draft without a lottery pick and teams are almost forced to tank in hopes of getting one. We got one, but decided to train him to be a winger. **** me.

You need that elite centre and drafting one at the top of the draft is the best way... not the only way... but the best way to get one.

Again, not a knock on the Leafs... at least now they have what looks like a team that could challenge for a Cup in the near future. If they don't get Matthews... we're not saying that.

Think it's kind of revisionist history to say Marner was a complete no brainer though. Arizona didn't agree nor did the many people who questioned whether we should have taken Hanifin.

There's an element of truth there. But even the Penguins "only" won one cup with two generational centres because their developmental system was shit. Once they started developing stuff themselves they started winning again. The Hawks won multiple cups because they churned out players to play with Toews and Kane and Keith. The Leafs won't win shit if they don't do the same, even with Matthews and Nylander and Marner.

Kings, Devils, Bruins and Red Wings never really tanked either and won, so yeah it's possible to do it other ways.

I used to look at the red wings and think, look, a team that makes the playoffs every year and win the odd cup once in a while. But then something happened after their last finals appearance.

They continue to make the playoffs but never got anywhere near the cup. They would make the postseason and never be good enough to go deep. And then, after a while, the wheels completely fell off.

I feel like the habs are very much like those red wings teams after that finals series versus Pittsburgh. Good enough to make the playoffs, nowhere close to winning the cup, getting older until the wheels fall off.

Not revisionist at all for me to say "I think" it was a no brainer. I had him at #3... and I didn't think Strome was even close.

He was 2nd in the OHL in scoring... and didn't play with McDavid.

Anyway... they actually could have "blew it" and taken Hanifin, Provorov, Rantanen or Werenski and been in pretty good shape. That was a great draft to have a top pick. But they did snag a gem. I'm definitely jealous.

*edit* I guess "no brainer" is the wrong term. I think they made the smart pick... that should have been consensus imo.

Hey, I mean, I'm with you in that *I personally* thought it was a no brainer. But sure wasn't a consensus pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to look at the red wings and think, look, a team that makes the playoffs every year and win the odd cup once in a while. But then something happened after their last finals appearance.

They continue to make the playoffs but never got anywhere near the cup. They would make the postseason and never be good enough to go deep. And then, after a while, the wheels completely fell off.

I feel like the habs are very much like those red wings teams after that finals series versus Pittsburgh. Good enough to make the playoffs, nowhere close to winning the cup, getting older until the wheels fall off.

They lucked out with Dats, Zets and Lidstrom at the draft , plus they were a master of scouting Europe with Holmstrom, Franzen and Kronwall .

Bruins developed most of their core in the second round and won a cup . It's possible without lottery picks but much harder .

Bottom line we have done fck all since 2008 , no need for an explanation why we stink .

And yes year by year it will get worse as others get better we keep treading water til one day we are Detroit.

Back