• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2018

That’s a helluva commitment, Krust. But, if it’s truly a good experience then that’s great.

I don’t think there are any “cheap” sports if it gets competitive... the coaches, camps, travel...

My kids are younger, so we’re only just dabbling in competitive sports. Not sure we’re cut out for it yet. The time commitment is significant.

Correct, there are no cheap competitive sports at a reasonably good level. It’s a $15 Billion annual industry, and it’s priced out families that can’t afford it, which is unfortunate. Those kids are doomed to playing in house leagues.

That’s a helluva commitment, Krust. But, if it’s truly a good experience then that’s great.

I don’t think there are any “cheap” sports if it gets competitive... the coaches, camps, travel...

My kids are younger, so we’re only just dabbling in competitive sports. Not sure we’re cut out for it yet. The time commitment is significant.

Correct, there are no cheap competitive sports at a reasonably good level. It’s a $15 Billion annual industry, and it’s priced out families that can’t afford it, which is unfortunate. Those kids are doomed to playing in house leagues.

I was reading that Lacrosse was getting competitive because it's one way to earn a partial scholarship to an Ivy League school.

Yeah, there are some big time lacrosse development academies.

Count is right, kitting up a kid for soccer is cheaper than other sports. But still, at intro age competitive mini-soccer you’re easily into 4 digits and a serious time commitment. And, a little later on, if the kid is good enough to be in an academy then costs multiply by 4 to 5 X.

Last edited:

I was reading that Lacrosse was getting competitive because it's one way to earn a partial scholarship to an Ivy League school.

Not just Ivy League my nephew has a full ride lacrosse scholarship. Sure it’s not Ivy League but it’s a division 1 college you’ve all heard of.

Yeah, there are some big time lacrosse development academies.

Count is right, kitting up a kid for soccer is cheaper than other sports. But still, at intro age competitive mini-soccer you’re easily into 4 digits and a serious time commitment. And, a little later on, if the kid is good enough to be in an academy then costs multiply by 4 to 5 X.

You’re forgetting travel teams. It adds up.

Well, we’re with a “travel team”, it’s just that they are the youngest age group and there are restrictions on travel. But, yes, if we’re still with the travel team in a few years, costs will zoom up as well.

Not just Ivy League my nephew has a full ride lacrosse scholarship. Sure it’s not Ivy League but it’s a division 1 college you’ve all heard of.

Nice!

I live in the epicenter of the Lacrosse world in the U.S., and it’s about 100 times bigger than hockey here as far as number of kids who play. So boring to watch, however. Problem with hockey is that only 60 D-1 schools play, and only D-1 schools give sports scholarships. Only 2 percent of D-1 students are on athletic scholarships.

Here's the thing.

Every sport gets expensive when it's played at a competitive level. I get that.

What I'm trying to avoid are sports that are expensive to play at a rec level.

I live in the epicenter of the Lacrosse world in the U.S., and it’s about 100 times bigger than hockey here as far as number of kids who play. So boring to watch, however. Problem with hockey is that only 60 D-1 schools play, and only D-1 schools give sports scholarships. Only 2 percent of D-1 students are on athletic scholarships.

Yeah. Obviously, lacrosse is popular due to scholarships. Fan interest is pretty small.

Yeah. Obviously, lacrosse is popular due to scholarships. Fan interest is pretty small.

There can't be any other reason; no one in the U.S. watches the sport professionally.

Lacrosse is big in Southern Ontario, isn't it? John Tavares apparently could have played professionally. I think he made the right choice.

Last edited:

Here's the thing.

Every sport gets expensive when it's played at a competitive level. I get that.

What I'm trying to avoid are sports that are expensive to play at a rec level.

Play the sport with the least equipment.

Does your kid like thumb wrestling?

There can't be any other reason; no one in the U.S. watches the sport professionally.

Lacrosse is big in Southern Ontario, isn't it? John Tavares apparently could have played professionally. I think he made the right choice.
JT was named after his uncle, who was a big time star for the Buffalo bandits & all time leading scorer in the National Lacrosse League

Toronto is great for Lacrosse. The Beaches League is very impressive. My 5 year old plays it and loves it. It's expensive though. The equipment requirement is comparable to hockey.

Last edited:

Every kids activity is expensive nowadays - doesn’t matter if it’s Taekwondo, soccer or a computer class, it’s become a right to print $.

My parents had it easy with “go out & play”...

Yup, I don't know too many parents that have grade school kids not putting them in soccer.

In my day it was 50/50 baseball and soccer

Mine didn't play soccer but that is because it is a winter sport here and I hate standing in the cold and rain in December. He plays spring futsal but that is only 10 weeks. He has only ever been a hockey guy, plus of course swimming and bball at school.

Back