• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

And it was 97 or 98 when I began posting on the Gazette board.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I've seen Leafs fans in open revolt many times over the years, from picketing in front of MLG when Lanny McDonald was traded to the Rockies to the guy who tossed his jersey on the ice at the ACC. The disgruntled Leafs fans share one important trait in common with the blindly loyal Leafs fans: they all pay to see the games. They never stop buying. They never stop coming. They never stop watching. Leafs owners from Harold Ballard to Steve Stavro to Larry Tannenbaum all knew this, counted on it and exploited it for all it was worth.

It took the Habs longer to dumb down the fanbase but they got there and what they weren't able to do the calendar is taking care of for them. We're already going into the second generation of fans who have never seen a victory parade. Their expectations for the team are nowhere near as high as mine. And as fans like me throw up our hands and turn our backs (and stop pressuring for change) we are replaced by generations of fans who are just happy to be there.

Ask yourself the next time you see a game at a sold out ACC: how many of the 19,000 fans in attendance are old enough to remember the Leafs' last Cup?

I went to a few games years ago with suppliers when they were near the end of their shit show , there were tons of empty seats .

Jersey`s were thrown on the ground , thousands left with 15 minutes to go .

That summer the entire team was cleansed and the new Shanny plan was in place.

I am telling you as immune as you think they were the writing was on the wall .

I can see your point 5-10 years ago , its not the same now and it will happen to our team if things dont improve .

You could have a few thousand empty seats even if they are sold , it all adds up to less revenue with a no show .

This time it will be different when it becomes obvious we are doomed in our division for years .

My friends and I didnt make the trip for the first time in 25 years , we cancelled RDS and havent spent a nickel on this team

Give it a few more losing seasons with no playoffs and hope and you will turn off more people than you think . It will affect local TV ratings , bars , etc...

Elliotte Friedman:
Hearing that Mike Futa, concerned about the search being in the middle of LA’s playoff race, has “respectfully withdrawn” his name from consideration for the CAR GM job.

Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

Elliotte Friedman:
Hearing that Mike Futa, concerned about the search being in the middle of LA’s playoff race, has “respectfully withdrawn” his name from consideration for the CAR GM job.
It’s easier to look like a superstar playing second fiddle than chance becoming a screw up GM when the pressures on.

It’s easier to look like a superstar playing second fiddle than chance becoming a screw up GM when the pressures on.

Futa is paid very well just like Conte was in Jersey . My scout buddy says whoever takes the job will be handcuffed financially do do things and is doomed to fail within 3 years . Unless its a young chap like Chaks in Arizona looking to get his foot in the GM door , experienced quality GM in the making types like Fenton and Futa may not take the job.

Futa is paid very well just like Conte was in Jersey . My scout buddy says whoever takes the job will be handcuffed financially do do things and is doomed to fail within 3 years . Unless its a young chap like Chaks in Arizona looking to get his foot in the GM door , experienced quality GM in the making types like Fenton and Futa may not take the job.

New ownership however may do things differently and this is a team with some good young talent spread all over the roster.

If the new GM has more financial resources this can be a pretty good team sooner than later

New ownership however may do things differently and this is a team with some good young talent spread all over the roster.

If the new GM has more financial resources this can be a pretty good team sooner than later

Their entire roster is mainly the secondary support pieces . Aho and TT cant be your 2 top forwards and compete.

They need to nail down a stud in a draft or they arent going anywhere like us and just tread water .

Nice players like Skinner and Hannifan but unless your adding the main course like CMD , Hedman , Ovy they are doomed .

Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

It’s Jim Nill all over again - Nill knew he’d fail as Habs GM and tarnish his “greatness” perhaps forever, opting to play second fiddle in Detroit. Until the perfect opportunity came knocking - I.e non traditional hockey market with no pressure or market demands AND most importantly accompanied with spending privileges.

Don’t blame these guys, good on them for waiting it out. After all non traditional markets has resulted in a good 40-years of hockey GM life for Poile.

It’s Jim Nill all over again - Nill knew he’d fail as Habs GM and tarnish his “greatness” perhaps forever, opting to play second fiddle in Detroit. Until the perfect opportunity came knocking - I.e non traditional hockey market with no pressure or market demands AND most importantly accompanied with spending privileges.

Don’t blame these guys, good on them for waiting it out. After all non traditional markets has resulted in a good 40-years of hockey GM life for Poile.

Yup these gigs are made for Dubas types or secondary staff who may never get a GM job and having a 3 year on your resume at least looks good .

Pleks with no points and -3 since being traded to toronto, who are on their way to losing 5 of 6 since the trade deadline.

Let's bring him back, lmao

Pleks with no points and -3 since being traded to toronto, who are on their way to losing 5 of 6 since the trade deadline.

Let's bring him back, lmao

Yep, the Pens get Brassard and the Jets, Stastny... hello?

The Golden Knights are now playing like most of us thought they would before the season started.

10 point cushion in the Pacific with 12 games left and the preds running away with the west, they have nothing left to play for.

Preds are the first team this season to clinch a playoff berth.

Back