• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Off-Season Thread 2017

No I think Vesey was a much better prospect than Butcher.

I think Butcher is worse than Schultz or Vesey in terms of his probability of making the NHL lineup.

Except we don't have the same depth on D that we do at forward
I dunno. The situations are more similar than you'd think.

I mean, obviously we had a greater quantity of legitimate and high-end forward prospects. But there were also a lot more NHL roster spots available for those forwards.

On defense, and in particular on the left side (and Butcher IS a LHD), we've got Rielly and Gardiner locked into the top-2 spots for the foreseeable future. And Marincin is likely locked in as our depth/extra defenseman on the left side this year. That leaves Dermott, Borgman, Rosen, Nielsen & Valiev all competing for one availalble roster spot.

If we added Butcher, he'd probably be middle-of-the-pack in that group at best, which is pretty much the same situation Vesey would have been in had he signed with us last summer.

No I think Vesey was a much better prospect than Butcher.

I think Butcher is worse than Schultz or Vesey in terms of his probability of making the NHL lineup.
Yes, he was. No doubt.

As I mentioned above, I'm not comparing the quality of the two prospects, so much as the competition either would face for a regular roster spot on this team.

I really don't think Marincin has the inside track as the 6th / 7th guy. If Babs likes him, he would have played more than 25 games last season.

I think with the top 4 set, it will be Carrick, Marincin, 2 Swedes, Dermott, Valiev, Nielson (long shot), Liljegren (long shot) + Butcher if he signs here competing for 3 spots. That's 9 ppl competing for 3 spots.

And I think Carrick has the inside track. So it's more like 8 ppl competing for 2 spots. And Butcher will rank below Marincin, at least 1 of the Swede, and probably Dermott in that competition.

I wouldn't come here if I were Butcher.

I'm not sure Vesey was a better prospect than Butcher. He had NHL size, but otherwise was a year older and a late bloomer. Vesey was never part of the USNDTP, or the U17 or U18 teams. He didn't really do anything impressive until he was a 22 year old in college. Butcher's resume is pretty impressive going back to his pre draft years. He was always a good prospect. But at the end of the day he is a 5'10 170 pound defenseman.

it is also tougher for Butcher to crack the NHL lineup compared to Vesey, given there are 12-13 F's on a team, but only 7 D.

Report: Babcock, Lamoriello visit CSKA D Ozhiganov in Moscow

According to Russian news outlet Sovetsky Sport, Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock and general manager Lou Lamoriello recently travelled to Russia to meet with CSKA Moscow defenceman Igor Ozhiganov.

Ozhiganov, who will turn 25 in October, is entering the final year of his contract with the KHL club. He posted eight goals and 22 assists in 50 games as an All-Star with CSKA last season, adding one assist in nine playoff games.

As Pavel Lysenkov of Sovetsky Sport writes, the Maple Leafs held a similar meeting with Nikita Zaitsev a year before the team signed the CSKA standout to a one-year contract in 2016. The Leafs re-signed Zaitsev to a seven-year, $31.5 million contract in May.

Ozhiganov, a right-handed shot, has 21 goals and 59 points in 159 games over the past three seasons with CSKA Moscow and Novosibirsk Sibir.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-babcock-lamoriello-visit-cska-d-ozhiganov-in-moscow-1.836943

tough physical RHD that can also do this:

[video=youtube;BOeMJvo1FyQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOeMJvo1FyQ[/video]

At first that last move I thought he just lost it and got it back, but those replays clearly show that that was intentional and well executed. Here's hoping we get a found wallet.

Big shot.

[video=youtube;t962QOidIAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t962QOidIAs&vl=en[/video]

Probably not. He probably wouldn't even want to because of the Olympics. But they did the same thing with Zaitsev. Had him locked up a year before he could actually sign.

KHL-NHL equivalency is pretty close, NHLe numbers put him at a 25-30pt defender in the NHL.

SNET reported Ozhiganov is also on Tampa's radar, and he's a good friend with Kucherov. Kucherov has been urging Tampa to sign him. So even though it's good news we started scouting him before anyone else, there's no guarantee he will sign with us.

In fact, if Dermott / Nielsen, and Rosen / Borgman pan out, Ozhiganov can see that he has some decent competition to crack the NHL lineup here in Toronto (then again, even tougher competition in Tampa)

SNET reported Ozhiganov is also on Tampa's radar, and he's a good friend with Kucherov. Kucherov has been urging Tampa to sign him. So even though it's good news we started scouting him before anyone else, there's no guarantee he will sign with us.

In fact, if Dermott / Nielsen, and Rosen / Borgman pan out, Ozhiganov can see that he has some decent competition to crack the NHL lineup here in Toronto (then again, even tougher competition in Tampa)

Ozhiganov is a RHD. Only person ahead of him on the depth charts would be Zaitsev. Maybe Carrick.

Back