• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Off-Season Thread 2017

Killer93

Incredible season. Proud of what the team accomplished and the growth in our young guns. Lots of decisions and choices await in the off-season. I feel as though a lot of us will be let down as I don't think there will be HUGE significant changes. Really hoping we had at least one top 4 d-man. Party on this off-season.

WPyW3DB.gif

I'm not expecting earth shattering changes. ..but jvr for a defender is pretty likely as are some other blueline upgrades and probably a heavy body that can play a bit being added to the forward group

Pretty confident they won't over compensate and trade a Willy type for a rhd. Could see kapanen or jvr being in play though. I'm fine with that if they get a legit top four guy.

Other than that they'll improve every year just from staying the same. They had three dominant infants. Unbelievable

Yeah I agree nothing significant. There may not be any changes up front other than some more young guys like Kapanen getting a shot.

They'll need to figure out what to do with/how to replace Hunwick and Polak. Thats the biggest decision of the offseason.

Although I could see them going hard after a guy like Williams, Marleau, Sharp, Campbell with all the cap space they have this year. A more impactful Boyle type addition.

1. Get a top pair matchup defensive defenseman. Preferably RH, but not necessarily. A guy like Erik Johnson or Chris Tanev would be perfect.

2. Keep/make room for dermott, leivo, soshnikov.

3. Re-sign Boyle or similar center.

4. I'd probably trade JVR and Bozak coming off of career years. If they're part of the package for that RHD that's cool.

Key roster pieces ready for next year:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Leivo - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Boyle - Soshnikov

Rielly -
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Valiev

Andersen
Sparks

That team would be better with JVR and Bozak on it, of course, but trading them for other pieces and/or trading them for futures and using the capspace to buy other pieces are probably better options.

1. Get a top pair matchup defensive defenseman. Preferably RH, but not necessarily. A guy like Erik Johnson or Chris Tanev would be perfect.

2. Keep/make room for dermott, leivo, soshnikov.

3. Re-sign Boyle or similar center.

4. I'd probably trade JVR and Bozak coming off of career years. If they're part of the package for that RHD that's cool.

Key roster pieces ready for next year:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Leivo - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Boyle - Soshnikov

Rielly -
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Valiev

Andersen
Sparks

That team would be better with JVR and Bozak on it, of course, but trading them for other pieces and/or trading them for futures and using the capspace to buy other pieces are probably better options.

I agree but it they have to trade kapanen for a top 2/4 rhd d, they have to do it. Think he is definitely in play.

Kap's playoffs were huge for this organization. Think he proved that he will at least be a third liner, possibly second. Kid is still a baby. Don't think he had much trade value before but his stock went up. Time to capitalize potentially.

They're not trading Kapanen.

One of Bozak or JVR, and Leivo andSosh are both likely to be packaged and sold off.

If we're defining "significant" as one of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Gardiner or Rielly getting traded, then I'd agree with those saying nothing significant will happen this summer.

But I think this is going to be a very busy off-season for our management. At the very least, I'm expecting:

• The addition of at least two new blueliners.

• A deal involving one or some of our young supporting forwards, since Kapanen looks ready to make the team, and Soshnikov*, Leivo, Rychel, Leipsic, Brown & Hyman all lose their waiver-exempt status next year (*The Leafs could safely send down Soshnikov out of training camp, but he'll lose his waiver-exempt status as soon as he plays three more NHL games). Adding to that glut is Miro Aaltonen, the 24 year-old KHLer that the Leafs signed to an ELC.

• One of, or both of JVR/Bozak being traded.

• At least one notable addition on the free agent market.

I think there's also the potential for some really interesting moves, with the short-term cap space the Leafs have available, and the reality that it's no longer crazy to expect this team to finish fairly high in the standings and make a serious run as soon as next season. And it's a short window where Matthews, Marner & Nylander will all be on rookie deals.

They should trade Lupul to Vegas or Phoenix. A team that needs the cap hit to reach the floor, but doesn't want to pay anything. With one year left they can probably do that, which will open up an additional $5.25 million before they are able to put him on LTIR.

I'd also trade JVR. That gives the Leafs a ton of cap room to play with. I'd explore signing some quality vets on 1-2 year deals, while we have a ton of cap space.

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Williams/Marleau-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Hyman-Boyle-Sosh
Martin-Fehr

Rielly-(Manson?)
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Wideman/Hainsey/Campbell/Polak
Carrick

Getting rid of Lupul would be nice.

I guess it's not a huge deal, and I wouldn't want the Leafs to pay any kind of significant price to do it, since they can just LTIR him, but just getting his deal off the books would make managing the ELC bonuses less of a headache. One thing in their favour is that he's a $5.25M cap hit, but is only owed $3.75M. So maybe that makes him appealing to a cap-floor team.

There's also the buyout option, which would be $2.75M against the cap next year, followed by $1.25M. But I'd be a little surprised if they went that route at this point.

Getting rid of Lupul would be nice.

I guess it's not a huge deal, and I wouldn't want the Leafs to pay any kind of significant price to do it, since they can just LTIR him, but just getting his deal off the books would make managing the ELC bonuses less of a headache. One thing in their favour is that he's a $5.25M cap hit, but is only owed $3.75M. So maybe that makes him appealing to a cap-floor team.

There's also the buyout option, which would be $2.75M against the cap next year, followed by $1.25M. But I'd be a little surprised if they went that route at this point.

I thought it's 2/3 of the salary spread out over two years?

agreed. they know the time is now. no time to waste. a couple key moves and this team can be one of the cup favorites.

We actually have two windows.

The next two to three years, where we can load up with a few expensive old vets to make a run.

And then the post-ELC years, where we'll need to rely on drafting important complementary players.

For the near term, grab some star geezers and make a run.

The 18th overall is also critical this year. It's probably the last time we draft below 20 for the foreseeable future. We really need to grab someone good.

Back