• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017 Summer Transfer Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The window hasn't opened but we have a few signings.

Tuttosport in Italy reports that Juventus have signed Wojciech Szczesny from Arsenal. He had spent the last 2 years on loan at Roma.

Arsenal signed defender Sead Kolasinac on a free transfer from Schalke.

Antoine Griezmann has apparently nixed moving this summer due to not wanting to leave his teammates hung out to dry, with Atletico under a transfer ban. While I'd like to see him in the PL, I'd rather it be someone besides MU, since Jose would find a way to make him boring.

Antoine Griezmann has apparently nixed moving this summer due to not wanting to leave his teammates hung out to dry, with Atletico under a transfer ban. While I'd like to see him in the PL, I'd rather it be someone besides MU, since Jose would find a way to make him boring.

Yep, he called it a "dirty move". He may be the only Frenchman not moving this summer, if you believe even a small sliver of the rumors.

Fair play to Griezmann, too. It would suck to be selfish and leave your club in the lurch with no way to replace you. Good on him.

On the other end of the spectrum ...
Sounds like Costa is either being shoved out at Chelsea or is trying to buy up the entire jerk store and force his way out with the giant crowbar of his horrible personality.

On the other end of the spectrum ...
Sounds like Costa is either being shoved out at Chelsea or is trying to buy up the entire jerk store and force his way out with the giant crowbar of his horrible personality.

They're not mutually exclusive...

Everton have beeen busy, splashing £25 million on keeper Jordan Pickford from Sunderland and £23.5 million on attacking midfielder Davy Klaassen from Ajax.

Arsenal finally get the world class striker that Wenger has been looking for since Henry left. Alexandre Lacazette signed from Lyon for a reported 53 million Euro fee.

Well that's a tidy little profit if true. Am I the only one that's slightly concerned that Lukaku might not be an elite level striker? He's always struck me as by far the most dangerous during the counter when defenses are in chaos, but often seems invisible against better more organized teams.

Well that's a tidy little profit if true. Am I the only one that's slightly concerned that Lukaku might not be an elite level striker? He's always struck me as by far the most dangerous during the counter when defenses are in chaos, but often seems invisible against better more organized teams.

Oh ... Lukaku is an elite level striker ... like 30% of the time. When he's engaged and playing hard he's as good as anybody in the world. The problem is that that only happens like once or twice a month. That level of engagement ain't gonna cut it with Chelsea or Man United, and I guess those clubs figure that once he's in their system and playing for a club with a chance to win something meaningful then he'll turn on more regularly. I've got my doubts.

So I was somehow completely unaware until the other day that John Terry signed with Aston Villa and has just been named captain. On one hand, Terry is probably still good enough to be a very effective Championship level defender. On the other hand, I've gone 35 years not having to root for John Terry (I assume he was a crappy baby) and I don't want to start now.

So I was somehow completely unaware until the other day that John Terry signed with Aston Villa and has just been named captain. On one hand, Terry is probably still good enough to be a very effective Championship level defender. On the other hand, I've gone 35 years not having to root for John Terry (I assume he was a crappy baby) and I don't want to start now.

Ditto. Super conflicted on this ... which is probably why I didn't post anything when they signed Terry in the first place. Thing is, I'm 90% certain he'll do a good job on the pitch and be a good captain. I just can't stand the guy.

Yeah, on the other hand, I've been able to separate my feelings for someone as a person vs their performance. Judge the art, not the artist and all. I enjoy R Kelly's music and I used to be a baseball fan and def rooted for Curt Schilling who I have far far more negative of an opinion toward than I do of Terry who is just kind of a twat.

Speaking of Villa and old guys ... looks like Steve Bruce just can't resist Ahmed Elmohamady. He's signing him for the THIRD time, and for three different clubs.

Chelsea have agreed a 70 million pound fee for Alvaro Morata from Real Madrid, subject to a medical and agreement on personal terms.

Wojciech Szczesny moves from Arsenal to Juve on a 12.2 million pound deal, and he signed a 4 year contract. He had been on loan at Roma for the last 2 years. He'll sit behind Buffon, for at least this year.

Back