• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017 NHL Entry Draft thread

Jeremy

Friday June 23 (7pm Sportsnet/NBCSN) and Saturday June 24 (10am Sportsnet/NBCSN). United Center, Chicago, Illinois.

First round draft order:

1. New Jersey Devils

2. Philadelphia Flyers

3. Dallas Stars

4. Colorado Avalanche

5. Vancouver Canucks

6. Vegas Golden Knights

7. New York Rangers (from Arizona)

8. Buffalo Sabres

9. Detroit Red Wings

10. Florida Panthers

11. Los Angeles Kings

12. Carolina Hurricanes

13. Vegas Golden Knights (from Winnipeg)

14. Tampa Bay Lightning

15. Vegas Golden Knights (from New York Islanders)

16. Calgary Flames

17. Toronto Maple Leafs

18. Boston Bruins

19. San Jose Sharks

20. St. Louis Blues

21. New York Rangers

22. Edmonton Oilers

23. Arizona Coyotes (from Wild)

24. Winnipeg Jets (from Columbus via Golden Knights)

25. Montreal Canadiens

26. Chicago Blackhawks

27. St. Louis Blues (from Capitals)

28. Ottawa Senators

29. Dallas Stars

30. Nashville Predators

31. Pittsburgh Penguins

Toronto Maple Leafs current picks (7):

Round 1: 17 overall
Round 2: 59 overall
Round 4: 110 overall & 124th overall
Round 5: 141 overall
Round 6: 172 overall
Round 7: 203 overall

Last edited:
Lots of interesting names. Cale Makar, Nick Suzuki, Timothy Liljegren, Erik Brunstrom, Kailer Yammamoto, Elias Petersson, Juuso Valinaki, Klein Kostin, Jake Ottenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valimaki's one of the few draft-eligible players I've been keeping an eye on for most of the year.

A six-foot-two, smooth-skating defenseman that was PPG+ in the WHL in his draft year? I'd gladly sign up for that.

Valimaki's one of the few draft-eligible players I've been keeping an eye on for most of the year.

A six-foot-two, smooth-skating defenseman that was PPG+ in the WHL in his draft year? I'd gladly sign up for that.

Yeah, I'm not sure he makes it to 17th Overall. That's my concern. This is such a boom/bust draft with so few relatively safe picks in the first round that I can see a team blowing their brains out on Valimaki early.

With the final playoff round over the last two draft slots are set and updated.

Last edited:
Latest mock draft has us taking Liljegren at 17

This could be another case of a gem dropping due to lack of exposure this year from mono and injuries

A highly creative mobile D man with a heavy shot would be a great grab

That would be great, but I'd be really shocked if Liljegren dropped that far.

I mean, this is a puck-moving, right-shot defenseman that was getting some first overall talk last year.

Me too. I see him going in the top 10 by someone trying to snag themselves another Karlsson.

I don't think he is the next Karlsson. He is an unreal skater, but just hasn't shown anything close to that kind of offensive ability or hockey IQ. Brannstrom would be that potential offensive stud IMO.

There are lots of interesting guys like that in this draft. Heiskanen, Makar, Branstrom, Valamaki, Liljegren. Another name that hasn't been mentioned much is Urho Vaakaninen. Played in Liiga at 17 this year, and put up similar numbers to Heiskanen. Was also dominant against his peers (6 pts in 5 gp at U18, and 13 in 18 in Liiga U20 league at 16). He also played in Liiga at 16.

Then a guy like Henri Jokiharju, who put up similar numbers to Sergachev in his predraft year.

You have to figure there will be a good dman there at 17.

His offensive ability and hockey IQ are two things some scouts have been raving about. A talent like Karlsson is rare and I dont believe he is the next one but the comparisons are there

Pre Draft Year

Karlsson - J20 - 10gp/2g/8a/10p
Lilijegren - J20 - 29gp/7g/15a/22p

Draft Year

Karlsson - J20 - 38gp/13g/24a/37p
Liljegren - J20 - 12gp/5g/2g/7p

Karlsson took a major step forward his draft year but Liljegren showed signs of putting up similar numbers the year before. Did mono play a big part in his lack of progression? We saw first hand what it can do to a players full potential with Marner this year

If the only thing holding him back from going in the top of the draft this year is lack of exposure this year then I would take him over most of the D ranked above him

Last edited:
Yeah he is great, I just don't see Karlsson. Karlsson's hockey sense is probably the best in the world. Those expectations are probably the biggest reason why his stock is fallen. He was so impressive at 16, but at 17 just didn't explode with the expected level of dominance that people placed on him. But he still had a great year and is the same prospect he was a 16. Injuries are a factor too.

The same thing happened with Chychrun, Kylington, Fowler etc. They were so great at 16 that people placed unrealistic expecations on them for the pre-draft year and when they didn't live up to that they fell. But Fowler still turned into that top pairing dman, and Chychrun and Kylington look on the way to that too. Could see the same thing with Dahlen next year too, if he doesn't look like the best 17 year old dman in the SHL ever next year.

It would be nice to take advantage of that.

Bobo released his final rankings today.

16. Timothy Liljegren
17. Eeli Tolvanen
18. Klim Kostin
19. Ryan Poehling
20. Cal Foote

Bobo released his final rankings today.

16. Timothy Liljegren
17. Eeli Tolvanen
18. Klim Kostin
19. Ryan Poehling
20. Cal Foote

I know people are down on this draft but I'm actually pretty optimistic we can get a nice piece at 17 next weekend.

My top 5 based on who realistically could be there. Assuming guys like Valimaki, Petterson, Andersson, Vesalainen, Suzuki are gone.

1. Timothy Liljegren - Righty dman, with elite skating ability and puck skills. Would be BPA by a mile and fit the biggest organizational need.
2. Erik Branstrom - Put up over a ppg in the Swedish U20 league, which borders on Karlsson-esq production. Unreal skill. Size is the only questionmark.
3. Eeli Tolvanen - Another guy who is only in this range because of size. He has put up elite production at ever level for his age. Has elite goal scoring talent.
4. Urho Vaakainenen - Outside of a crazy U18 tournament, there isn't much difference between Vaakainenen and Heiskanen. Big. Can skate. Has played pro hockey since 16 as a dman. Probably doesn't have crazy upside, but has all the makings of a big, all around minute eating defenseman.
5. Jake Oettenger - Has put up stupid numbers across the board, and has the size you want from a goalie. And this draft kinda stinks, so not a bad chance to take a risk on a goalie high.
Henri Jokiharju - Another guy that doesn't stand out as elite, but an elite skating, righty dman that looks like he can become a big minute, two way NHL dman.

Mock drafts must be the harder to do this year because of Vegas. How many picks will they have? have they had time to scout these players thoroughly? what's their draft strategy? BPA? need? or players who are closest to the NHL?

Back