• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Protected List - Expansion Draft Thread

Re: Protected List

This is a momnumental opportunity for Marc Bergevin. He is 5 years into his tenure as GM and has yet to contribute to its core. It will be YEARS before this kind of crop becomes available again, he should be putting together an astronomical offer for LV to try and fill the holes on the Habs.

Vatanen
Kruger
J.Johnson
Kronwall
Marchessault
Staal
Scandella
Dumba
Neal
Strome

This is a weak draft and the Habs SHOULD be in win now mode. Why not propose a hefty offer for 2-3 of these guys to solifiy your team?

Some of those are not on the market. It is believed that Vegas already made a deal with Anaheim on who they are going to take. There is also a deal with Columbus. There is also a deal with the Isles. These are just the ones that have leaked. We don't know about others. Though i saw Scott cullen saying as many as 7 trades are made.

Some of those are shit too... Kronwall and Kruger I wouldn't even want.

Some of those are not on the market. It is believed that Vegas already made a deal with Anaheim on who they are going to take. There is also a deal with Columbus. There is also a deal with the Isles. These are just the ones that have leaked. We don't know about others. Though i saw Scott cullen saying as many as 7 trades are made.

Some of those are shit too... Kronwall and Kruger I wouldn't even want.

At least 2 will be. Guarantee you can get at least one of those MIN options (Staal/Scandella/Dumba)

I don't expect Vatanen, Strome and Neal to be available due to side deals in place with Ana, Isles and Preds.

Staal & Marchessault would fit the bill - Habs need to focus more on offense than D IMO.

Anyone think Thomas hickey would be a good fit here?

Hickey and Staal make it happen

Martin Lemay (CBC French) said this morning, he spoke with McPhee couple of weeks back & was told LV is going after value (a pick now to select a player who can then be flipped next deadline for additional pick) because none of the players they select at expansion draft will be around when they're ready to compete. He's sure Plekanec will be taken.

Martin Lemay (CBC French) said this morning, he spoke with McPhee couple of weeks back & was told LV is going after value (a pick now to select a player who can then be flipped next deadline for additional pick) because none of the players they select at expansion draft will be around when they're ready to compete. He's sure Plekanec will be taken.

McPhee was using Lemay to get to Bergevin. #Machiavelli

I hate giving up draft picks to get rid of a player, especially if its anything higher than a 4rth rounder

They should just buy him out

SOmething tells me we will give the 3rd we acquired for NB or a second (wash or ours which is not far from a buf 3rd), In fact, that would have
been the purpose of the trade. Instead of losing NB, trade him for them to pick Pleks (though the sabres)

Last edited:

SOmething tells me we will give the 3rd we acquired for NB or a second (wash or ours which is not far from a buf 3rd), In fact, that would have
been the purpose of the trade. Instead of losing NB, trade him for them to pick Pleks (though the sabres)

Yeah, that makes some sense to me. I think a 3rd round pick is about as much as I would want to deal to dump Pleks contract, so if it costs the pick we got for Beaulieu, that works for me.

How 'bout both for 2-picks!

No way....we are piss poor on prospects after the Chevy trade .

Let us be the facilitator to get picks and prospects at the deadline.

It's not like freeing up some cap space is going to win us a cup this year . Let Vegas take Pleks or Emelin as freebies .

I hate giving up draft picks to get rid of a player, especially if its anything higher than a 4rth rounder

They should just buy him out

Buying him out doesn't get rid of the cap hit... you'd get 2 million this year and another 2 million next year.

No way....we are piss poor on prospects after the Chevy trade .

Let us be the facilitator to get picks and prospects at the deadline.

It's not like freeing up some cap space is going to win us a cup this year . Let Vegas take Pleks or Emelin as freebies .
IMO this management team & ownership group is obviously focused on trying to win now. Acquisition of NHL ready talent vs drafting & development in the near term.

Besides u add players like Drouin (22), and potentially Beauvillier (20 on ELC) + Leddy [26 signed for next 4-5 yrs at known price ($5M / $5.5M?)], pretty much adding NHL ready young players....and buying a few years for drat system to catch up. Leddy becomes Markov replacement & buys 2-yr window (min) to acquire/draft the next Dman in the rotation.

BTW - I hear the next 2-drafts (2018 & 2019) are projected to be exceptionally deep.

I won't care much about our prospect farm if we're getting young NHL players.

with our drafting/development track record, I prefer young NHL players. I would seriously consider trading our mid round 1st every year. those picks are overvalued IMO

with our drafting/development track record, I prefer young NHL players. I would seriously consider trading our mid round 1st every year. those picks are overvalued IMO

At some point it comes back to bite you, but where we are on the curve, we should be pushing in the next couple years. If we can get young guys like Drouin, then at least those are guys who we can build through once this current core is past its prime and we need to rebuild.

Back