• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Protected List - Expansion Draft Thread

Re: Protected List

The thing with Hudon is that he has to make the team next year or be on waivers, so LV have to make sure they have a spot for him. There is a lot of forwards available.

SO many trade options out there if LV is willing to take a player and flip them.

Would love to get staal and scandella from minny through Vegas. But don't see it happening.

Thomas Hickey from the islanders as a left handed Dman???

Jason Demers?? I know right handed

Think Anaheim will make a Deal to leave their D alone.

Jack Johnson?

A team can only lose one player to expansion.

Too early for that. He's not NHL ready though.

Next season is a big one for him. He could be heading into bust territory if he doesn't have a strong season.

The thing with Hudon is that he has to make the team next year or be on waivers, so LV have to make sure they have a spot for him. There is a lot of forwards available.

It's not guaranteed that he makes our roster either, so if he happens to be the guy we lose in the expansion draft, we're still in better shape than probably a lot of teams out there. Like, even if we really liked Hudon, what would we have to give Vegas not to take him? I doubt I would even give up a 4th round pick to protect him. Compared to talking about other teams having to give up a 1st round pick to protect guys.

Protecting Shaw over Hudon is really stupid, specially with such a contract of Shaw, that means this organisation didn't still realize they fcuked it up with such a deal!!!

Protecting Shaw over Hudon is really stupid, specially with such a contract of Shaw, that means this organisation didn't still realize they fcuked it up with such a deal!!!

There is another way to look at it...Vegas probably wont pick Shaw anyway, nor Hudon. Or Hudon might not pan out as an NHLer. So why sour a relationship with a player who is only 25 years old and under contract for a few years by leaving him unprotected? Not a very positive message to a player who isn't that bad and still has a role to play on the team.

Shaw is a little overpaid but the hate for the guy is ridiculous.

Lets look at what he actually does.

Marc Dumont‏ @MarcPDumont
I like Hudon, and he has NHL potential, but there's no way you protect him over Shaw.
Shaw last yr: 55 CF%, 53SF%, & 55% HD scoring chances.

On a 75 million cap... 3.9 for 35-40 pts production per 82 games, on your 3rd line... thats not really as bad as people make it out to be.

Agreed. He could have a bounce back year and everyone will love Shaw again.

There is no hate for Shaw, it's called asset management. With shaw's contract, no one else will be claiming my him, so it allows you to protect another one instead.

I dont think his contract is as bad as stated.

You have a guy with 6 nhl games vs a legit nhler who is a 2nd/3rd line tweener

Hanzal was having an awful season when he was traded.

Also his contract wont mean much when 75% of it is gone at the deadline and vegas eats 50% of the remainder.

LOL if Hanzal is awful, what do you call Plekanec? I think he was at like 6-7 goals on the season through February.

And 5M (his effective) salary is quite some money. LV must be super committed if they are willing to eat all that just for a deadline deal.

Agreed. He could have a bounce back year and everyone will love Shaw again.

Bounce back year? Is not like he lined up 4 seasons of 20 goals/40 points before this year, he once scored 20 in his career, with all chances this guy got on PP his production is really ridiculous and overpaid on term and amount.

Last edited:

I dont think his contract is as bad as stated.

You have a guy with 6 nhl games vs a legit nhler who is a 2nd/3rd line tweener

Totally agree. OK with Shaw, especially on a team with wussy delicate genuiuses.

I'll live with the occassion stupid penalty.

LOL if Hanzal is awful, what do you call Plekanec? I think he was at like 6-7 goals on the season through February.

And 5M (his effective) salary is quite some money. LV must be super committed if they are willing to eat all that just for a deadline deal.

Well the Habs would have to give them something to make them take Pleks. Like maybe a 2nd round pick. Then they'd hopefully be able to flip him for another pick at the deadline if he was having a decent year.

With Plek's reputation as a shutdown center he'd probably garner some interest at the deadline even if he wasn't putting up big numbers.

There is no hate for Shaw, it's called asset management. With shaw's contract, no one else will be claiming my him, so it allows you to protect another one instead.

The issue with Shaw is we do things half ass backwards . You don't give Shaw 4 mil a year when you have massive C holes on your top 6 . This playoff warrior notion is great when you play for an elite Hawk core and your a support piece .

You get Shaw when your team is complete and ready to win , not pay support guys when your scrambling to fill your top 6

Poor asset management by Nero.

I'm not so sure about that. And I'm sure he currently has an higher trade value than Hudon.

Back