Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    My favorite memory is a playoff game, don't know which one where a player from the other team was going 1-0 against our goalie and Stillman came up behind him, lifted his stick turned and threw a pass to Cole, I think and the canes scored to win.

  2. #22
    Hall of Famer cmaleski2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wake County v2
    Posts
    5,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    Kevin Weekes vs. The Devils, 2 on 0 OT 2002. I will never forget that save. Considering the circumstances that was the best save I've ever seen in person.

  3. #23
    Rookie Punzil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fitchburg, Ma
    Posts
    386
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    JB's three are unforgettable, and are definite top 3 for the Canes years.

    08-09 was pretty magical, too. FINALLY beating the Bruins in the playoffs... a little payback felt good. "Scott Walker has broken Boston's heart..." Plus Jussi Jokinen.

  4. #24
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    Quote Originally Posted by cmaleski2 View Post
    Kevin Weekes vs. The Devils, 2 on 0 OT 2002. I will never forget that save. Considering the circumstances that was the best save I've ever seen in person.
    Every time I hear Forslund call that save, I'm surprised he didn't fall out of the booth.

  5. #25
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    I was looking for video of Brindy's goal in 2001. I didn't find it but I found this...the top 15 Hurricanes playoff moments.

    https://youtu.be/9LTU5cCc-L4

  6. #26
    1st Liner SlapShots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    When I first became a fan, I was so actively engaged in hockey. I knew what sticks the players used and their skate preferences. I also remember how loudly Seidenberg's skates were because he used those German blades that could be replaced. Now, I really don't have that level of involvement. In fact, there was time I could tell who was who based on the skating style and how they carried the puck up the ice. With so many newbies and young players, I find myself really having to look at the numbers and trying to tell the difference from Derek Ryan and McGuinn, Dahlbeck from Tennyson, Stempniak from Stahlberg. There have been so many changes and the guys have such learning curves, the connection has been tough with the current iteration of the team.

    I miss the days of Brind'Amour, Francis, O'Neil, Cole and Staal. I could tell Justin Williams from Ray Whitney, Vrbata from Bayda and Vasicek from Adams. Williams was so patient with the puck. Whitney never wanted to really be in heavy traffic, but would if he had to and could get into position to snipe. Sean Hill would be so physical and get himself out of position to make a hit. Wallin was just so steady on the back end. Bret Hedican could skate beautifully-- always wished he had the hands to match. The goaltending experiments of JR were awful-- Jamie Storr, Patrick Desrochers, Trevor Kidd and John Grahame.
    Last edited by SlapShots; 06-18-2017 at 07:07 PM.

  7. #27
    1st Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlapShots View Post
    When I first became a fan, I was so actively engaged in hockey. I knew what sticks the players used and their skate preferences. I also remember how loudly Seidenberg's skates were because he used those German blades that could be replaced.
    I remember when I could do that ... for the '79 Islanders. It would probably come back to me if I watched a couple of tapes. All that knowledge taking up brain space that would really come in handy these days.

  8. #28
    1st Liner
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlapShots View Post
    The goaltending experiments of JR were awful-- Jamie Storr, Patrick Desrochers, Trevor Kidd and John Grahame.
    Tyler Moss anyone?

  9. #29
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlapShots View Post
    The goaltending experiments of JR were awful-- Jamie Storr, Patrick Desrochers, Trevor Kidd and John Grahame.
    Trevor Kidd has a 2.17 GAA and .922 Save % in 47 games in his first year with the Canes. We'd kill for those numbers now.

  10. #30
    Hall of Famer JamesNorthern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Montreal, CA
    Posts
    4,180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    Proxy this guys, its pretty funny. Jeff O'Neill's draft review from Bob MacKenzie
    http://www.tsn.ca/overdrive/video/bo...-neill~1151060

  11. #31
    Hall of Famer cmaleski2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wake County v2
    Posts
    5,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    Bob McKenzie was dead on about O'Neill's work ethic sometimes disappearing. That carried onto his pro career.

  12. #32
    Hall of Famer JamesNorthern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Montreal, CA
    Posts
    4,180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    Quote Originally Posted by cmaleski2 View Post
    Bob McKenzie was dead on about O'Neill's work ethic sometimes disappearing. That carried onto his pro career.
    The best is just his face while he's getting heaped on. Too bad Jeffy ain't involved with the Canes. But I understand the reasons why etc.. family and where he hails from etc.. and not to knock Raleigh, but for his job - he's better off in TO/TSN

  13. #33
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesNorthern View Post
    The best is just his face while he's getting heaped on. Too bad Jeffy ain't involved with the Canes. But I understand the reasons why etc.. family and where he hails from etc.. and not to knock Raleigh, but for his job - he's better off in TO/TSN
    There was a massive Twitter battle yesterday between the 2 of them.

    My first exposure to him as a broadcaster was a radio color commentator for the 2014 Draft. He was very good, well informed and prepared, even for the kids not coming from the OHL, you could tell he had spent a good bit of time on it.

  14. #34
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,386
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    O'Neill's work ethic clearly could have been better, that said he is still one of my all-time favorites as a Hurricane. He had a good sense of humor and some skill when the team lacked overall skill on the roster.

    Speaking of O'Neill, I remember when this happened but it is a pretty funny recap from a players perspective. Glad to see he ended up being ok. The Canes overall production value has improved because the early days were scary at times from both a marketing and safety point of view!

    Stormy's pre-season debut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bSpzL9GD-A

    I am sure a lot of players were like "what the heck....a pig???"

  15. #35
    Hall of Famer JamesNorthern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Montreal, CA
    Posts
    4,180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPen View Post
    O'Neill's work ethic clearly could have been better, that said he is still one of my all-time favorites as a Hurricane. He had a good sense of humor and some skill when the team lacked overall skill on the roster.

    Speaking of O'Neill, I remember when this happened but it is a pretty funny recap from a players perspective. Glad to see he ended up being ok. The Canes overall production value has improved because the early days were scary at times from both a marketing and safety point of view!

    Stormy's pre-season debut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bSpzL9GD-A

    I am sure a lot of players were like "what the heck....a pig???"
    LOL

    Here's O'Neill and the gang making fun of Lindy Ruffs cough during an interview. Very funny:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtII_y9Mc9k

  16. #36
    Hall of Famer JamesNorthern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Montreal, CA
    Posts
    4,180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    And finally got through this one hahaha... this reminds me of when I went to a local carribean restaurant, called the Currie House... I had a chicken rotie. My buddy challenged me to try the home made chilli sauce... I busted out in like waves of sweat - glimmering. It was insane hot.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRo-ZOIC1M

  17. #37
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Favorite Hurricanes Teams ... Nostalgia Ave.

    Speaking of nostalgia, an account called Hartford Whalers (@whalerwatch) tweeted out earlier today that Rebecca Lobo is playing in Travelers Championship Pro-Am with Ben Bishop and Retief Goosen. She said she'd teach them the Brass Bonanza.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •