• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Free Agent Thread 2017

So... we start in 2008 to conviently avoid adding Ryan McDonagh & Subban to this list?

Beaulieu, and borderline Tinordi.

Juulsen & Sergachev will play in the NHL

2008 0/5 picks used for D
2009 1/8 picks used for D
2010 2/5 picks used for D
2011 5/7 picks used for D
2012 1/7 picks used for D
2013 0/8 picks used for D
2014 2/6 picks used for D
2015 2/5 picks used for D
2016 4/6 picks used for D
2017 4/7 picks used for D

1st round D selections: Tinordi (22) / Beaulieu (17) / Juulsen (26) / Sergachev (9)

This team has had Markov/Subban or Weber and other solid d-men over that time along with Carey Price and limited to no offence for that same stretch. Why would we draft for D when offence was a glaring need? Not that you should draft for need... but there that is.

I'm no Timmins fan. But if I want to tear him a part for his drafting it would be for his inability to find top 6 talent and his US college fetish.

I don't mind his overall drafting from 2003 to 2007, but he's been absolutely horrible since then, which is why I picked this period. It's been 9 years, it's a long time. And I don't think his US college fetish is worse than his overall record.

And the lack of defensemen is actually surprising because it's something this org has traditionally always been able to find in later rounds (developing is another matter). There is also plenty of NHL defensemen that are drafted in later round so it's hardly an excuse. If anything, Timmins have been way more successful in drafting top 6 forwards (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen, and we'll see how Sven does in Colorado) than defensemen (Beaulieu, that's it, and not even a top4).

If we want to look at defensemen that have been successfully drafted and developed by the Habs, the record is even poorer. I think they screwed up with Beaulieu overall, they even screwed up with Subban but they got an all star out of it so we can't really complain, McDonagh was traded, Weber never amounted to anything with us, Emelin was developed in Russia, Streit was developed in Switzerland and we played him on the wing anyway, O'Byrne was a borderline NHLer with us.

3 top 6 forwards in 9 years, 1 bottom pairing defenseman, 0 goalies. That's how drafting record since 2008.

If you start in 2007, you should also add Yannick Weber to the list, making 3 NHLers. I know he's a third pairing guy, but to get two top pair guys and a third pair in one draft....

They also traded for Greg Pateryn like 3 days after the draft, so Timmins was involved in that too, you'd have to think.

Given that he wasn't involved in the McDonagh trade, I somehow doubt it. Also he had plenty of chances to draft him, including about 9-10 picks earlier but he drafted Jason Missiaen instead.

So exactly how many Dman have the Hawks drafted in the same period? Or how many goalies have the Stars or Blues drafted in the same period?

If you want to compare with the Hawks, this dynasty managed to draft 10 NHL players during the same period. Us? 4-5.

but even the high skool / college players he has done less and less

hell maybe he should do it more
the one non top 5 pick that has turned into a top 6 player was a high school player (max pac)

sure there have been some misses in leblanc, mccarron, tinordi, etc - but he has been terrible in the first round the entire time

McCarron wasn't a miss, it was just a bad pick based on potential. If anything McCarron seems to be achieving what could have been realistically expected of him.

McCarron wasn't a miss, it was just a bad pick based on potential. If anything McCarron seems to be achieving what could have been realistically expected of him.

I consider Leblanc and Tinordi misses as well. Three of the same to me.

McCarron might be better than Leblanc eventually but through 50 NHL games neither has done anything.

Just an FYI Leblanc had 10 points in 50 games McCarron had 7 in 51 games.

I consider Leblanc and Tinordi misses as well. Three of the same to me.

McCarron might be better than Leblanc eventually but through 50 NHL games neither has done anything.

Just an FYI Leblanc had 10 points in 50 games McCarron had 7 in 51 games.

I see it in term of fulfilling potential, now I don't know exactly what potential the team saw in each of them but to me the hope for each was :

* Leblanc would be a solid 2-way player, probably on the 3rd line. Obviously he missed that mark.
* Tinordi would be a solid stay-at-home with physical quality that could ideally play in a top 4 role. He's not in the NHL either.
* McCarron can only realistically be seen as a potential Brian Boyle type. So far he's still in line for it.

The Senators have signed Johnny Oduya to a one-year, $1 million deal.

He can make up to an additional $1.25 million in bonuses.

That's a decent cheap signing. Solid 3rd pair guy that can spot duty on the second pair for cheap.

Back