• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Free Agent Thread 2017

Yikes.

No way Marleau invisioned himself landing a 3 year deal when the season ended. He will be 38 when the season starts. Good for him.

Marleau will either be loved or hated within months around here (I live in Toronto).

Last edited:
Lol, if we given a 3 years Contract to a 38 years old forward, you would all be ripping bergevin a new one.

You're not in the same place roster wise that the leafs are. This is a win now move and we are cap flexible over the next 3 years to manage around his decline. Contract is also structured to LTIR and/or trade his final season if he's done.

Last edited:
Lol, if we given a 3 years Contract to a 38 years old forward, you would all be ripping bergevin a new one.

Maybe some of the posters but not I. Marleau hasn't missed a game in 7 years I think. Ideally a 2 year deal would have been better. But with the youth in Toronto this is a great add for them.

This also probably makes Dallas up their offer to Radulov.

It is unbelievable how things changed for leafs in space of couple years only!!
Drafting a generational talent like Matthews changes everything, however, it's one thing to be a hunter and quite another to be the hunted. The Leafs rebuild is officially over, let's see how new found expectations play themselves out.

It is unbelievable how things changed for leafs in space of couple years only!!
What couple of years, they've blown for a decade. They finally got competent management which is something the Habs will never get under Molson.

What couple of years, they've blown for a decade. They finally got competent management which is something the Habs will never get under Molson.

Habs are screwed....

Their top 2 cap hits are in beginning their 30's......will only decline from here on....this is gonna be fun for whomever inherits this mess in a few years....maybe Julien Brisebois will decide to go elsewhere to avoid this mess

Habs didn't need Marleau but decent pickup for Leafs. I expect him to suck, tho.

His point totals have gone from 70 to 46 during the past 4 years. Tick. Tock.

You're not in the same place roster wise that the leafs are. This is a win now move and we are cap flexible over the next 3 years to manage around his decline. Contract is also structured to LTIR and/or trade his final season if he's done.

He is still a top 10 skater in the league and can finish , wouldnt surprise if he slams 30 goals this year . All your boxes checked off this weekend , help the rebuild , right term, doesnt mess with your future cap .

Didn't even want Marleau. Should fit ok on Toronto, a vet to teach the kids. Too much term, but it is what it is

That's true, the parallel is Markov because like Marleau Markov is till playing good hockey.

I dont think anyone would be too enthused about signing. markov for three years

The Leafs and Habs' situations are very different. I'm quite glad the Leafs are taking advantage of these next few years having Matthews, Marner and Nylander on cheap deals.

Back