Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657
Results 1,121 to 1,133 of 1133

Thread: Free Agent Thread 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Habs4Life View Post
    So... we start in 2008 to conviently avoid adding Ryan McDonagh & Subban to this list?

Beaulieu, and borderline Tinordi.

Juulsen & Sergachev will play in the NHL

2008 0/5 picks used for D
    2009 1/8 picks used for D
    2010 2/5 picks used for D
    2011 5/7 picks used for D
    2012 1/7 picks used for D
    2013 0/8 picks used for D
    2014 2/6 picks used for D
    2015 2/5 picks used for D
    2016 4/6 picks used for D
    2017 4/7 picks used for D

1st round D selections: Tinordi (22) / Beaulieu (17) / Juulsen (26) / Sergachev (9)

This team has had Markov/Subban or Weber and other solid d-men over that time along with Carey Price and limited to no offence for that same stretch. Why would we draft for D when offence was a glaring need? Not that you should draft for need... but there that is.

I'm no Timmins fan. But if I want to tear him a part for his drafting it would be for his inability to find top 6 talent and his US college fetish.
    I don't mind his overall drafting from 2003 to 2007, but he's been absolutely horrible since then, which is why I picked this period. It's been 9 years, it's a long time. And I don't think his US college fetish is worse than his overall record.

And the lack of defensemen is actually surprising because it's something this org has traditionally always been able to find in later rounds (developing is another matter). There is also plenty of NHL defensemen that are drafted in later round so it's hardly an excuse. If anything, Timmins have been way more successful in drafting top 6 forwards (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen, and we'll see how Sven does in Colorado) than defensemen (Beaulieu, that's it, and not even a top4).

If we want to look at defensemen that have been successfully drafted and developed by the Habs, the record is even poorer. I think they screwed up with Beaulieu overall, they even screwed up with Subban but they got an all star out of it so we can't really complain, McDonagh was traded, Weber never amounted to anything with us, Emelin was developed in Russia, Streit was developed in Switzerland and we played him on the wing anyway, O'Byrne was a borderline NHLer with us.

3 top 6 forwards in 9 years, 1 bottom pairing defenseman, 0 goalies. That's how drafting record since 2008.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    If you start in 2007, you should also add Yannick Weber to the list, making 3 NHLers. I know he's a third pairing guy, but to get two top pair guys and a third pair in one draft....

They also traded for Greg Pateryn like 3 days after the draft, so Timmins was involved in that too, you'd have to think.
    Given that he wasn't involved in the McDonagh trade, I somehow doubt it. Also he had plenty of chances to draft him, including about 9-10 picks earlier but he drafted Jason Missiaen instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    So exactly how many Dman have the Hawks drafted in the same period? Or how many goalies have the Stars or Blues drafted in the same period?
    If you want to compare with the Hawks, this dynasty managed to draft 10 NHL players during the same period. Us? 4-5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    but even the high skool / college players he has done less and less

hell maybe he should do it more
    the one non top 5 pick that has turned into a top 6 player was a high school player (max pac)

sure there have been some misses in leblanc, mccarron, tinordi, etc - but he has been terrible in the first round the entire time
    McCarron wasn't a miss, it was just a bad pick based on potential. If anything McCarron seems to be achieving what could have been realistically expected of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    McCarron wasn't a miss, it was just a bad pick based on potential. If anything McCarron seems to be achieving what could have been realistically expected of him.
    I consider Leblanc and Tinordi misses as well. Three of the same to me.

McCarron might be better than Leblanc eventually but through 50 NHL games neither has done anything.

Just an FYI Leblanc had 10 points in 50 games McCarron had 7 in 51 games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    I consider Leblanc and Tinordi misses as well. Three of the same to me.

McCarron might be better than Leblanc eventually but through 50 NHL games neither has done anything.

Just an FYI Leblanc had 10 points in 50 games McCarron had 7 in 51 games.
    I see it in term of fulfilling potential, now I don't know exactly what potential the team saw in each of them but to me the hope for each was :

* Leblanc would be a solid 2-way player, probably on the 3rd line. Obviously he missed that mark.
    * Tinordi would be a solid stay-at-home with physical quality that could ideally play in a top 4 role. He's not in the NHL either.
    * McCarron can only realistically be seen as a potential Brian Boyle type. So far he's still in line for it.

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a riveting summer so far. Talk about nothing Habs to discuss.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    Just a riveting summer so far. Talk about nothing Habs to discuss.
    Always feels like the NHL off-season is like this. Lots of action July 1-2, and then absolutely nothing until early August when arbitration nears.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, just not us but it seems like the whole league has been on vacation since July 3rd or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like most of the moves were done pre expansion draft.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

Post Thanks / Like

The Senators have signed Johnny Oduya to a one-year, $1 million deal.

He can make up to an additional $1.25 million in bonuses.

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a decent cheap signing. Solid 3rd pair guy that can spot duty on the second pair for cheap.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Around the League - Offseason 2017

Mika Zibanejad signs 5 years deal, around 27 million with Rangers.

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657